Finally ABS/ASC light issue fixed !

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Finally ABS/ASC light issue fixed !

Post by skeete »

So my story began just over a year ago. I was driving along and my ABS + DSC light come on for no apparent reason. They stayed on until I parked and used the car again clearing themselves after a few minutes.
I took my car for an MOT and get an advisory that the ABS/DSC lights are on. It passes as this is 2011 and the MOT rules were different..
I was told by the garage that my ABS pump was faulty (This is an Indy, NOT BMW). I take this news with a bit of skepticism as I don't think I have ever heard of anyone have an ABS pump fail in any make model or year of car. The control modules fail, but not the pump.
So I carry on my merry way ignoring the problem as it makes no difference to me, I don't drive quick enough to worry about ABS and never wheel spin away.
10 months later, around Jan this year the lights come on and stay on. My MOT was due in April and I quickly find out that this is now a straight out fail.

I purchase a couple of front ABS sensors off fleabay along with a full set of discs and pads for the hell of it.

Off come the discs and I attempt to get the sensors out.. by god was that a job from hell.
I ended up cutting them in two using a hacksaw and then hammering them out with a center punch ! 6 damned hours it took me to change the discs, pads and sensors.

Go out for a test drive. Same problem.

I get the rear wheels off, change the discs, handbrake pads, springs etc.. and check the resistance of the rear ABS sensors, all seems fine.

I take it in to the same Indy for its MOT and of course it fails. I am told the same thing "ABS pump". If you don't know, the part alone is nigh on £1,500 + fitting.

I bite the bullet and take it to my local main Stealer Syntner Maidenhead. They take a look at it and tell me its the rear right ABS sensor.
They were so good that they didn't even charge me for the diagnostic and ordered me the part. £110 for two.

Parts come and I fit them.. (this is now 1 day before my MOT actually runs out) and the problem is still there. So I assume the fault needs clearing by BMW.
Off I trot and they can't clear the fault as they are getting no signal from the rear sensors.
Now it turns out that the BMW system is out of date and there are other ABS sensors which should have been ordered which of course are £40 more expensive.

Now I am without a car. BMW fit the sensors and the problem goes away.
I ask them to do another MOT while its there as my faith in the Indy (Boxer Motors) has sunk to an all new low.
BMW charge me £0 for Labour as they openly admitted to it being their fault.
After the MOT they even hoovered and cleaned my car. All in all it cost me £200

I get the car back. No advisories. Job done ! .... or is it.

They have reset my radio. I ask them for a code and they give me the wrong one, so its now locked.
I wait an hour and go back.. Get another code.. Wrong one...
This ones still not fixed, but at least the ABS lights are no longer coming on.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Finally ABS/ASC light issue fixed !

Post by Zed Carer »

Pleased that you've got the problem sorted but:
skeete wrote: I take it in to the same Indy for its MOT and of course it fails.

I ask them to do another MOT while its there as my faith in the Indy (Boxer Motors) has sunk to an all new low.
The new requirements should have come into force on 01/01/12 but VOSA issued instructions that there should be a bedding in period until April and Advisories should be issued. This has recently changed again as discussed HERE and HERE. The latest that I have heard is that it could be Autumn or Winter before these new requirements finally come into force. So you just might want to ask your Indy why your Z3 was failed on the ABS?
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

so there are uprated sensors then :rtm:
the badness makes me do it...!

skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

So you just might want to ask your Indy why your Z3 was failed on the ABS?
I asked and they said the rules had changed. I had read the rules the same as you have described. the MOT was performed on 20th April so was passed this bedding in period and I couldn't be arsed arguing with the tester as he was a bit of a jobsworth, or at least seemed to be.
so there are uprated sensors then :rtm:
Not uprated, just different. The ones I got given originally had Blue connectors, whereas the correct ones had grey connectors. Might be worth checking you get the correct ones if you order them from BMW.
AFAIK the difference was that the Blue ones give no resistance and pulse "on" when the wheel turns, whereas the grey ones give a resistance and pulse "off" when the wheel turns.

Changing the rear ones was a breeze compared to the fronts, only took about 5 minutes, you might if your lazy even be able to do it with the wheels on.
z3chuckles1

blank

Post by z3chuckles1 »

On a slightly different note and a top tip when buying a car is check the handbook against the dashboard lights that should come on with the ignition, I have seen first hand a underhanded dealer (no longer trading !, says a lot) who had removed certain bulbs from behind a dash, to then sell on to an unsuspecting customer. Same would go for an mot tester as and most cars have blanks for some lights on the dashboard as same used for different specs, so a tester would not know what should or should not light up without a full manual for the car. Worth double checking and bearing in mind when buying a car especially an older one that could have electronic gremlins or know faults.
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

z3chuckles1 : check the handbook against the dashboard lights that should come on with the ignition
The MOT test regulations state that the DSC switch must illuminate and delluminate the light on the dashboard to prevent exactly that scenario. It doesnt stop the more devious characters wiring in a 9v battery to the switch, but its a detterant to the lazy, fat and ignorant scammers (which most of them are).

You are right though, best to check everything is as it should be when you buy a car. Act like a 5 year old and press every button!