Advice needed on fitting hard top brackets etc: Urgent!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Advice needed on fitting hard top brackets etc: Urgent!!

Post by Fenlander »

Hi All,

I have now started to have a go at fitting the fixing brackets to the Z (then the hard top later this week) Have got the downloaded BMW instructions for the Substructure (brackets) but am struggling in removing the rubber trim covers to the rear of the seats above the damper units for the electric hood operation; how do you get them off without causing them major damage in order to gain access to the area where the brackets are to go?

Also if anyone can help; is there anything else I would need to know before I start this job as have only got a short time to do this in this week?

Thanks in advance

Fenlander
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Advice needed on fitting hard top brackets etc: Urgent!!

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you are referring to the rubber domes on top of the rear damper mounts, just try a mixture of brutality and common sense! Squeeze and pull while tilting them, and they come off easily.

Come on, try harder next time!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I know the trim you mean - it fits behind the roof hinge and tapers into the softtop box - it needs to be removed in order to fit the hardtop brackets and there is a set of alternative trim that fits in its place when the brackets are on the car. If memory serves Dave L2 posted about his problems with this and how it appeared to be glued down and was more or less destroyed removing it from the car. I did a search earlier, but unfortunately couldn't find the thread - there is always the possibility it was a verbal conversation.

Mike, the rear suspension top mounts do not come into play when fitting the hardtop brackets - they are buried under the lining for the softtop box - the area we are working on for this is the side wall of the car immediately behind the hinge for the roof on the B-pillar.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Ah - it sounded like the hardtop was secured to the damper mounts . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I concur that I had to virtually destroy the two bits of trim to remove them. Having said that, once left they sprung back to shape and probably could be reused (I'd have to stick one piece back on but I don't think it would show once reinstalled). I plan to sell the hardtop separately should I deceide to sell the car in future as it seems to add little extra value to the car if included, yet as a standalone item is worth maybe £500 plus the fitting kit. Therefore I'd recommend trying your best to get the trim out without totally wrecking it.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

As Rob says, I had to pretty much destroy mine to get them out. Not only are they glued in but they also have a molded lip that sits underneath other trim parts. Here's a couple of old pictures that might give you an idea.

HTH
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

I have managed to get the hard top brackets on the car and the top onto the brackets / car today (bloody miracle)

Been for a test flight and the only problem is wind noise from the front so will be playing around with the adjustment again tomorrow.

So my next question is: has anyone else had the problem of wind noise so to speak from the front? Odd sounding question I know but any further advice would be greatly appreciated again!

Once completely happy with it all I will put some photos out.

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not had any problem with wind noise on mine, except when I take it off and the first outing reminds me just how much noise you hear through the softtop. :wink:

If you remove the plastic covers, you should see that the front brackets on the hardtop adjust both forwards and back and left right, so it should be possible to get a very good fit. The rear adjusts as well on both the roof and brackets and it is possible to adjust each side in all three directions.

Cheers R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Re the wind noise, it can sometimes just be a case of really tightning the front bolts and conditioning the rubbers helps them to swell.

I can't remember the correct procedure for fitting the hardtop but I tighten the front first then the rear.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

Success!!

Hard Top now installed (and bloody typical change in the weather!)

Well at least the Z should be a bit safer now from f..k-wits with stanley knives etc, thats the risk of not having a garage I'm afraid - ho-hum, anyway after discovering the reason it wouldn't align correctly on the front, it was the left bracket (sheared off stainless bolt nicely stuck in there) had to get that drilled out, then a few test flights to get shot of the wind noise and I have a neat looking little coupe now, so am well pleased. Many thanks for all the replies.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That's good news. You should put it on more often though - this top down weather we're currently having is great! 8-)

Cheers R.
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

Yeah, typical its just turned out like this but being faced with the choice of get rid or keep and change the car to coupe it was a no-brainer for me; as I can't put in to words how much I would hate not to keep it after owning it for nearly 4 years, there's not another car out there that comes anywhere close to a Z and I would think many others would be the same if in my situation (violins playing at this point)

So for now its a tin top, but should I win the lottery I'd get a garage and a blanket, and carpet under her tyres, and a soft cover to keep her warm all night, etc etc (dream on!)

Anyway once camera batteries charged will have a go at doing some photos etc.

Fen