Z3 roadster rear window

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Olly2012 »

Just bought our first z3 and it needs a new rear screen in the soft top. Anyone recommend a supplier or is it best to go to BMW? And is it a stitch or zip type? If its zip is it straightforward for a relatively ok-ish DIY-er? Or does it need professional fitting? I've heard various reports either way. Thanks all.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Gareth 161 »

Like you, I recently bought Z3 with cracked window & thought as a reasonable diy person, would have a go and bought one off Ebay
Several hours later & after much stress(together with a bit of silicon sealant) I realised that you get what you pay for!!
My window is waterproof but doe not look very good so will probably do what I should have done in the first place & find a reasonably priced professional fitter to correct my efforts.My only worry is that my attempts will have damaged the zip & I will need a complete roof.
My advice-Dont do it
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've fitted a couple of OEM ones and they are easy to fit if not a little fiddly with an added bonus of you know it will fit.

Yours should have a zip in window if it is OEM but worth checking it has not been replaced before and sewn in ;-)

Fitting Guide with pics
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Olly2012 »

Great thanks. And thanks for the fitting guide link. I may give it a go in the next few weeks - if it ever stops raining!
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Olly2012 »

Just on this a bit further... I have been quoted £186 to supply and fit rear plastic window through a fairly local (to me) firm of car interior fitters although they don't fit BMW windows because they say in their experience an older hood shrinks and they find the BMW ones too big- has anyone come across this before?

Alternatively, I was going to order a BMW one which lists at about £200-£230 incl. and try fitting myself. Anybody know of a better price for an OEM one?
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

I had an OEM rear window fitted to my 14 year old roof last year, and it fits perfectly.

It was professionally fitted though so I can't tell you anything about fitting one.
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I fitted my window to my 13 year old car at the time and it fits fine.
I must admit it is alot easier with two people, one to hold the new window while the other attaches the window via the zip.
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

230 pounds sounds pretty good from a bmw dealer,I just paid $280 plus $50 postage for a genuine one from a guy in the states.A bmw dealer over there wanted $320,Pelican parts wanted $320 plus $180 postage (sent flat I think).Here in Aussie the dealer wants about $700.
The bit about the hood shrinking sounds shonky to me.
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Hi
I had my rear screen replaced 2 months ago cost £200 they had the car for about 4 hours job looks good. Now I wish I'd look into it a bit more and gone for OEM screen, one because they are thicker and appear to fold away better, I have to make sure that there are no kinks when put the roof down or it leave horrible make for hours, never had that with my original screen. Be warned shop around pay a bit more and get a good one done properly.
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

If the rest of the car is in good condition why spoil it by fitting a cheap window. Go for a genuine BMW one. I know a lot people say its easy to fit the window yourself but my experience was an nightmare, the zipper was very tight on the fabric tab on the zip and I ruined it completely after 4 hours of trying. In the end I had to order another one and get the dealer to fit it before I ruined the starter tab on the hood aswell.
Why not contact your dealer and try to get a discount for being a Zroadster member, once you have got over the shock of the price you will be glad you did.
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Olly2012 »

Thanks to all for thoughts and comments. Needless to say It'll be a BMW screen and probably professionally fitted -at least I've some redress then if it isn't water tight.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I know you haven't had much in the way of warm weather, but if you do get any, perhaps lower the roof and leave it in the sun for a bit so the window gets to "know" where the bends are supposed to be...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roadster rear window

Post by Olly2012 »

Thanks for the tip Southernboy
Garethdeb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Garethdeb »

I've seen a company in New Milton advertising on Ebay new rear screens fitted for 150 quid. Ours is quite marked and we were going to treat her to a new screen in a few weeks time. We're in Southampton so I'll let you know how we get on if you want.
Regards
Gareth
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Southernboy wrote:I know you haven't had much in the way of warm weather

No need to rub it in :( But 2 weeks on from your post, you are sadly still correct!
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
4janeg

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by 4janeg »

Hi
Gareth how did you get in with the New Milton chap?
I'm New Forest.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Nice thread resurrection, and good luck with a reply, that was his last ever post, and he hasn't been on here for 4 years...... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
4janeg

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by 4janeg »

Thank you for that. I'll probably go for it. Unless anyone has any recommendations for Hampshire!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

You'll find plenty of more recent threads on rear window replacement - I encourage you to read them and get a variety of experience. I've seen the guy in Hampshire advertising on ebay but I've never seen any comments regarding him on the forum. Only his ebay feedback which despite being 100% is a little mixed.

My view is. Zipped replacement not stitched replacement. New plastic in existing zip not a whole new part with plastic and zip. The reason being the old plastic panel can be used as a template for the new one. Roofs do stretch and take the window/zip with them. So this approach, in my view, gives the best fit and retains the most originality. It's therefore potentially better even than an OEM part.

You'll need to see if you have two rows of stitching or one. It should have one. If it has two it has had a stitched replacement already and you'll probably be restricted to that method in the future.

I'm not sure what method the Hampshire guy uses. But the photo on his auction listing appears to show only 1 row of stitching so I presume a zipped replacement. As he says he can only operate with the car on his premises, ie he doesn't supply mail order I'd guess he might re-use the existing zip.

Mine was done like this by a guy in Coventry. There were some problems with mine and the final bill came out at just over £200. But if it had been straight-forward it would have been £130. My issues were the window had gone hard and shattered causing templating issues and the stitching had gone on the corners - the latter is not unusual.

Note at this time of year there could be a several week waiting list - these are all mostly one man bands and the good ones are very busy. And some use winter/summer pricing - ie more in the summer.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)