Bonnet stuck shut

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kjayf

Other roadster

Bonnet stuck shut

Post by kjayf »

Hi
I have a slight problem in that I cannot open the bonnet of my Z3, when I pull the lever in the footwell there is little to no resistance, therefore I suspect the cable has broken or the connection linkage broke. Is there a straightforward method of opening the bonnet in this situation.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Bonnet stuck shut

Post by motco »

I had this happen and my local Indie workshop opened it and sorted out a new catch and cable. It involves popping out the kidney grills I believe. Good Luck!
bobi

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by bobi »

i too have this problem it was intermitent but now stuck closed all the time,,,,2 things i do that work..1 get someone to lift bonnet whilst you pull lever,,,,2 put some thing under bonnet release lever deicer tin with lid will do then you can lift bonnet,,,,,ive adjusted screws under bonnet ive greased the pin and springs and cable,,,,,,ive just got used to the 2 methods !!!!

Bob
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Try asking someone to press down on the bonnet while you pull the lever, it may be that the cable needs lubricating. :idea:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
kjayf

Other roadster

Post by kjayf »

thanks for the replys, I have tried pushing on the bonnet , but to be honest I am 99% sure that the cable has broken, I will attempt removing the bonnet grills later this week.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

There is a removable tray underneath the front bumper, held on by 4 or 6 screws, with 8m hexagonal heads. If you remove this tray, you may be able to reach up underneath and release the bonnet catches. This will be far less risky than trying to push in the kidney grills! :) Jack up the car and support it on Axle stands in order to reach the catches.

John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:There is a removable tray underneath the front bumper, held on by 4 or 6 screws, with 8m hexagonal heads. If you remove this tray, you may be able to reach up underneath and release the bonnet catches. This will be far less risky than trying to push in the kidney grills! :) Jack up the car and support it on Axle stands in order to reach the catches.

I think it's a question of pulling them out not pushing them in.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

John1950 wrote:
EnthuZiaZT wrote:There is a removable tray underneath the front bumper, held on by 4 or 6 screws, with 8m hexagonal heads. If you remove this tray, you may be able to reach up underneath and release the bonnet catches. This will be far less risky than trying to push in the kidney grills! :) Jack up the car and support it on Axle stands in order to reach the catches.

I think it's a question of pulling them out not pushing them in.
Hi John, the Kidney Grills can be quite fragile, I have taken mine apart quite recently, with the utmost of care. The Silver surround at the front, locks into the black vertical louvre, sandwiching the bonnet between the two parts. When I replaced them, I found it very difficult to get the two parts to lock back together. One is still a little loose. Far safer to remove the panel underneath and reach up to get at the locks! :)

PS Important. Always support the car on axle stands when working underneath :)