radio question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

radio question

Post by micklaw »

hi all .i have a few questions about the bmw original radio set up.
i am looking at a 6 cd changer on ebay and was wondering what head unit it would have connected to.
would it have been a radio cassette?if any one has any pics of original head units or even better have one for sale
i would be very intrested.
also what would have been the original fitment or was it an extra
thanks mick :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: radio question

Post by Jonttt »

Was an extra and connected to either BMW business or professional head unit in cassette or CD format.

Search eBay for Z3 radios and you will see picks of them

The rover units were the same so you get plenty with little M badges stuck over the rover badge.

The cars needed CD prep ie a special comms cable running to the boot. Some cars may have this installed even without the cd unit from factory. There is also different boot trim needed to mount the unit in the boot.

Most people don't bother retro fitting this due to the hassle and ease of more modern MP3 units requiring no boot mounted unit.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Only the BMW Business Radio/Cassette head unit works with the boot changer, the BMW Business Radio/CD doesn't, if you do a search you will see that other people have had this problem
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

thanks guys for the info.
i have delved a little further today
as have have a bulb blown on my heater panel i removed the sony cd radio today so i could get to the bulb.
on removing the radio i found that a car telephone unit had been fitted (very old school)and some how connected in line with the radio.
i have now removed the phone unitand connected the large plastic connector to the sony head unit.
but i have a question :?
on the plastic multi pin block ( which has a picture of a radio on it) there is a small multi pin silver plug with a thickish black cable.
could anyone tell me what this does :?
i have noticed that the speakers in the foot well do not work i have taken them out of the car and tried the speakers and they both work.
but also noticed they have a small circuit board in them ( is it an amp ?) and is the small silver plug supplying the signal to them.
sorry its a bit long winded but i am just curious :roll:
thanks mick
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

A picture is worth a thousand words! :wink:

I take it you have already identified the aerial lead. The other likely possibility is a cable for a multichanger, which is likely to be in place on most cars - never found the front end of mine, but I do have a DIN connector in the boot.

The footwell amp is most likely the cause of your speaker woes - it can either be bypassed or as I found, simply needs the extra wire connecting for it. On the adapter used for my pioneer unit, I had an extra bullet connector that I needed to mate up to get mine to work. There are a number of threads on here if you search for "footwell amp".

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi robert i think i have found out what the silver plug is.
as you say its for the cd changer i have found both ends
i have got myself a oem cd changer and now trying to get a bmw radio cassette.
thought i would plug the whole system in and wait for the bang :)
and see what happens maybe even the footwell speakers might work
cheers mick
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

found you this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-z3-Philli ... 231d9182c7

its the same as the one i've taken out of my Z which was connected to a multi changer (swapped mine out for a DAB/CD etc. 8-)
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

I bought a new cd radio and fitted it to my 99 Z3 2.0 but wasn't happy with the look so reverted to the original tape /radio unit,bought an E 30 boot player via internet and a new cradle from BMW.I think the cradle was about £35. I took out the back boot liner and fitted the unit to check it fitted and worked.I then removed it and modified the liner with a sharp stanley knife ( only slight mod.) and refitted it.Slightly tricky but everything looks good and it works!!
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

thanks for finding radio i am bidding on it
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

micklaw wrote:thanks for finding radio i am bidding on it
good luck on the bids, i'd sell mine but should i ever have to let my Z go ( lord forbid :) ) i would refit it and keep the DAB.