Keeping the Zed - help needed though

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Eastsix

Not specified

Keeping the Zed - help needed though

Post by Eastsix »

Well, absolutley no-one wants my 65000 mile 2.8 Z3, not even a cheeky lowball offer. So Ive come up with a cunning plan - I keep it as my toy and i buy the wife a classic Beetle to satisfy the need for 4 seats while bypassing the no claims bonus problem. Clever eh? I get 2 toys to play with too!

So my attention turns to a few things that i want to do with my Zed. First up is the luggage rack. Ive read a few threads on the subject, identifying that there are plastic plugs that can be bought cheap. Someone has suggested there is also a metal option. Well, I found this diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&hl=11

The part number suggested in an old thread relates to part 5 in this diagram. So my question is what exactly is part 7? Apparently it comes in stainless steel or black plastic. But if it comes in plastic, how does it relate to part 5? is it a cap that goes on top of part 5 - the blind plug? or is it an alternative plugging solution? it doesnt seem to be the same thing as a blind plug, as it doesnt look the same, and part 7 comes in both plastic and steel, so I assume its something different. If its just a cap that goes on top of the blind plug, it seems odd that the prices for the plastic ones dont seem much less than the stainless steel but I found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170880833266? ... 1423.l2649

and a message to the seller reveals that the part is plastic, and a set of 4.

Can anyone help me decipher?
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Keeping the Zed - help needed though

Post by Robert T »

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Yeah, ive seen that thanks - I was looking for specific part numbers, but what im trying to establish is whether part 7 in Stainless steel is the complete piece I need to fill the holes when I remove my rack
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

From reading the thread that I linked to, the blanking studs go through the boot lid and the nuts that normally go on the bottom of the rack go on the studs to hold them in place. #5 is a very cheap plastic plug that I think is referred to in the thread for putting in the hole when you wash the car with the rack off. Both #7s should be metal as you need to screw the #3 nuts onto them. They both appear to weigh the same (70g), so I am guessing that they are just a different finish - i.e. for people who don't want lots of chrome.

A few people on here have the racks, so I am sure someone else will confirm.

Cheers R.
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Hi,

I have part number 7 fitted to my car, there are two colour options, one is chrome, the other is black chrome which is what the ebay seller is selling. I have never seen the chrome ones for sale. I have also never seen the plastic ones either.

Let me know if you want a close up pic of the chrome ones, I am away this weekend but can take some on monday.
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

I have part number 7 fitted to my car, there are two colour options, one is chrome, the other is black chrome which is what the ebay seller is selling. I have never seen the chrome ones for sale. I have also never seen the plastic ones either.

Let me know if you want a close up pic of the chrome ones, I am away this weekend but can take some on monday.

Bmw are telling me through ebay that the parts they are selling are plastic though? Id be very grateful of the silver ones you have when you get a chance.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It is not unknown for BMW to bag up parts and put the wrong part number on them. I am currently waiting for a pair of hardtop grub screws, which when they arrived looked for all the world like a pair of circlips. :lol:

Cheers R.
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Now I have actually read the thread, to tell you what you actually wanted to know!

Yes number 7 is all you need on top of what you should already have, number 4 will already be assembled on your car, number 7 goes through the hole as your rack does and attaches to number 3 as your rack does.

I am not sure whether the rack can be held to the inside of the boot lid by the plastic covered section of number 3, if yours still have the covers.

This is the best photo I can find (includes saharan sand) or look here, very good close up picture http://www.mgfcar.de/carrier/DCP_4388.jpg

Hope this helps.
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Thats great, thanks a lot!
Blimey, thats expensive for what are, essentially,4 bolts.
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Yep, very shiny, very expensive and very hard to find in silver, but still only bolts! Good luck!

Maybe they will turn into one of those add ons everyone wants but most just can't justify spending the money on if they could even find them, like AC Schnitzer roll bars, I'll swap you my bolts for a set of Schnitzer roll bars if you have got some!!!!!!!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

A bloke on the Dutch forum used these Step Bolts with a rubber O ring.

HTH

http://www.mesafastener.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=69
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Ha! You read my mind....
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

The next question in my mind is about wheels. Ive read a lot of threads on here about sizes and offsets and spacers, but i only have limited understanding. Could anyone clarify for my what to look for if i want to bring wheels out to the arches? I have the widebody 2.8, so if i went for 18 inch rims, and 8.5 width( maybe?) am i right in thinking i need a really low offset for the rear? Something like et 11 or 12? My reading is that fronts dont matter so much, but with higher offset rears, can you just use spacers to bring them out?
Problem is buying a set with such different offsets pretty much means buying new, and i'd be looking for an ebay type deal. Nice Type 3's on ebay at the mo, but et 43 doesnt seem viable does it?
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Heath »

43 offset will be fine but to bring the rears out you would need a 20mm spacer. If you do go for spacers make sure you buy the hubcentric ones, they are more expensive but they are perfectly safe as they have the correct size centre for your wheel to fit onto.
I have 8j x 18 wheels all round, offset 40 & 20mm spacers on the rear & they all sit just right

Heath on Tapatalk
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Cheers Heath- is it different having a widebody though?
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Heath »

Mines a facelift & all the facelifts are widebody so the wheel fitment will be the same

Heath on Tapatalk