Wheel Speed/ABS sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BillyEvs

Z3 roadster 2.0

Wheel Speed/ABS sensor

Post by BillyEvs »

Hi,
iv got the dreaded ABS/ASC lights on my dash ever since my coilovers were fitted, is this an mot failure?. Anyway i should have the parts tomorrow but my mot is also tomorrow, i tried to clean them first but i couldn't get the bolts off (seem to have been rounded by someone) anyone know where i can get replacements? id only need the 4 max.

Also, i have not have any codes come up. (my device might not be that great though)

Thanks
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Wheel Speed/ABS sensor

Post by Gazza »

You will need to get the bolts undone (WD40 etc)whatever you do so do that and clean them first ;)

I got replacements on Ebay, you could also try Euro car parts or Greman Swedish French (GSF)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

The bolts are have allen heads on them if they are the original. They sheer off easily so be careful. Lots of WD40 soaking.
BillyEvs

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BillyEvs »

Well bad news, once I finally got to it I sprayed it infact basically bathed it in WD40 I went to put Thr Allen key in and it had been completely rounded! Alan key justt turns in it, someone mit of had a go before I bought it.. Unsure why to do now to be honest.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

There is a tool called something like an easi-out . It' s like a tap but with a left hand thread. You drill a hole down the centre and screw the tap in. This will unscrew the bolt.
BillyEvs

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BillyEvs »

Ah thanks! I garage right near me sells a set for £6 so il give that a go! Il let you know... Thanks again lads
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How about using a pair of grips
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
BillyEvs

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BillyEvs »

The grips wouldn't work, got the easy-out tools so il give that a go tomorrow
BillyEvs

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BillyEvs »

Finally got to change it today, te screw extractor (easy-out) worked perfectly!.. Although the lights didn't go out. So have to double check everything tomorrow..
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

The ABS light often doesnt reset immediately. I find it usually takes a couple of journeys before resetting.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

When trying to removes rusted nuts/bolts,use Plus Gas not WD.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

I had a similar experience. I got mine fault coded and it told me it was the rear speed/abs sensors. I took them out and cleaned them but in the end had to replace both rear sensors. The lights then went out within a matter of meters! The Z3 sesnsors are quite expensive. I managed to track some down on ebay that are for the 318 (search on here for abs sensors and from what I remember there's a link), the only difference being is the sensor lead is longer so you end up with some spare cable. I just coiled mine up and zip tied it out of the way. Tah dah!!! :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Jays Zed wrote:I had a similar experience. I got mine fault coded and it told me it was the rear speed/abs sensors. I took them out and cleaned them but in the end had to replace both rear sensors. The lights then went out within a matter of meters! The Z3 sesnsors are quite expensive. I managed to track some down on ebay that are for the 318 (search on here for abs sensors and from what I remember there's a link), the only difference being is the sensor lead is longer so you end up with some spare cable. I just coiled mine up and zip tied it out of the way. Tah dah!!! :)
I did the same, using part number 34521182067, bought on Ebay, £13.29 each at the moment inc p+p
Gazza

ImageImage