Random Alarm activation

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Random Alarm activation

Post by eyezcar »

Hi
Not sure where to start, I have 51 plated 1.9 Z3 which goes through periods of the alarm going off. The alarm may have been set for 2 or 3 hours then it will go off I will then reset it and 15 minutes later it will go off again, I can go out open and shut everything reset the alarm and 15 minutes later it off again, this can happen two or three times and then it can be fine and nothing again for a week some times up to six weeks and then it starts all over again. Any suggestion.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Random Alarm activation

Post by XVar »

Assuming this is with the roof up, I would check the usual suspects when it comes to alarm contacts. These are the bonnet switch (to the right of the catch, above the N/S headlight), the anti-theft switch behind the stereo and the tilt switch in the left boot well. The easiest to diagnose is the bonnet switch, as you can just disconnect it (just disconnect the plug coming out of the switch, the join is right next to it). If the car has or has had a leaky 3rd brakelight then it could well be that the tilt switch is underwater as the boot wells do fill up with water as there's no drainage in them.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I am sure there are a few threads on here concerning this problem, have you searched the knowledge base?
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Jamezee wrote:I am sure there are a few threads on here concerning this problem, have you searched the knowledge base?

Hi
Thanks for the info, yes did try the search and scanned the first couple of pages couldn't see anything to match my problem but was surprised by the number, when I have more time I will look again. Many thanks