New Clutch install went wrong

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Clutch install went wrong

Post by Keynun »

Hi Z'ers!

I've had my new clutch fitted by my mechanic today, and things have gone badly wrong! The clutch was grinding (he mentioned that the release bearing could be making the noise?) so he removed the gearbox again and took a look. I've had a brief conversation with him this evening about it.

He mentioned that the pressure plate was not coming out far enough? Something along those lines. The clutch kit was from ECP and is an LUK, and the flywheel was from ebay and is also an LUK.

Here are the parts:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... cbf&000069
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-8-Du ... 111wt_1395

Does anyone know why this would happen?
I'm going down there tomorrow to check on what the next step is, but this is looking extremely costly for a common clutch change.

My car is a Z3 2.8 1997 manual.
Last edited by Keynun on Wed 05 Sep, 2012 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: New Clutch install went wrong

Post by Deano1712 »

Maybe SAC springs are engaged. Check if springs are compressed - if not reset the springs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

Any chance you could provide a little more detail? I know its a self adjusting mechanism, and the clip is now removed since the clutch is on there, but how would I go about explaining/resetting the springs?

I'm just worried that I have bought the wrong clutch kit, as it did not look identical to the old one.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The SAC springs run circumferentially around the front of the pressure plate. When first fitted the springs should be compressed. Are they compressed or extended? If the latter you need to find a way to apply pressure to the plate and then rotate the adjust mechanism and compress the springs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

Just a quick update:

The springs looked compressed. The gearbox was removed, the bearing seems to be knackered somehow. Apparently the bearing was not touching the pressure plate either.

I've forked out for another clutch kit, but I do honestly think the mechanic is bullshitting me. I've done a clutch myself on a quattro audi A3!! I did not think a RWD would cause more headache than a 4wd clutch.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? An LUK clutch should definitely not go wrong brand new.

Here's a picture of the install:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Question is...did he center the new components? Perhaps the failure was a result of the fitment not being centered and hence has caused the new bearing to be destroyed.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

I believe the adjustment tool was used to do so? Although I'm going by what I've been told.

I don't even know what to do with this clutch now, is it even worth trying to get a refund. I bought it from euro car parts online afterall.
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Keynun wrote:Just a quick update:

The springs looked compressed. The gearbox was removed, the bearing seems to be knackered somehow. Apparently the bearing was not touching the pressure plate either.

I've forked out for another clutch kit, but I do honestly think the mechanic is bullshitting me. I've done a clutch myself on a quattro audi A3!! I did not think a RWD would cause more headache than a 4wd clutch.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? An LUK clutch should definitely not go wrong brand new.

Here's a picture of the install:
That bearing certainly looks chewed up, my guess is an alignment tool wasn't used
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's what led to my query...It certainly looks as though the fitment hasn't been done correctly. Perhaps a consideration might be to take the picture evidence to an "independent" mechanic for interpretation?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

My dad (a mechanic) and I have had my box in and out 5 times and used an adjustment tool to ensure it was in the right place before fitting the. If it is not lined up correctly, then the box doesn't fit properly as the clutch moves as you try to line it up. They would have hammered it on believing it to be stiff and knackered it I would guess. Maybe a new mechanic? If you are near London, my dad hates them, but would do it.
Cheers

Marc
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

It's all sorted now. Had to buy a new clutch (I believe it was of a different type? e.g. no self adjusting crap on there.). Could it be that early Z3's are not compatible with the LUK Repset clutches?

I am fairly pissed off about it all though, going to go back to euro car parts to find out why the hell they gave me this clutch in the first place.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the assistance! Much appreciated.