odometer dashboard light not working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
cdevey

Z3 roadster 2.0

odometer dashboard light not working

Post by cdevey »

My odometer/mileometer is still working ok but the backlight behind the LCD display is no longer working which means the mileage is hard to read.. I guess its probably fused but I'm not sure how to get to it easily to check. does anyone know how? By the way, this is not the main dashboard light which is regulated by the headlamp knob.
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: odometer dashboard light not working

Post by c_w »

I'm pretty sure there are some small dash bulbs behind this in the cluster, much like the warning lights bulbs etc. You need to remove the cluster which is pretty easy; there are two torx screws at the top and that's all that hold it in. Remove these and use a sucker/plunger on the face to pull it out of the dash. It's tight around the steering wheel but can be done without taking the wheel off.

There are 4 plugs in the back of the unit using the quick release lever type connectors. Undo these when it's half out and then remove the whole cluster, then you can see the bulbs etc in the back.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There is a good thread on this, with pictures of the instrument cluster bulbs, which if it isn't already in the knowledgebase, should be. I'd look now, but I'm on my phone in a Lake District coffee shop!

Cheers R.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Robert T wrote:There is a good thread on this, with pictures of the instrument cluster bulbs, which if it isn't already in the knowledgebase, should be. I'd look now, but I'm on my phone in a Lake District coffee shop!

Cheers R.

Here it is http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=33125
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Thanks G. That's one part of it. There is another with some good photos of the rear of the instrument panel circuit board.

Cheers R.

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The second picture down in the post below shows a really good shot of the rear of the cluster (thanks to Pingu :D ), the two tan coloured bulb holders just to the right of centre are the bulbs for the display in question.

Rear picture of cluster

HTH
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi, I have the same problem. Can anyone tell me how many lights thers is in total and where I can get some for a good price?

Thanks.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I just replaced mine about a week ago. There is one bulb for the mileage display and one for the service lights. I got replacements from my local BMW dealer for a couple of pounds. Slightly fiddly to get the cluster out, but bulbs are easy enough to change. I used two rubber suckers after removing the screws. Only slight problem was my service indicator didn't like being disconnected and I had to reset it using my laptop, so in hindsight I'd disconnect the battery first.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Thanks robert.
Do you know how many lights there is in total? and how many types? I'd like to change all of them... so I don't have to remove the cluster once again in a few weeks time!

Thanks.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

I just found this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Clear-50 ... 3cbd5a2858

They seems to be the right ones! But are all the lights white?? or there is some orange?

And I can't found the reference for the bigger ones!
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

OK, so according to real eom we have:
12V 1.2W x 14
12V 1.3W x 2
12V W3W x 3

And the one for the mileage and service are the 12V 1.3W. I think I'll order some on line, on somewhere I can return them easily if I'm wrong!

So last question... are they all white???
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Pierrick wrote:I just found this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Clear-50 ... 3cbd5a2858

They seems to be the right ones! But are all the lights white?? or there is some orange?

And I can't found the reference for the bigger ones!
No the bulbs are both physically smaller and smaller wattage than that - they look like the gauge backlights. I am not sure whether the odometer and telltales are a BMW only fitment or not. They have a little holder attached that seems to be part of the bulb.

Instrument cluster - BMW parts catalog

#2 - telltales (up to 14 of these fitted)
#3 - odometer and service indicator backlights (total of 2 fitted)
#4 - gauge backlights (3 fitted)

All the bulbs are white. The colours come from different coloured films in front of them.

Cheers R.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Oh ok! So you can't change the bulbs... you have to change the holder as well?? seems strange! I think I'll take the cluster out and have a proper look!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

They are too small to have a separate holder. Here is the one I removed.

It says Osram on the back.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've bought dashboard bulbs here before:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R509TM ... Black.html

That link is to the warning light bulbs, but if you know the size and wattage you need you'll probably find the others on that website too.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Robert T wrote:They are too small to have a separate holder. Here is the one I removed.

It says Osram on the back.

I've just replaced this bulb, £4.98 from my nearest main dealer!
As I found being unable to read the odometer a bit of a pain I temporarily replaced the bulb with the adjacent service light bulb until I got chance to buy a new one.
For anyone with decent eyesight you can live without the service light bulb as the lights are still easily visible without their own bulb, though dimmer of course.
Not too difficult to get at, just a bit fiddly.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

I'll take the cluster off tomorrow and investigate a bit more! I still persuaded you can change only the bulb!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

theres a load on ebay, only prob there in the states with pricey shipping, but if enough folk want them then it would be ok, judging by the pics on ebay it does appear to separate from the holder.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

They look like a stock photos (in fact the same stock photo for the two different parts!). Both of those are from bmw_direct and the part numbers are the same as I ordered - BMW do NOT supply the bulbs without the attached holder. The prices are very similar to what I paid, but I did not have to pay postage and packing as I went to the dealer's parts desk.

The bulbs are made by Osram, so it is possible that they are sold cheaper elsewhere, but as the bulb appears to be glued into the holder, I don't see you being able to buy (or fit) a bulb without a holder.

Cheers R.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

im am going to need a couple of these, so bmw parts desk appears to be the place to go. I have been burned a few times buying ebay cheapies :roll: brought loads that was ok though too :) wonder how easy it would be to swap them for led, fixed for ever
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Robert T wrote:
They look like a stock photos (in fact the same stock photo for the two different parts!). Both of those are from bmw_direct and the part numbers are the same as I ordered - BMW do NOT supply the bulbs without the attached holder. The prices are very similar to what I paid, but I did not have to pay postage and packing as I went to the dealer's parts desk.

The bulbs are made by Osram, so it is possible that they are sold cheaper elsewhere, but as the bulb appears to be glued into the holder, I don't see you being able to buy (or fit) a bulb without a holder.

Cheers R.
I've just taken the old dud bulb out of the holder and there's absolutely no chance of replacing bulb only.
I also thought the bulb must be glued in but it came out after wrapping with tape and pulling very hard.
The wires had broken cleanly off at the edge of the glass where they hooked back on themselves in a U shape over the terminals inside the holder and no way to get at the terminals without breaking the holder.
Sorry folks but it seems like a fiver a time.
Dave.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

DC wrote: I've just taken the old dud bulb out of the holder and there's absolutely no chance of replacing bulb only.
I also thought the bulb must be glued in but it came out after wrapping with tape and pulling very hard.
The wires had broken cleanly off at the edge of the glass where they hooked back on themselves in a U shape over the terminals inside the holder and no way to get at the terminals without breaking the holder.
Dave.
Does the holder have any other markings on? Are they not these?:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R509TM ... Beige.html
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
DC wrote: I've just taken the old dud bulb out of the holder and there's absolutely no chance of replacing bulb only.
Dave.
Does the holder have any other markings on? Are they not these?:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R509TM ... Beige.html
They do look very similar and well spotted, My old one is broken and in the bin now but I think the only marking was Osram.
Who's going to be brave enough to try one though as when you include delivery there's not much of a saving.
Worth a punt if you are ordering other stuff as well.
Dave.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

DC wrote: They do look very similar and well spotted, My old one is broken and in the bin now but I think the only marking was Osram.
Who's going to be brave enough to try one though as when you include delivery there's not much of a saving.
I've already used this website to buy the bulbs for dash warning lights - as long as they're the correct wattage and dimensions they'll be fine.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

BladeRunner919 wrote:as long as they're the correct wattage and dimensions they'll be fine.
Isn't that the definition of "fitting"? :lol:

Those do indeed look like the bulbs on the autobulbs link - there are two different wattages for the telltales and odometer backlights, but otherwise the two packages look very similar apart from the colour of the holder.

A fiver might seem a lot, but the thing lasted 14 years! As said, watch the postage costs, as they can soon make things more expensive than visiting the dealer.

Cheers R.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Dave.
Interessting... did you try with all the différents fittings? there is 3 types.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Pierrick wrote:Interessting... did you try with all the différents fittings? there is 3 types.
Is something getting lost in translation here? Yes, there are three types of bulb, two are the kind with integrated holders and the third is much larger and has a separate holder. The odometer and service lights both use the same smaller bulb with integrated holder. The telltales all use the other smaller bulb. I haven't tried pulling them apart, but the construction of both small bulbs looks to be identical - so the holder will be permanently soldered to the bulb. The telltales are about half the price of the odometer ones.

Cheers R.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Pierrick wrote:
Dave.
Interessting... did you try with all the différents fittings? there is 3 types.
Sorry Pierrick, I only tried the beige odometer bulb and holder as I didn't need to replace the others so didn't have a blown one to sacrifice.
I wouldn't worry about changing all the bulbs at once, truthfully it only took me about ten minutes to get the panel out, change the bulb and put it back.

Dave.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

So! I took my cluster off tonight.
You can change the bigger bulbs hold by the green holders!
But you can't on the beige and black ones. It is possible to take the bulb off, but the steels parts come with it and I don't think it is possible to buy just this part!

I'll post some photos...
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Pierrick wrote:So! I took my cluster off tonight.
You can change the bigger bulbs hold by the green holders!
But you can't on the beige and black ones. It is possible to take the bulb off, but the steels parts come with it and I don't think it is possible to buy just this part!

I'll post some photos...

Correct - there are three types. A 1.2W and 1.5W with a fixed holder and a W3W that can be replaced without changing the holder.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hey! Me again! I have some good news! I found a led "bulb" which fit perfectly the green holder (for the main lights - fuel, speed, engine speed and engine temperature).

As you can see here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the photo we can see the green holder with the new LED bulb and the old W3W bulb next to it. Then we have a beige with the (broken) bulb which came from it. And a black holder with the bulb still in it.
As we can see it is possible to remove the bulbs from the holders (without breaking it... I did it with the black holder) but the bulb come with all the steal parts... so impossible to change only the bulb.

And in the package we can see two LED bulbs I bought today. I bought them from Accuspark at the Beaulieu Spring autojumble for 5£ (2 pack of 2, so 1.25 each!!!).

Here is their web site:
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/accuspark.html

I can't see the bulbs on their web site but if you give them a ring you should be able to get some!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'd be interested to see what the LED backlights look like when fitted. The existing bulbs produce a soft warm glow, which I characterise with what a BMW should feel like to drive - no harsh lighting effects and a pleasant place to be for many hours at a time.

The odometer backlight is the first bulb in the instrument cluster that has been replaced on my car in 14 years! It is also the only bulb that is actually on all the time that the car is running. I am not sure that LEDs will offer much better longevity for what they cost. And contrary to belief, LEDs do burn out eventually.

Cheers R.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

I don't know how long the LED will last but it cost the same price as a normal bulb, so worth to try!

I'll post more photos later to show how it looks once installed!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

are these a good bet, I need a couple, anyone else need any? :idea:
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

So... I try the LED and I wouldn't recomment it! I had an LED behind the fuel gage and a normal light behind the temperature. The LED one was "darker" than the normal one and I feel like the light was not "reflecting" as well on to the back ground and in the needle... I hope you understand!

I think if you have only LEDs you wouldn't notice much of a difference and if you put the light to full (by turning the head light switch) you will be ok but I will personally stick with the normal bulbs...

The only good thing with the LED is they probably last longer...
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

sorry these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330928690138? ... 1423.l2649
im sure I posted the link
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

ok I solved my bulb issue-simply brought another set of dials on fleebay £20 posted. it has 18 black backed bulbs 1.2w and 2 brown/cream backed 1.3w and 3 green backed 1.5w. I need one of the brown ones and maybe a couple of black ones so the rest are gona be up for sale, tested as good. :) and I have a spare cluster to mess about with, but this one is slightly different, it has a mpg gauge while mine doesn't, wonder if the connections are there on mine :?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:but this one is slightly different, it has a mpg gauge while mine doesn't, wonder if the connections are there on mine :?
It'll be an E36 dash rather than a Z3, I'd guess. Sounds like a cheap way to get a load of bulbs, though!