Camshaft sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Camshaft sensor

Post by freds dad »

I need to fit a new one to my Zed but does anyone have the item number for it and any other bits I may need. I've got a 2.8 Zed.

Ta
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Camshaft sensor

Post by Southernboy »

Log on to www.realOEM.com
Enter the VIN number of your car and hit "ENTER"
Click on Fuel / Intake find it in the diagram and it's number, and then go to the items listed and under the relative number you will find the part number price etc
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

PS. In the block where it says "serial number" that's where you type in the last 7 digits of your Vin No. It should be two alphabet letters followed by the last 5 number digits.
Barry
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
drillerman47

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by drillerman47 »

Also, Check youtube!!!
There is video of how to fit one.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

If it's the exhaust sensor, then I think it would take longer to boot up a P and get onto You tube than undoing the single bolt, pulling it out, disconnecting in and reversing the process for the new sensor. It's the inlet one that is a bit more involved, but not that bad (I'd already read my codes with INPA so knew it was the exhaust sensor). FWIW it made a nice difference to the way the car went.
Nidjet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Nidjet »

So what are the symptoms of each sensor failing then?
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

quarry motors sell these for £25 new/quality aftermarket part - bumped into them yesterday!
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Not to sure about these cheap sensors.............................we swapped a camshaft sensor last weekend in the ongoing saga of trying to find whats wrong with the Z3 without a communicating diagnogstics port, it was actually harder to start , so put the original back in and all was well again!

Anyone had a similar experiance with cheap replacement parts? I'm all for saving a few pounds these days , but some of these parts seem to be false economy.........
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Nidjet wrote:So what are the symptoms of each sensor failing then?
When the camshaft sensor begins to fail the car is difficult to start after its warmed up and is prone to stalling.

I bought an OEM one from the dealer as I think it's false economy to buy copy parts.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

My 3.0 was just a bit 'flat' below 3,000rpm when I bought it and I didn't know any better...I put it down to me being used to driving a 320d during the week. When I got the INPA software it confirmed an error code for it, which I cleared, then took it for another drive when it came straight back. I bought the dearer of the two options from GSF at £42 IIRC. The car certainly feels more lively lower down and possibly the economy improved but it's hard to tell as I'm just using the extra power. :D

EDIT: I meant to add that I debated buying OEM from the dealer having seen similar comments on here and elsewhere, but GSF confirmed a 1 year warranty for the part and I have checked the car with INPA again recently and no further error codes have appeared. It's not my main car so if there was an issue I could live with taking the sensor out and returning it if need be, but so far so good.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I went through this recently with my 1.9. Had a pending code for the camshaft sensor so took a chance on a cheap replacement on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6781913016

It was a bit of a pain to fit as the diameter was slightly oversize and needed rubbing down with some wet&dry paper to get a proper fit, once in and connected car started right up and no codes were reset after clearing the original pending code.

So far so good for £14.99 + postage.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
drillerman47

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by drillerman47 »

Recently had one go!
Symptoms were: Car cuts out at random, Stuttering when reving aggressively from idle. After restart from cut out, engine runs a bit "lumpy". However, after another restart engine then runs ok. Repeat and rinse!!!!

After camshaft sensor error was diagnosed and replaced "Black Bessie" is running like a dream - all 2.8 litres of her!
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Are we all talking about the inlet or exhaust cam sensor? I only ask as i replacedmy inlet one but the zed still feels a little flat so maybe the exhaust one needs doing as well
drillerman47

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by drillerman47 »

Just to clarify. In my case it was the Camshaft Position Sensor which is situated at the top of the head at the front side.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

That sounds like the exhaust camshaft sensor: Did you have to take lots of parts off to get to it or was it pretty much direct access? If the later then it's the exhaust one like mine was. My car didn't really run badly, just a bit flat. Had it run badly I may have spotted it when I bought the car and got it replaced by the garage. However, I took a (£500) cheaper deal and bought it sold as seen (never did trust those warranties anyway), so figure that £42 for a sensor was the cheaper option....fingers crossed that's all I need for it though the 6 month warranty would nearly be up now anyway if I'd taken it.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

pedro20001 wrote:Are we all talking about the inlet or exhaust cam sensor? I only ask as i replacedmy inlet one but the zed still feels a little flat so maybe the exhaust one needs doing as well
I didn't know there were two. Surely there's just the camshaft position sensor?
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Ahh the penny drops: I have a 3.0 and it has dual vanos so I guess the 2.8 doesn't need a second sensor as I think it only has the single vanos. :oops:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Depending upon what engine you have, there are either one or two sensors. If memory serves all the four-pots have one sensor and most of the sixes have two. There are actually two camshafts in the M44 1.9, but it still only has one sensor.

Edt: Just verified, the M52 single VANOS also only has one sensor. Full details in the KB: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=16317

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc