elec roof not working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

elec roof not working

Post by bigchap39 »

as above.not checked anything yet apart from fuse.is there a common problem i need to look at before i go checking the wiring got power and the switches.is there a relay or anything else.cheers guys
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: elec roof not working

Post by Robert T »

Are you operating it correctly? You need to lift the front portion of the roof by hand, then put your foot on the footbrake brefore pressing the button. I apologise if you already knew this, but quite a few people new to the car do not, so it is always worth mentioning.

If you are operating it correctly, then can you hear the pump running? If yes, then the mechanical "screw" has been operated to disconnect the pump. If not, then you have an electrical problem with the roof microswitch, wiring leading to the microswitch and the up/down switch itself being the most likely culprits.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

ok now know the problem.the roof worked fine before i put in the garage to start restoring as bought it a couple of months back.jacked up the car and is sitting on axle stands.went to put the roof down and it wouldn,t go so turned the screw to allow me to put it down manually.did all this whilst standing beside the car with ignition on only.didnt know about needing to put foot on brake.cheers fella as always good to find out something that isn,t going to cost more money as spent a fair bit already on this wee beast as you may see if you look in gallary.
thanks mate as you just saved me spending a few hrs in the garage tomorrow scratching my head.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No worries. It's always worth checking. :wink:

Cheers R.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

roof all good.cheers robert.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

bigchap39 wrote:roof all good.cheers robert.
I find It's always better to feel like a numpty, than be £500 down..if that is any consolation... :D. we have all done something like that at some time :thumb:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

very true.Being an X mechanic I was nearly all about stripping the motor out and replacing as had checked all the wiring and everything getting power only to ask on here to find out plain and simple put your foot on the brake.priceless.Technology!What happened to good old air,fuel,spark!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

bigchap39 wrote:What happened to good old air,fuel,spark!
I have one of those too. :D

Cheers R.
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Just recently my 2001 3.0litre (25000 kilometers) had the same problem. Brenda took it for a Warrent of fitness (every 6 months here in NZ.) and the next time I went for a drive the roof motor was not working. So I trolled the Zd net for answers, brake light switch, consol switch, roof micro switch or motor.
Finally this weekend I found/made time to look into the annoying problem.
Brake lights working, OK. Fuse, OK. Strip out the boot LH side and checked for power - nothing. Thought it must be the dreaded micro switch in the roof. Took out the micro switch and found it was sealed (no connector) Stripped out the LH side pillar and found the connector block. I thought If I completed the circuit between the two pins, the roof might work. NOOO!!!!. No power at all. So I put the meter on the micro switch and tried it open and shut, all OK.
So it must be the consol switch. Had trouble getting the B#$^&* thing out, so took out the blank plate on the left, then stuck my finger in and pushed the alarm light plate out and finally the hood switch out. It came out without any wires or connector attatched to it. I pushed it back in to the switch and tried the hood motor again (I had already turned the hood oil tap to isolate the motor). Hooray it made the usuall whirring noise. Point is, what made the connector come off? Dont think the WOF man would have any reason to poke around in there. I presume the connector just wasn't pushed in properly (it has two side clips to hold it in place) in the factory. So started to put the mess back together and somehow managed to lose the switch blanking down the hole. Brenda came to the rescue with her nimble fingers but we have lost it in the bowels forever. We did eventually get it all back together. All is good now and the top does as it should. It is a very complicated set up with a lot of (fail safes) built in, not like the pitch-a-tent hood on the Healey 100. However it is worth checking the consol switch before the micro switch if any one has troubles getting it up- (the hood I mean).
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -