Can anyone identify this part?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Can anyone identify this part?

Post by LookinFoolish »

Found this underneath my car. Seems like a plastic screw and a rubber cap. Anyone recognize it? Is it important?

Thanks
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Can anyone identify this part?

Post by Southernboy »

How long was yor car parked before you noticed it?? I found a similar item and didn't know where it came from....I ended up using it inside the door to act as a stop buffer for my driver's side window...It used to dissappear into the door on the down stroke...now it stops exactly flush with the top of the rubber seals...I figured that maybe it was always meant to be there, and it had come out with the window mechanism and window slide when I took all that out to clean and service the bushes etc... If you've had your window guide out recently on either side, it may be from in the door...Do any of your windows drop too low when you have them fully opened??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Car was probably parked there for a few days without moving it. There isn't any problems with the window dropping and I've not had the window guide/interior panels off recently, so I don't know what has caused it. I have a feeling it might have came from underneath the car?

I'll look at the door more closely today and try figure out where it has came from. I think it was from the passenger side.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The item in the pic looks about as grubby etc as the one I found...might be some sort of suspension Bump-stopper from under the car, possibly rear suspension area?? I've had a look on Real OEM and can't find anything like it in the diagrams...I found my one about 3 months ago, and since then nothing unusual in terms of rattles, bumps etc, so I'm as mystified as you on this...
"Normal is overrated"

LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

I agree, that was my first thoughts. It seems like some 'bump-stopper' kind of thing. The problem is, i didn't see it until i moved the car, So i cannot be sure of where it fell off from. If i knew exactly where it came from, I'd probably have a better clue where to look. All i know is that it came from the passenger side.

I hope we can find out what it is. For now, it's a mystery! :!:
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Look under your bonnet
it look like a bonnet stop
There should be one either side
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Boysie wrote:Look under your bonnet
Thanks Boysie! You are correct:

Passenger side:

Only trouble now is getting some special glue to get the thing back on. It looks as if the top part of the screw is still lodged in the gap.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

It's one of 4 bonnet supports that hold each corner of the bonnet in place.It looks as though the stud has snapped off the bonnet.I removed one of my supports ( N/S/Rear) as it was clattering when riding a rough road. It only took me 2 months to finally track down where this noise was coming from.Even BMW couldn't find the source.Have to admit that her indoors heard it and pointed out the offender!!!
Hope this helps
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

thanks Rambo. I'll check to make sure I've got 4. I only spotted the two (and one had fell off!).
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

LookinFoolish wrote:
Boysie wrote:Look under your bonnet
Thanks Boysie! You are correct:

Passenger side:

Only trouble now is getting some special glue to get the thing back on. It looks as if the top part of the screw is still lodged in the gap.
You have make sure the bit left does not rust in the bonnett

Sent from Boysie via tapatalk
Ray

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I might suggest you treat the bonnet / fitting point with a rust treatment to prevent further damage...The stop buffer would probably be best glued with superglue..I find it attaches to rubber better than any other glue, and if the area on the bonnet is clean and "smooth" the superglue will hold. Only other option is a autobody repair shop..they will remove the "remains" and can replace with a new bolt. It will mean having your bonnet re-painted though..which you may actually be happy with doing anyway..??
"Normal is overrated"

LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

I'll take a closer inspection and decide what action to take. It's a real pain in the butt that it's broken off, but it latest 15 years so cannot grumble too much :D

Thanks again guys - I hope this thread will help someone else, I didn't even think of looking under the bonnet when I saw that part :shock:
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've just been out to check my under bonnet...they're both off :shock: But I did have a close look at the bonnet where they were fixed, and it seems that there is a possibility of using a "headless" bolt, and being able to screw it into the bonnet a few turns before it would touch on the outer skin. If this is possible, then it would mean using a decent epoxy glue when screwing it in so that it locks in there, and then perhaps a 2mm thick nut to lock it so that it cannot go any further in - just as a precaution - and finally screw the rubber stopper on again.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Just ordered 2 new ones from BMW....Part# 51718407377...
"Normal is overrated"

rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Be carefull with what you have been advised as the rubber bushes are adjustable to take up any shake of the bonnet.We love our Z mzchines but they are not built to Rolls Royce standards and they are there for a reason
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Rambo....that's why they need to be fitted back on again!!
"Normal is overrated"

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Of intereset when this happened to me many many moons ago
Hence how I knew what it was
The dealers contacted BMW and they advised, put a new bonnet on
Under warranty :)
I believe concerned about the rust issue
Ray

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Southernboy sent me this info about this problem........ its his fix :D

It concerns the 2 rubber "bungs" on left/right of the underside of the bonnet in the hinge area. These are usually fitted to the bonnet, and as I have noticed on the forum, others have had them break off, with consequence that the bonnet flexes at the corners when driving. I reversed the fixing points of these because having new studs welded to the bonnet would result in the paintwork being burnt by the heat, and having to re-paint the entire bonnet.
I drilled holes in the body where the "tell" marks were of the original touch points, used a tap and threaded the holes to accept the studs. Cut one nut in half with a Dremmel to create 2 thin locking nuts. Screwed the stud into the threaded holes until they touched the inner panel of the body, measured and cut the protruding stud to the correct length, put some epxy on the stud end and screwed it back in so that the epxy would bond to the inner panel, then used the thin lock nuts with some epoxy and locked the studs. The rubber bungs then screw on and can be adjusted so that they just touch the underside of the bonnet, and provide the support as they should. A bit of rubber grease on the rubber tit will prevent the rubber "grabbing" when the bonnet comes into contact when the bonnet is closed. I reckon that "grabbing" effect is what breaks them off in the first place.

As you will see, the rubber bung has a raised ridge underneath, which will accommodate the thin lock nut, and even with the nut in position, the ridge still "seals off the nut by compressing against the body...keeps the damp out.