Dash cams

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dash cams

Post by John1950 »

Over the last couple of years, I've noticed how quickly dash cam videos are appearing on YouTube etc.
It's got me thinking - they seem to be a great idea for things legal, sorting out arguments about blame etc..

So, has any one got one? I'd like to find the name and spec and pricing of good models with HD quality recording.
As usual, your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Dash cams

Post by Geoff H »

A few of us on here did buy something like you are on about a few years ago, so there should be something on here if you search. The ones we got were very small not much bigger than your finger. I will have a look at mine to get the name off of it.

Edit
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ra#p212214
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think dash cams should be obligatory these days, pedestrians cyclists motorcyclists cars vans all in a bloody hurry to get somewhere, could prove very useful.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

John,

If you've seen them on YouTube, I guess you've come across a guy called Techmoan?

If not, he loves his gadgets (especially cameras) and has done some excellent reviews on quite a few HD dash cams. He tends to review the cheaper end of the market, but he's pretty amusing and quite thorough, so well worth a look if you have few spare minutes ...or hours!

There's often quite a bit of feedback on his YT videos and on his website http://www.techmoan.com, from people who have bought the same cameras and been using them for a while too.

Dom
RobGoldsmith

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RobGoldsmith »

phone?
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

DomS wrote:John,

If you've seen them on YouTube, I guess you've come across a guy called Techmoan?

If not, he loves his gadgets (especially cameras) and has done some excellent reviews on quite a few HD dash cams. He tends to review the cheaper end of the market, but he's pretty amusing and quite thorough, so well worth a look if you have few spare minutes ...or hours!

There's often quite a bit of feedback on his YT videos and on his website http://www.techmoan.com, from people who have bought the same cameras and been using them for a while too.

Dom
Hi Dom

Well, I'd never heard of this site - or the 'unique' presentational style!
I've already had a look at three or four videos - and I see what you mean - it's very easy to sit, click, listen, click again, ad infinitum...
I've not seen a dash cam yet - well, I haven't looked, I must get things done. But, this evening I'm going to have a really good look - like Gazza, I think if everyone had a dash cam fitted insurance premiums would fall - and innocence (ok, guilt too) would be much easier to sort out.

Many thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Had a quick look on Techmoan's site. Very entertaining, and potentially expensive :shock:
I followed his link to eBay regarding a car cam, and found a couple at around £30.00. But there was one from Korea for £135.00 which was really interesting as it was compact, and provided features which would really put one in the position of determining who did what when and how, as it connects with Google Earth, and will allow recording of directional movement as well as a host of other data like time, speed, etc. It ammounts to an on-board "black box" for a car.
An interesting addition to car security too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions