New purchase Z3 2.0 Facelift

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
scratchbash

Z3 roadster 2.0

New purchase Z3 2.0 Facelift

Post by scratchbash »

Hi All,
Just became a new member of the 'ZED' club by purchasing a '99 2.0 Z3 facelift. I used to drive around in clunky diesels and such.

Its my daily runner putting in 100 miles a day five days a week with an already steady 132k on the clock but it feels and sounds as if it is new. If truth were told I bought it because I just had to have that noise behind me.
Its a bit more thirsty than I'm used to but it makes me smile for the whole journey.

There's the odd bonk and clonk going on but reading some of the posts on this site they should not pose too much of a problem when winter comes and I can get down to these jobs.

Its in reasonable nick with the odd scratch and ding here and there but it is absolutely standard with all the kit and gear that came with it when it was sold.

Would love to have posted some pics but the site seems to have reached its limit!!

Would love to hear from others who have a 2.0 or any one else who cares to open the message and communicate.

Trevor
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New purchase Z3 2.0 Facelift

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Welcome aboard! I've only had the Zed since Feb, but it's certainly been fun despite the rather awful weather until ten days ago!
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

scratchbash wrote: Its in reasonable nick with the odd scratch and ding here and there but it is absolutely standard with all the kit and gear that came with it when it was sold.

Would love to have posted some pics but the site seems to have reached its limit!!

Would love to hear from others who have a 2.0 or any one else who cares to open the message and communicate.

Trevor
I have a 1.9, but I'm told power-wise, it's exactly the same as the 2.0 minus the sound of a straight-6. Upload your pictures to a website like photobucket.com and paste the img links here, that's what I do!

And regarding the Z3 being standard - Keep it that way! In my opinion, far too many people change style/looks the Z3 and in my opinion, de-value the car. Keeping a Z3 which in my case, is a 1997 model, in pristine condition only adds to the value. I've driven many miles since I've owned my Z and I've yet to see any as old as mine, in as good condition.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine
I agree, keep it standard - there are some vehicles - the Z3 is one, that look just right as they are. Once everything works properly, spend the money on fuel :)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I would like to be associated with the remarks of the previous speaker.

Bonzo.

ps Angel Eye lights, Alpina wheels and white indicator lights already on Zelda when we started our affair! :)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
scratchbash

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by scratchbash »

Thanks Guys for all your comments,

Will be keeping the 3 standard, if only because its easier to know what has gone wrong and with advice from people on this site it should be easier (and less expensive) to fix!!

Trevor
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

LookinFoolish wrote: Upload your pictures to a website like photobucket.com and paste the img links here, that's what I do!
That's the way to do it :wink:

Welcome to the Forum.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
brent50

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by brent50 »

I had the 1.9 and now have the 2.0 facelift now i might have had a dodgy 1.9 but i dont think so, i find the 2.0 is considerably quicker by far, one thing i will say is that the 1.9 had a little more punch on the motorway at high speed the 2.0 takes a little longer to get there but it does get there not noticed to much difference in fuel consumption too good luck and welcome
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

@brent50 - which 1.9 - the pre-facelift was a 16-valve engine developing 140 bhp, whereas the post-facelift 1.9 (badged as 1.8) is an 8-value developing 118 bhp. The 2.0 develops 150 bhp, but is heavier than the 1.9, so has remarkably similar power to weight. You need to rev the 16-valve engine to get the most out of it, whereas the 6-cyclinder 2.0 should be smoother and lazier.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
brent50

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by brent50 »

Hi mine was the 16 valve 140 bhp, but id be more than happy to bet on a drag race against a 1.9 having had both for more than a year !
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Hi Scratchbash
I only joined the site a couple of weeks ago after buying my 2.0litre z3 year 2000. I have always wanted one and only recently found myself in a position to buy one. Love the sound of the 6 cylinder. Mine needs a few jobs doing to bring it up to spec and is off the road at the moment as I am refurbing the wheels. There is a lot of experience on the site and I have already had several tips when doing the odd job. I have not got round to posting pics yet but will do once I have finished the wheels and shined her up.
scratchbash

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by scratchbash »

Thanks all for your kind comments and generous welcome. Still enyoying the Z3 and all the really great weather we have been having. I have forced soo many people into open top motoring, they all avoid me now.

I agree with the performance quotes though. Dont expect too much from a standing start but watch out for the mid to top end, just great for 'slip road sprinting'.

I can feel a few jobettes coming on with mine. the rears are a little out of balance at 80+ and the rear offside brake squeals under light braking. Neither should be too onerous but both will stop the extended driving that I have become accustomed to.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

I have had a 2000 2.0 for 8 years now, saldy goes at the end of the month. I hope you enjoy yours like i did mine. I ended up playing with suspension mostly but each to their own.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
scratchbash

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by scratchbash »

Hi all,

Managed to get the Zed out of the country a couple of weeks ago and give it a taste of those luverly French roads.

Could have done without the brake squeal and clonk from the front all the way down and back but there you go.

Zed performed faultlessly all the way otherwise for the 1000+ miles and gave us an opportunity to have the roof down for 6 whole days in the sun. We are burnt. ( I can forgive it the impromptu "cruise control" from the non standard floor carpet)

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... e61d1a.jpg

Mangaged to get to the brakes this weekend and solve some of the poor braking registers on the discs. Found a loose calliper bolt which gave us the clonk and "copperslipped all the bearing faces (not the grippy bits) to make sure that all the bits move as they should. It is much quieter now and I can see the the discs are being fully utilised.

Put some new rears on before the trip which solved the vibration. The previous set had been on for about 50k miles so mustn't grumble really I suppose. Noticed that the inner shoulder wear was a bit heavy, is this normal?

Now I must decide if I push the Zed through a winter or find out what damage is done to the 306 with a snapped cam belt.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a very similar car to my moms which she has owned for 10 years and loves it! hope you have lots of fun and get the roof down whenever possible!!!
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Robert T wrote:You need to rev the 16-valve engine to get the most out of it, whereas the 6-cyclinder 2.0 should be smoother and lazier.
What Robert failed to mention is that the 6 cyl engines absolutely come alive after 4000 RPM :twisted:

..this is why my MPG is sitting at around 19 since the Z3 got promoted to weekend only.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread