Soft Top Protector Covers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
richboy

blank

Soft Top Protector Covers

Post by richboy »

There are a growing nunber of owners concerned about the lack of quality hood covers on the market.I recently bought one on ebay made by Buzz Tops 2011.It was only £44.99 plus postage and is the best value for money ever.Fantastic quality and fits perfectly.I recommend this as a must for all Z owners.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Soft Top Protector Covers

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Hi Richboy, have just bought one last night, looks the part and just the job. Have been trying anchor all sorts of covers with elastic and hooks etc, only to find it has blown off overnight :roll: Relieved to hear you recommend it! :D
Last edited by EnthuZiaZT on Tue 12 Jun, 2012 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
drillerman47

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by drillerman47 »

Good find! just what I was after!! BTW, the actual name is "Buzztopz", with a "Z" not "S". Makes it easier to search.
Thanks
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:Hi Richboy, have just bought one last night, looks the part and just the job. Have been trying anchor all sorts of covers with elastic and hooks etc, only to find it has blown off overnight :roll: Releived to hear you recommend it! :D
pm sent...
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

richboy wrote:There are a growing nunber of owners concerned about the lack of quality hood covers on the market.I recently bought one on ebay made by Buzz Tops 2011.It was only £44.99 plus postage and is the best value for money ever.Fantastic quality and fits perfectly.I recommend this as a must for all Z owners.

We need photo's .....it's the law.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Yes some pics would be good please or weblink :lol:

My new works car park is surrounded by trees etc and been thinking of a hood cover for during the day. The other week the hood was plastered in dandelion seeds :P :head:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Is this the sort of thing on Fleabay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160804955704? ... _684wt_922

I wouldnt mind one of these. Perhaps we could arrange a group buy with a discount.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Any early feedback on how these tops perform in the recent wet weather? I tried two cheaper outside covers over the past year - one was like a large bin liner and allowed no air in/out and a second was made from grey nylon type material that was not waterproof at all. I've spotted this item which claims to be a quality item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260941836298? ... 1423.l2649
Nelson

blank

Post by Nelson »

Hi -I invested in a really good cover from http://www.cover-zone.com - I have had a Monsoon cover supplied by them,its a fantastic product,fits like a glove,has straps underneath so it wont blow off or damage the bodywork with straps-this cover kept my Z3 dry all last winter-I still use it when the car is not in use-really good buy at about £141-you may get a better price if you give them a call-Nelson

Mod Edit: Fixed link
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

TitanTim wrote:Yes some pics would be good please or weblink :lol:

My new works car park is surrounded by trees etc and been thinking of a hood cover for during the day. The other week the hood was plastered in dandelion seeds :P :head:

Tim.
Thumbs up :thumb: for the Buzz Topz Soft Top cover received yesterday. :D

Here are some pics for you.

Neatly finished piping round the edge.

The last picture is of the inside showing the magnetic strip round the edge.

Can recommend this as a purchase, Fred's Dad has posted the ebay web address in this thread

walter05

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by walter05 »

Hi, i purchased hood cover after seeing same on Z3 forum It fits perfectly and withstood the recent high winds and rain up here in peak district.Im really pleased with it and fully recommend its purchase
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Hi guys that have the buzztopz cover---looks great and am thinking of getting one but do you reckon there is any chance of the, what looks like hard plastic surrounding the magnetic strip,scratching the paintwork?
richboy

blank

Post by richboy »

No worries Leeming.The Buzz Tops cover I bought doesn't scratch at all.It fits brilliantly and has protected my Z3 well during all the bad weather we've been having.It holds well in the wind and terrific value for money.I recommend you buy one ! Have a nice one mate !!
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

leemingz3 wrote:Hi guys that have the buzztopz cover---looks great and am thinking of getting one but do you reckon there is any chance of the, what looks like hard plastic surrounding the magnetic strip,scratching the paintwork?
We haven't had the cover very long, but it does not appear to have scratched the Zed so far! :) It doesn't clamp down on the paintwork, there is only a very light magnetic grip!

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mike, thanks so much for posting pics :) Have just ordered one as getting fed up of where I park at work, near some trees :x this will be just the job :)

Tim.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Have just joined the growing number who purchased one of these. I am impressed with this tough, heavy-duty, waterproof cover. The weight of the material, magnetic edge and Velcro strap under the wing mirrors, all stop it flapping around in the winds. Just the job for the wettest June drought for 100 years.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Had mine for about a week now, stops the local cats clawing my new roof :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Seconded, good value for money :lol:

Tim.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Pleased to have helped, Tim :)

We have been asked if it would fit a Z4 aswell, We think it will, although the wing mirrors are slightly higher, we were going to try it on one during our last cruise, but forgot! :roll:

Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I strongly recommend using a blanket to protect the rear window - it could get scratched when fitting the cover :bawl:
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
milli

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by milli »

i just brought one very pleased with it :)
walter05

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by walter05 »

Kept my protective cover on during the rains. Left it on for a few days of sunshine.when I came to take it off to use the zed it left part of the magnetic rubber surround sticking to the paintwork and i cant budge it. Ive washed it,soaped it but no joy. Any ideas anyone?
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

You could try petrol.

Personally, I wouldn't put any magnetic substrate onto any of my cars, or vans!

Jeremy
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Bit of a post Resurrection but I am need of just this item.

Just a general question.

How are you all finding this product........ :?:

Thank you
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Vic-Z3 wrote:Bit of a post Resurrection but I am need of just this item.

Just a general question.

How are you all finding this product........ :?:

Thank you

To be honest I've not used it much, I will when the weather gets a worse to save spoiling my new softop :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Think its worth contacting the seller for a Group Buy?
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

M@r]{ wrote:Think its worth contacting the seller for a Group Buy?
im in for a group buy :D
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

I have contacted (BuzzTopz) Richard direct and he has said that he can post three out for the same cost in carriage.

So if three of you are interested contact him on 01803 428206.

I have allready sent for mine..........Pity ...

Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I was interested, I wanted something to put over the roof when the car was out in the sun. Partly to stop the leather getting dryed out and shrinking and partly so we weren't getting into an oven for a drive home.

But the post above regarding the magnetic strip sticking to and marking the paintwork after a hot day is putting me off in a big way. But I can't seem to find any alternatives at the moment.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

walter05 wrote:Kept my protective cover on during the rains. Left it on for a few days of sunshine.when I came to take it off to use the zed it left part of the magnetic rubber surround sticking to the paintwork and i cant budge it. Ive washed it,soaped it but no joy. Any ideas anyone?
Any photo's?

It might be a warning to others maybe not to leave the cover on in direct hot sunshine as sounds like the rubber gets soft and sticks and once cooled down is stuck to the paintwork.

I imagine most times the cover gets used is during the winter, another thing to keep in mind if using the cover in freezing temps is freezing to the paintwork :shock:

I've used mine once but haven't had any problems upto now but that was on a cool windy day.

Tim.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'm surprised it left a mark, mine has been on during hot days, wet days and on new paint, no marks whatsoever.
Gazza

ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I’ve used mine a lot this year and found it great and extremely good value for money. I’ve had no issue with anything even approaching the magnetic strip problem mentioned above. The strip in question is about one inch wide and is hard and plastic in character and not soft rubber. This may have been an isolated issue.

With regard to having magnetic material attached to the bodywork long term – I have not heard adverse feedback about the popular rear wheel arch stone guards many forum members have used and those are presumably left in place very long term.

The cover material is very heavy and strong and doesn’t flap around in the wind. I have read many sports car forums where members have had paint abrasion issues with the lighter weight covers that clip to the wheel arches. This is apparently caused by the long term flapping and movement of the cover. Before buying this cover I experimented with two lighter weight half covers and noticed this happening after quite a short time. I have checked the paintwork where this cover rests on my car and I have not noticed any scratches or abrasion marks.

I have found it to be totally waterproof and whilst I would not be keen to completely wrap any car in a 100% waterproof cover as it does not allow any ventilation, this does not appear to be a problem with this cover as it is covering a fabric top which itself allows a certain amount of ventilation and the edges do not clamp so tightly around the car that no air gets in and out.

I have noticed that after several days of very wet weather a bit of moisture does appear to creep horizontally under the magnetic edging strip and so gets trapped. I do not tend to leave the cover on for very long periods. I do not take the car “off the road” in the winter.

When the car is dry, I have also noticed vertical tide marks down the doors after a lot of rain, where dirty rain runs off the top. These wipe off with a damp cloth easily enough

Being heavyweight and black in colour I would not see it as a cover ideally suited to just providing UV protection. In an ideal world it would be also be silver/reflective.

My original fabric hood is looking a bit worn in places and I don’t like leaving it exposed 24/7/365 particularly in the winter months. I feel a lot happier with this cover and hope I can squeeze another year or so out of the hood.

Finally, I find it very quick and easy to both put on and take off.
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Dave L2 wrote:I was interested, I wanted something to put over the roof when the car was out in the sun. Partly to stop the leather getting dryed out and shrinking and partly so we weren't getting into an oven for a drive home.

But the post above regarding the magnetic strip sticking to and marking the paintwork after a hot day is putting me off in a big way. But I can't seem to find any alternatives at the moment.
I bought a cover last year from;
http://www.capoptop.com/ and its great for protection from the sun whilst parked with the top up or down. I get my money`s worth using it here for 6 months of the year not sure if you guys would over there.(Apologies for rubbing it in-ex pom you see)
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

The wording "Water Resistant" always rings a bell for me. I prefer the wording "100% Waterproof" ........ Well it is England and just look at the summer we just had.

John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

drillerman47 wrote:Good find! just what I was after!! BTW, the actual name is "Buzztopz", with a "Z" not "S". Makes it easier to search.
Thanks

The URL makes it even easier still:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-HOOD-SOFT ... 0884111688
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Just awaiting the postman for mine ...................... :)

EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Still haven't had a problem with ours, having had it since June last year, we have not had any scratching or marks at all. It is a good quality product a fits the bill prefectly!

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Postman delivered ................................. :D

Now on car and just in time ........... :)

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and within a couple of days the paintwork has been marked, it wasnt windy at all so it definately wasnt moved whilst fitted, the car was very clean before putting on but i am struggling to get the 'patern' of the stitching and strip off my paintwork. I contacted the seller, Buzztopz, and asked if i could have a replacement as the cover is the best cover i have come across - and wondered as the stitching tension was faulty on this cover that that was the reason maybe why it had made the marks, the return comment wasnt very pleasant but i did get a full refund. He wasnt interested in the marks on my zed as i asked if i could send him photos of the marks for further advice if he had any, but the reply was that they would be of no use and would only end in futile correspondance. He also said that i had sent it back damp which i definatly did not, and that he wouldnt beable to pack it as new and re sell it :shock:

So, I would be very wary of this item.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Sorry you a bad experience Gill

Did you mention that a few of the members had bought them ?
Gazza

ImageImage
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

seasurfer wrote:
So, I would be very wary of this item.
And perhaps of recommendations from members with only four advertising posts!
Shame as it looks like basically a good cover.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Indeed ........................ :bow

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

DC wrote:

Dave.

Hmmmmmm, Googled Buzz tops and it came up with a few different Forum posts, ie MX5,MGTF and the OP has only a few posts on each (different name on each). Seems we have a very clever marketing person signing up on various Fora just to recommend the cover.
Gazza

ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Gazza wrote:
DC wrote:

Dave.

Hmmmmmm, Googled Buzz tops and it came up with a few different Forum posts, ie MX5,MGTF and the OP has only a few posts on each (different name on each). Seems we have a very clever marketing person signing up on various Fora just to recommend the cover.
Nothing wrong in that in my book, apart from it would be better not be to be masquerading as a Zed owner and just come clean that they sell soft top covers for different makes and models, I would still have bought one.

A few of us bought one and have been very happy with them, sorry that Jill has had some problems with hers though :(

Tim.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think it's deceiptful, much prefer the clean approach
Gazza

ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Gazza wrote:I think it's deceiptful, much prefer the clean approach
I entirely agree Gary, seems daft why the seller would need to do it that way if they were selling a decent product, as said I would still have bought one but there you go.

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Gazza, Yes! i saw the chap and had a chat at Zedfest with him just as i had ordered my cover. I used it not long after that, I had asked him for a replacement which he agreed to but then i had a shirty email off him saying there was no point sending me another one and that he had refunded my money. I would have been happy to try another one, the tension on the stitching was very loose on the edging strip and thought that if that was properley sewn then the problem might no occur. Maybe he got me mixed up with someone else between emails, i dont know, but it was an uncaring response from a seller of a product which had damaged my car.
My bodyshop chappy has some majic stuff so i am off to see him soon (be4en too busy with work and holidaying :D )
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

'If they were selling a decent product'

I have a company involved in the design and installation of vehicle graphics, I choose not to use magnetic substrate on any vehicles because of the problems previously described. I know of companies that insist the customer, wanting magnetics, sign a disclaimer because too many magnetic systems fuse into or mark the paintwork. In the early stages of fusion, I have heard it said that lighter fluid is an effective means of removal, but when it fuses hard, then the only way of removal is by way of a grinder.

It might be a good idea to have the manufacturer give some kind of assurance that this could not and will not happen with their product ... I would be interested to hear their reply!

Cheers
Jeremy
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Radlit i would be interested too. Thanks for your information. Maybe someone could contact him and ask him this question- dont think he will reply to me but i could try if peeps want me to.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

It'll be interesting to see if 'richboy' replies to this thread now...