WILL THIS FIT????? AHHHH!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: WILL THIS FIT????? AHHHH!!!

Post by dallantan »

For me, its a case of wanting a deeper dish and therefore needing wider wheels.

In order to go as low as I wanted, and to fit the wheel in, I had to stretch the tyres.

[DT_Photography] 07712 415 619.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Seriously?! Do they not allow any form of modification? We're considering moving over to France, but if that's the case I think I'll reconsider.

Mike Fishwick wrote:In France we don't see stretched tyres, as we have the tyre and wheel sizes listed in the registration document, which must be carried at all times - if the gendarmes see a car with different sizes from those listed, the car is towed away and impounded until it has been reverted to standard spec - all at the owners expense.

At least it keeps the lunatic fringe in check - they now tend to fit their old Peugots with big amplifiers which simulate the sound of a turbo dump valve opening, which may be pathetic, but not illegal!
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

In France, car modifications are illegal! Completely. I know a few French guys who love their cars so much they've moved to England to start companies here for their passion as in France, you can only modify a car for off road use only!

As for stretching, the only real reason is for looks and for lowering the car onto rims that technically are to wide, as such you need to stretch the tyre so that you dont rub the arch. Alot also mod the arches by rolling and pulling them todo so too. Yes we could put extenders on but on some cars that would look horrid! Imagine arch extenders/flares on a z3 or s2000, brb. going to be sick on that thought!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Modifications in France

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Stretched tyres are merely a fashion, started in Germany where it was part of the 'Bad Boy' lower/wider look of the 'nineties.

It has no advantages, except in the minds of those who think it is stylish, and when carried to extremes (as usual!) it simply makes the tyre's breakaway very sudden, and reduces grip.

Fashion is a funny thing, isn't it?

The gendarmes are also keen on checking cars which have noisey exhausts, such cars often being tested as they came off the ferry, a failure meaning that it isimmediately sent back to the UK. Excessive lowering is another no-no.

Insurance companies tend not to cover any car with modifications which were not approved by the manufacturer or approval bodies such as the TuV, but things such as large bore inlet manifolds, which look to be standard, are easily overlooked. I would imagine that a car with a really major modification - say a Z3 with a V8 engine, could only be registered if it had been through the single vehicle type approval procedure

In general, if you bring the wrath of the gendarmes down on yourself by making lots of noise, or looking like a refugee from le Mans, you will have problems.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

To be honestly fair, I know a lot of friends that go to places like Belgium and Germany where they've gone through France with very modified cars (lowered, exhaust, engine conversions, stanced/stretched etc etc) and they've been fine.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Second that!!

Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Zedonist, its people like yourself that makes forum's enjoyable by all.

Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Zedonist, its "sick" brap :). LOL :D
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

JamesRowe wrote:Zedonist, its "sick" brap :). LOL :D
I'm now up to 4 members that appreciate styling haha!!

Dallan |07712 415 619

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Well I like it to and i have to admit that today is my birthday - I'm 59 :shock:
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

stupot50 wrote:Well I like it to and i have to admit that today is my birthday - I'm 59 :shock:
Happy Birthday :-P

Dallan |07712 415 619

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'm from the era of 'Jack Up Bars' on the rear leaf spring which would raise the car upto 10 inches (25cm for the younger members), now they were unstable ! :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Hahahaha.....I wish my build thread had this much interest lol :D :D

Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Build threads don't get a lot of interest on here... Most members are looking for their slippers half the time to care about 'The Gallery' :D .

Only joking guys.

Happy birthday by the way!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

JamesRowe wrote:Build threads don't get a lot of interest on here...!

I beg to differ, the recent V8 conversions done by Deano1712 http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... conversion

and Snatch http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... conversion

attracted lots of attention
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Zedonist wrote:Gazza, Looking at your stable, you still like leaf springs and cars that only like straight roads! Lol

Each to their own I say, I love all things Z and I am not racist or is zedist, to all the different groups, whether it be keep it standard and show room, or cut it chop it and bodge it, it just shows how versatile and appealing this car is.
I'm not a Purist either, I like some mods and dislike others :wink:

Ahhhh, my stable goes round corners with the addition of modern tyres :D except the vette :lol:
Gazza

ImageImage
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm sorry if Zedonist considers my coments to be not based on 'technical reasons but based on personal preferences and the lambasting of the younger generation as lunatics etc.' as I thought I had clearly pointed out that by stretching a tyre the sidewalls will be prevented from performing their designed task, resulting in a more sudden breakaway and less grip. Even though the steering may be sharper in good conditions, this seems a high price to pay.

At no time have I inferred that younger people are 'lunatics.'

Like it or not, this is merely a fashion followed by people who want to be seen as different for the sake of being different - although when everyone is doing the same thing, it becomes the norm!

If younger people want to do such things, they should be prepared for some older - and more experienced - people to offer criticism. Such criticism is not a personal thing, but simply an opinion based on sound reasoning, and if offence is taken at this, then perhaps those who are offended would prefer a world where all contrary opinons are forbidden.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Gazza wrote:
JamesRowe wrote:Build threads don't get a lot of interest on here...!

I beg to differ, the recent V8 conversions done by Deano1712 http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... conversion

and Snatch http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... conversion

attracted lots of attention
It was a joke :P
zibomb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by zibomb »

Looks good on the wheels.. Love meshed wheels good choice. What lower grill have you got there. not seen that before?
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

You like that angle ;) ha.

I will go outside and take a picture from directly behind, but I wand another 10mm on the spacers tbh. Need more width :)
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Few more.

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

nice shots ... i have a small streathc on my rears (moved over from other car ...... i could do with 10 or slighty more to get-some more width :shock:
here is a pic i did of mine .....( i like photography a lot but im no that good)