UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pacey

Z3 roadster 1.9

z3 roll bars - roll hops

Post by pacey »

does anyone have this roll bars?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160679430414?ss ... 1423.l2649

please post a photo of them installed?

i think with them i loose a storage box?

si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z3 roll bars - roll hops

Post by si-forks »

You will loose the storage box if you fit any roll bars on early Zs these are mine not the same but similar

Si-forks on tapatalk
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

si-forks wrote:You will loose the storage box if you fit any roll bars on early Zs these are mine not the same but similar
What makes you say that? Rollhoops can be retrofitted to any zed from '97 on and provided you change the trim, a small storage box it retained. The same is true of post-facelift zeds, they just have different trim. If you fit a one piece rollbar, then you will definitely lose access to the storage box, on an early or late zed.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pacey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by pacey »

si-forks wrote:You will loose the storage box if you fit any roll bars on early Zs these are mine not the same but similar

Si-forks on tapatalk
this looks nice to me :)
did you drill storrage box? or put on him ? is it stable/steady?

wheare did you buy yours?

Thank you 8-)
Robert T wrote: What makes you say that? Rollhoops can be retrofitted to any zed from '97 on and provided you change the trim, a small storage box it retained. The same is true of post-facelift zeds, they just have different trim. If you fit a one piece rollbar, then you will definitely lose access to the storage box, on an early or late zed.

Cheers R.
yes they can be retrofitted to all z3 models, but for rollbar and complet set is to much money.. :|

This storragebox is useless anyway for me...maybe i can drill and put subwoofer 8" to fill gap :D

if anyone have more photos, please post(from diffrent angle)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sorry, I didn't follow the link earlier. I see these are two separate hoops, but with dummy inside legs. You don't need to drill the storage box lid for these, but you will still lose access to it. On a pre-facelift car you won't have the turrets with the popout panel as per that ebay ad - these can be retrofitted quite easily or you can drill the existing ones and use a couple of grommets to fill the holes.

I used to have a CD multi-changer in the original storage box, and even with the smaller one, I still manage to cram an awful lot of stuff in there. You would certainly have room to accommodate a subwoofer between the hoops if that's what you want.

Cheers R.
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Here you go

They never really stayed in place and used to spin around because the holes were in the wrong place.
Cheers

Marc
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Marc, did you secure them with the two Torx bolts that fit into the pre-threaded holes in the mounts underneath the turrets? The hoops on mine are secure enough that you can rock the whole car with them, and I'm sure they would stay in place with just the outer mount (they are the OEM hoops, so I have inner mounts to). The outer mounts are incredibly substantial and I would have thought that the two bolts would hold them very firmly if torqued up correctly.

Cheers R.
pacey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by pacey »

thank you msassoon

i think i will look for oem, or do like on upper photo
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I did tighten them up a lot, but they just spun on the chromed pipes. I was going to try the ones that have a bar between the hoops

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-STAINL ... 3a73143975

but found some OEM parts and did that instead.
Cheers

Marc