Soft Top Protector Covers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Soft Top Protector Covers

Post by kamagloire »

I'll be getting one shipped out to Australia at some point. Was worried for a while, but the seller coming on here and eventually giving good customer service to the disgruntled minority, has convinced me it's worth a try. You weight up your need and the risk indivdually, I suppose.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Well I have had zed in the bodyshop, they couldnt move the marks by hand but a machine polish has got rid of them all so i am really pleased that his paintwork now looks like it should again and Mr Moore has paid for the work carried out.
I am still intrigued as to why this happened and know there are at least three others with the same problem but no nearer to finding out why whilst there are quite a few who have not had any problems, very strange :roll:
[/url]
ImageImageImage
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

That's good to hear, Gill. Bet you were relieved :D If you fancy selling the cover, I think M@r]{ the Drifter was after one, he's on this forum! :)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, i sent the cover back, but he can contact them direct to buy one.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I've seen marks like this before when I worked in a bodyshop left by masking tape! It's down to very soft paint usually straight colours, red was always a favourite for it but also black.

Put anything against it for any length of time and it will leave a mark, explains why some are having issues but not others.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Devon Z

How do you know if the paint is soft? or what makes it soft? It might be interesting to ask the others who have problems if their paint is a straight colour, at least its a starting point.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

These magnetic things are ok if both surfaces are completely clean otherwise you can expect scratches just like the stone guards, great as long as you only put them on when the car is clean. :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I would suggest a simple remedy...the magnetic strip needs to be covered with a thin cotton fabric in the manufacturing process. That way it'll still hold to the car without the plastic to paint issue.
Another consideration is the manufacturing process of any plastic material...it is coated with a "release agent" so that it doesn't stick to the machinery / mold etc which determines it's shape. This agent is generally an "oily" substance, and may even include various silicon type chemicals. What the effect is on paint is questionable, since all paints are formulations of plastics too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

cotton bed sheet might work well, cut into strips and sewn into place. I do get some light marking with my cover but they polish out quite easily, as noted before some paint finishes may be harder than others, mine is Boston Green..
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

As I understand it, if you have a metallic paint then you should have a couple of layers of clear hard lacquer on top. This protects the metallic paint and has further benefits in that the appearance it is less likely to look damaged through e.g. Bird poo - although I think it's always best to get that straight off anyway. Solid colours generally don't have a lacquer finish so are more susceptible to light scuffing and scratching. Then to add to it further, more modern paints are supposedly less environmentally negative but that manifests in that some types are "soft"meaning they scratch easily.

My main car is a 56 Honda Civic in Rosso Red and it needs more attention to keep it shiny than my 4 year older Estoril Blue Z3 roadster. The Honda's paint is really pitted and chipped all over. I asked the factory about this and was told its down to the environmental restrictions that changed the paint type a few years back. BMW used to market themselves on the number of layers of paint they'd use so that is an additional factor between my Honda but I think the main point is the presence of the lacquer on certain finishes.

Hope that helps.
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

yes that makes sense, I know the older oil based paints seemed far more resilient than the newer water based types..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As far as I'm aware, all cars are finished with a clearcoat type paint. This is what gives the shine. The base coats / colours aren't glossy or as durable as the clearcoat. I would hazard to say that the comment about softer paints being more environmentally acceptable is bung....I would suggest that most modern cars have a "built in life expectancy" of around 5 - 10 years. By that time they look like **** and their puny little turbo assisted motors have given their best, plastic parts are starting to loosen at their fixing points, and the interiors are tatty, and the owners buy new. This makes economic sense to any manufacturer....numbers. Used to be that a car body had something like 6 or 7 layers of paint, if they get 3 or 4 now it's about right. Plastics weigh less, less paint weighs less, pressed cardboard panels with plastic film covering to dress it up. It's certainly environmentally better, but the benefit is to the sales office.
Consider the BMW 320....it's a little 2 litre motor in a fairly large bodied car, designed for 4 occupants. The motor has to be turbo assisted just to get the kind of power needed to lug itself and the passengers in something like comfort and performance, but most importantly economy. The miles / gallon is the holy grail of the auto emissions technology. Smaller engies that deliver performance need to be boosted. Being boosted they generally also rev higher, and have a shorter piston stroke, this ammounts to a reduced life expectancy. Have a look at the general condition of a 5 year old 320...it looks and is crap. The paint on a car weighs in at around 3-4kg or more per coat, if you reduce the coats by 3 or 4 you will appreciate the "greener" fuel consumption results to meet legislation. To get a really great finish on a car, the application of at least 5 coats of clearcoat is required, and that's a huge cost, and extra weight to the car.
Metallic paints are stronger simply because to get the sheen, metal particles are added to the paint. White paint is possibly the best because it has piles of Titanium in it.
Perhaps the ultimate is the new trend for the clearcoated "rust" look which I have been seeing lately. Older cars have their paint stripped to the metal, and it's allowed to rust slightly, then dusted down and clearcoated. The colours are varied and the overall effect is quite interesting...if you like "grunge" this will compliment your style I guess, and you don't have to stress about chips and scratches too much.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

White paint is possibly the best because it has piles of Titanium in it.
Now that is interesting ................................ :)
My next car is gonna be white.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Suzi4D

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Suzi4D »

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting one of these covers and just wanted to know if there had been any further problems regarding scratching etc. I'm located in Australia and keep my little 4 wheeled money pit garaged 99% of the time, I mainly want the cover so I can chuck it on when I'm out and pull up somewhere, to protect the interior from the good old thermonuclear Australian sun. I have a 99 Cosmos black Z3. Any advice you can give me would be gold :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I still use mine, in fact it's on now.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Still use mine, not at the moment.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Guys, I can sell to you some cover to protect your new soft top cover! So you can squeeze a few more years from soft top cover! :D

Come on, get a garage or just install hard top or change your soft top once in every 15 years.

Factory soft top is waterproof anyway so what's the point of another waterproof cover? I only see cons from covers like this:
- possibility to scratch/damage your cars color
- no ventilation
- taking space in the boot if you are taking it everywhere with you
- car looks ugly with this cover - if you don't care then why don't you just buy another car without soft top.
- you have to spend a few minutes each time to put in on and off

If you still think these are not good points then just buy a big tent so you can use it every time as a garage when you need to park somewhere. Building a tent usually don't takes more than 15 minutes, it's waterproof, it will not even allow moisture from the ground to reach your car, you will not damage the paint and your car will not look ugly (because no one will see whats inside).
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

deni2s wrote:
Come on, get a garage or just install hard top or change your soft top once in every 15 years.
I have a two garages that are full with Mustangs :D , hardtop in the shed and I've recently had a new soft top but the easy option is to use the cover whilst the car is sorned just to protect the new hood from bird crap and cat hairs.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Suzi4D

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Suzi4D »

I mainly want a cover to protect the interior when the top in down and I'm out during the summer. as I said she is garaged 99% of the time, she 14yrs and has under 90,000klm on the clock so as you can see she barely moves from the garage :) My concern is how the cover will react with the heat?
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Suzi4D wrote:I mainly want a cover to protect the interior when the top in down and I'm out during the summer. as I said she is garaged 99% of the time, she 14yrs and has under 90,000klm on the clock so as you can see she barely moves from the garage :) My concern is how the cover will react with the heat?
Roadster Solutions in the USA do a interior cover for when the top is down, sounds more like what you want, it's the 3rd one down on this page
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page3.html
Suzi4D

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Suzi4D »

Thanks Geoff :)
That looks spot on, just what I'm after :).... Thanks mate! :wink:
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Does anyone have one of Buzztops Z3 covers they want to sell before I purchase one direct?