Z3 Front wishbone bushes!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
loveland

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 Front wishbone bushes!

Post by loveland »

Hi guys,

new to the forum, but had our z3 for approx 5 years, its a hellrot red 2.8 and we love it!

Been nosey-ing on the forum as recently the steering feel seems to have become "lost", which points to the Front wishbone bushes.

I know there are 2 types for the Z3/Z3M so just wanted to double check that these are the right one before I order them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-94-02- ... 19d05791b7

Thankyou!
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 Front wishbone bushes!

Post by msassoon »

Look like the ones I put on, so yes, they are correct. It is the uncentred ones that are for the Z3M as far as I know.
Cheers

Marc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I did mine recently and discovered that the wishbone balljoints were not all that great either. Might be worth checking those too in advance so that if they need replacing you only end up dismantling everything once instead of twice, as I did!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Get some genuine Z3M bushes from a dealer, they are cheaper than those poly bushes and better IMO. Z3M bushes are centred just like the non-M but they are stiffer but a factory stiffness that is not harsh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

c_w wrote:Get some genuine Z3M bushes from a dealer, they are cheaper than those poly bushes and better IMO. Z3M bushes are centred just like the non-M but they are stiffer but a factory stiffness that is not harsh.
But they are much harder to install.
loveland

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by loveland »

thanks for the help guys!

regarding the z3m bushes i completely understand where youre coming from, but in my experience of polybushes I don't find them too harsh (not yet anyway haha) plus i'd rather not replace them again for a long time (I prefer to fit and forget).

Ordered the Powerflex units :)

Thanks guys!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I put them on mine and I'm very happy with them: Easy to fit, tightened the front end up and hasn't made it harsh either. Welcome to the Z3 club. :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

One other thing - get the tracking checked afterwards. Even if it was done recently, with wibbly-wobbly bushes it could still be well out. And don't get sucked in to paying for a 4 wheel alignment (in my opinion) - the rears aren't adjustable, so no point.

After I did my bushes and, ultimately, wishbones, I found a local Just Tyres place that does tracking for just under 30 quid. Took the car down and they said it was a little out but they couldn't get the adjusters to turn. I took it home and freed them up with the help of a blowtorch and a lot of effort (and having an inspection pit was a huge help!). Because the Just Tyres is about a mile from home, I didn't bother making sure I didn't upset the tracking even more, just freed it up and drove it down there. When they rechecked it I'd managed to fluke getting it right! They didn't even charge me!I did give the bloke a tenner 'tip'.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
c_w wrote:Get some genuine Z3M bushes from a dealer, they are cheaper than those poly bushes and better IMO. Z3M bushes are centred just like the non-M but they are stiffer but a factory stiffness that is not harsh.
But they are much harder to install.
There's not much difference though? The hardest bit IMO is removing the existing bush off the wishbone, then you have to cut the old bush out which you still have to do with the Powerflex bush. The only extra bit is pushing the new bush in the lollypop which is easy in a vice, then with a bit of washing up liquid sliding it on the wishbone.

The Z3M bushes are pretty tough and will last a long time. My experience of polybushes is not that great and find they wear the centre out leaving the metal sleeve loose in the bush.