Poor Starting and running Z3 2.8

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Poor Starting and running Z3 2.8

Post by Zee3 »

My car has developed an intermittent fault. My car is a 2000 Z3 2.8

If I start it just by turning the key, and then drive off, there is a big loss of power. If I stop and start it by pressing the throttle and revving it as soon as it fires up, it runs OK.

Today, even though I revved it on start up, when I pulled out of the driveway it stalled. When driving the accelleration is very hesitant. It also coughs and farts when trying to start it when hot, and stalls very easily, other times if I start it cold and rev the engine as soon as it fires up it runs like a dream. Could this be the cam sensor?

Also, at times if I run it once it starts and runs OK, and then I stop and then start it hot, the poor running condition returns. I'm going to get my friend to run his diagnostics on it rather than chase my tail replacing sensors by chance. I did phone a BMW dealer, but they wanted £90 just for the diagnostics, which is ludicrous
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Poor Starting and running Z3 2.8

Post by Zee3 »

Run the diagnostics, it's the inlet sensor.

Going to get one from BMW
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

FWIW I got mine from GSF (paid for the dearer of the two options) and it's been fine. £42 IIRC and no more error codes from it since (FYI mine is a 3.0 so may be a different part).

Just posted in case BMW don't have one in stock and/or you want to save a few £s.
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Thanks. i ordered the OEM one. It came to £93 inc the O ring

I did see cheaper ones though euro carparts, but thought I'd pay an extra few quid to cure it once and for all.