How many types of tonneau cover?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

How many types of tonneau cover?

Post by John1950 »

Can someone help out with a bit of info please?
I want to know if the Z3 tonneau cover was one size fits all, or were there slightly different models - for example, is the wide bodied tonneau slightly different to the others?

Thanks.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: How many types of tonneau cover?

Post by mfckeith »

all the same john
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

mfckeith wrote:all the same john

OK, that's great.

Thanks.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

There are two versions, one with fixed toggles and one where the toggles are loose fitting, both are the same size.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

never seen two types,do you have photo or part no?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

They look the same, only the toggles are different.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

For all practical purposes there are only two types :- black or beige. :o
Any tonneau will fit any Z3 Roadster. :D
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Gazza wrote:There are two versions, one with fixed toggles and one where the toggles are loose fitting, both are the same size.
Sliding fixings;

Fixed fixings;

The one with the sliding fixings was easier to fit, but otherwise exactly the same except for the colour.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Mouldy wrote:The one with the sliding fixings was easier to fit, but otherwise exactly the same except for the colour.
I have the sliding fixings and still find it hard to fit, particularly the middle two ones. Can't imagine what the fixed ones must be like in that case. :)
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

OldskoolRS wrote:
Mouldy wrote:The one with the sliding fixings was easier to fit, but otherwise exactly the same except for the colour.
I have the sliding fixings and still find it hard to fit, particularly the middle two ones. Can't imagine what the fixed ones must be like in that case. :)

Have a look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA

The music should put you off, but the method of installation is the best and relatively simple with some practice.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Yes, I've seen that before (with the sound off). It's the turning the end pieces that I found tricky doing it this way, though at least I learnt that the cover is meant to tuck in rather than just sit on the paintwork as I'd thought it should. :oops: I tend to just lay it across unfolded then reach down to try to get the inner poppers done up, then the outers. I can do it this way, but I only bother if I'm going out for a long drive with the roof down, otherwise the cover just stays in the boot. :head:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

OldskoolRS wrote:Yes, I've seen that before (with the sound off). It's the turning the end pieces that I found tricky doing it this way, though at least I learnt that the cover is meant to tuck in rather than just sit on the paintwork as I'd thought it should. :oops: I tend to just lay it across unfolded then reach down to try to get the inner poppers done up, then the outers. I can do it this way, but I only bother if I'm going out for a long drive with the roof down, otherwise the cover just stays in the boot. :head:
Last year I went on a touring holiday around Europe and one of the members was very kind and let me borrow his tonneau.
As I ALWAYS put the roof back up when the car's parked, this meant it was up and down like a fiddler's elbow. But, as I wrote last year, the tonneau sits very nicely into the cavity where the roof folds down to. Then, when I wanted the roof down I just lifted the tonneau up slightly, pressed the two poppers onto their spigots and then swivelled the left and right wings round to clip those down too. Then a quick tucking in of all the edges and it was done. After about half a dozen goes I had it down to a fine art and could get the tonneau on in about 20 seconds.
Mind you, I did find it worked FAR better after I'd WD40'd the poppers.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The tonneau is just a useless piece of cosmetic junk, which may be OK if you never have to put the roof up, but otherwise it is best left in your attic! It does not do anything except look nice, which I suppose is important for those who prefer fashion over function.

Without the tonneau the space in front of the folded roof is ideal for storing rolled-up jackets and fleeces, and in the event of a sudden downpour the roof can then be raised without having to get out of the car - the coats etc just fall into the rear, behind the roll bars.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The tonneau is just a useless piece of cosmetic junk, which may be OK if you never have to put the roof up, but otherwise it is best left in your attic! It does not do anything except look nice, which I suppose is important for those who prefer fashion over function.

Without the tonneau the space in front of the folded roof is ideal for storing rolled-up jackets and fleeces, and in the event of a sudden downpour the roof can then be raised without having to get out of the car - the coats etc just fall into the rear, behind the roll bars.
Come come now Mike.
I might agree that in most circumstances a lot of people wouldn't find it it that much use - but, if you're on a long touring holiday, especially in hot dusty places like the Mediterranean, it does a wonderful job of keeping the large amount of dust away. As for the cosmetic effect, well, I quite like that too. I hope I'm not seen as too shallow as a result? I mean, I did choose the Z3 in the first place for it's looks.
By the way, Janet and I found the space directly behind the seats to be very useful last year (we went on a three week camping holiday). If the seats are motored forward, then soft things like coats or our case in was towels and bedding can be placed there and then the seats motored back. It's surprising how much you can carefully stow there and the 'jamming' effect of the seat back against the bits and pieces keeps them secure - bearing in mind the wind.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The tonneau is just a useless piece of cosmetic junk, which may be OK if you never have to put the roof up, but otherwise it is best left in your attic! It does not do anything except look nice, which I suppose is important for those who prefer fashion over function.

carefull John,the oracle has spoken
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I disagree Mike. Having done several fast road runs in less than ideal weather (but with roof down :D ) without the cover on I ended up with a car full of grit and even mud when I put the hood back up as it had collected in the roof during the run. I'm convinced that the air pressure as it flows over the car sucks dirt into this area and the cover is designed so it does not collect there ie it does have a practical purpose but that does not mean its not cumbersome to put on and off :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's funny - last time I looked, this was a discussion forum, where contributors have differing opinions, but it seems 'mfckeith' - whoever he is - prefers to have everything in the same shade of PC grey. It seems that he feels no-one should have a view he does not agree with!

At least I have the guts to let people know my name, rather than hiding behind a silly label which could easily be interpreted as an obscenity.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

It would be a boring old world if we all agreed !!

I like the cover on, it looks better, without it my zed looks like it has a kids buggy folded up and stuck behind the seats lol

Love the forum , keep it up guys
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

It's funny - last time I looked, this was a discussion forum, where contributors have differing opinions, but it seems 'mfckeith' - whoever he is - prefers to have everything in the same shade of PC grey. It seems that he feels no-one should have a view he does not agree with!

At least I have the guts to let people know my name, rather than hiding behind a silly label which could easily be interpreted as an obscenity.

dont get your nickers in a twist, i agree a forum should cater for different veiws it just seems you think everone should agree with you and you seem to treat everyone as morons who should not have veiws of their own.Its that i've told you and i am allways right attitude thats gets peoples backs up.
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

I treat my cover as a an important part of the car which should be looked after .Mine when not in use is hanging in the garage, open, with a rope through it to keep it looking good, and i clean it regularly to keep it as new. it looks great when fitted to the car. :wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

This is a Discussion Forum, it is also a helping hand to those that have little or no mechanical knowledge.

Personal opinions are welcomed but personal attacks are not.
Gazza

ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

never used the thing and never will.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

A few of the newer forum members may not know that you don't need to use the inner fixings, it holds on ok just using the outer fixings
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Geoff H wrote:A few of the newer forum members may not know that you don't need to use the inner fixings, it holds on ok just using the outer fixings
good advice that , I do the same as you .... it makes the car look a bit sleeker but takes up a lot of space in the boot for me to have it with me al lthe time .... in weather like this its great,as you can remove it when its bedtime for the car (without garage ) and file it with all the other goodies (junk) :D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'll be using mine at Silverstone, finishes the car off.

I agree that they can be a pain, but if you have a garage and keep the roof down then why not use it :wink:

Now what is a pain is the roof panels on the Corvette, although to be fair they do supply a nice bag to put the panels in and a storage area for them behind the seats.
Gazza

ImageImage
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

By the way, Janet and I found the space directly behind the seats to be very useful last year (we went on a three week camping holiday). If the seats are motored forward, then soft things like coats or our case in was towels and bedding can be placed there and then the seats motored back. It's surprising how much you can carefully stow there and the 'jamming' effect of the seat back against the bits and pieces keeps them secure - bearing in mind the wind.
Hi John, long time, no speak! Haven't enough fingers & toes to count how many times I've seen 'Union Jack' written recently, without a 'Man O' War' in sight :shock:

We also find that is an enormous help, using behind the seats when using the Zed on hols. Problem is on the way to your destination, the passenger being so much further forward, restricts your view to the left on French roundabouts and junctions! Which makes it even more of a relief when you finally arrive. :D

With regard to the tonneau cover, ours is in the spare room, taking up almost as much room as an unwelcome guest. It's a shame someone hasn't realised that there is a opening for making a small fortune, manufacturing a soft, flexible roll up cover that can be packed in a corner of the boot until it's required. :idea:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
drillerman47

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by drillerman47 »

We have a tonneau cover. Can't quite see the point of it unless you live in a country where it never rains as it takes a while to put it on and is quite fiddly as well. However, they do make it look very neat and tidy.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Are they all black?
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Z3andZ4 wrote:Are they all black?
Hi, no, you can get beige/tan as well, but not blue, red or green that I have ever seen or heard of.
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I've used mine twice in 12 years of Z ownership. I did hear somewhere that if you travel in Belgium it must be fitted as the metal folding spikes are deemed to be a hazard and must be covered by a tonneau or similar.
Could be wrong though.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Just put a later style one on Ebay 330742549142 if anyone is interested :lol:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

John1950 wrote:
OldskoolRS wrote:Yes, I've seen that before (with the sound off). It's the turning the end pieces that I found tricky doing it this way, though at least I learnt that the cover is meant to tuck in rather than just sit on the paintwork as I'd thought it should. :oops: I tend to just lay it across unfolded then reach down to try to get the inner poppers done up, then the outers. I can do it this way, but I only bother if I'm going out for a long drive with the roof down, otherwise the cover just stays in the boot. :head:
Last year I went on a touring holiday around Europe and one of the members was very kind and let me borrow his tonneau.
As I ALWAYS put the roof back up when the car's parked, this meant it was up and down like a fiddler's elbow. But, as I wrote last year, the tonneau sits very nicely into the cavity where the roof folds down to. Then, when I wanted the roof down I just lifted the tonneau up slightly, pressed the two poppers onto their spigots and then swivelled the left and right wings round to clip those down too. Then a quick tucking in of all the edges and it was done. After about half a dozen goes I had it down to a fine art and could get the tonneau on in about 20 seconds.
Mind you, I did find it worked FAR better after I'd WD40'd the poppers.
I've just been rereading my piece above and it need correcting slightly. I mentioned that the tonneau sits very nicely into the cavity where the roof folds down to - this is wrong, it goes behind the seats and rests on the transmission tunnel. Of course, this means the up and down switches for the roof are covered but all you have to do is use your left hand to lift the tonneau a couple of inches from the bottom and the switches are revealed. The roof then operates as normal. I've found I can fit the tonneau in a matter of seconds - really - do it 2/3 times and suddenly it becomes a usable item!
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

John1950 wrote: As I ALWAYS put the roof back up when the car's parked,
Those 'signature' pics look parked to me ....... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

gookah wrote:
John1950 wrote: As I ALWAYS put the roof back up when the car's parked,
Those 'signature' pics look parked to me ....... :D
Ah ha! Caught me out.
But, it's on my drive and I was busy giving her a good polishing - honest!
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

My tonneau cover is in the same place that it's been since the day I bought the car brand new in April 1999 ... in our loft.
E36-SCHNITZER

BMW other

Post by E36-SCHNITZER »

Don't forget the rare speedster cover, I was offered one of these years ago but I thought it looked to aftermarket
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

E36-SCHNITZER wrote:Don't forget the rare speedster cover, I was offered one of these years ago but I thought it looked to aftermarket

Now that would be a pain to store.
Gazza

ImageImage