Transporting stuff in your Zed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Eastsix

Not specified

Transporting stuff in your Zed

Post by Eastsix »

Im sure this will resonate for those board members who, like me, only have the one car. over the last couple of years i've become quite adept at finding ways to get large and awkward things around in my roadster. I once transported a 180 com habitat dining table bench home by taking off the legs, dropping the roof and whacking it in the passenger seat. It only rained a little bit.

Anyway, trips to Ikea and the like normally end up with me saying 'no honey, we cant get that in the car' followed by much rolling of the eyes and reminding me that THIS is why we need a bigger car. So this time a 100x70cm picture frame was the goal, and I assumed that she could carry it on her lap on the passenger side with the roof down. Absolutely no chance of that. Too my enormous pride she worked out the solution herself - seats pulled forward a bit, and bingo! Dont worry, she kept a hold of the top of it for the journey, although there were no sings of it budging.

2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
PCSAM

blank

Re: Transporting stuff in your Zed

Post by PCSAM »

a trendy wind deflector you have now :D :D :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think that is getting quite close to the limit of what you can safely transport, without attracting interest from the boys in blue. I take it you did not go on the motorway with that!

I bought an Ikea bookcase a while back, and measured it and decided it would go in the boot. Had to take it out of the box in the car park, as some parts were laid side by side. All was going well until I got to the back panel, which was in one piece! A similar solution to the above was sought, but I had to go on the motorway to get home, so it had to bend a little to put the roof up. I did feel a bit of a tit, not thinking about the back panel, but hey ho, it went in, didn't it! I did buy another one some years later and and they had actually split the back panel in two, so that just went straight in. :D

The largest thing I have transported is a two piece aluminium loft ladder. This easily went in the passenger seat with the top couple of rungs over the headrest and a seatbelt round it to hold it in place. Quite safe, with nothing hanging out of the car. There are very few normal cars that could have managed it, even with rear seats folded down - more a roof-rack job methinks.

I'm quite impressed that my new 15ft sq. event canopy goes in the boot of the zed - but even more impressed that it easily goes in the boot of the frogeye, with room to spare. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I bought a power washer with accessories, and the answer was to empty the box and crush it, then put most in the boot, and some in the front seat. Tables and stuff in the front seat is pretty common too. Amazing what you can do when you think it through.
Cheers

Marc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Bass guitar and amplifier

Ampiifier in the footwell and the guitar on the seat still in its huge box with the neck going over the headrest

Not a problem you might think.......except it was Christmas Eve, freezing cold and in the evening with the roof off, attracted some strange looks whilst driving home :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Earlier this year I bought a new replacement Dashboard complete from Johnjo. He had posted it wrapped in Bubble with Shrink wrap over that. Someone in his wisdom at customs had cut the packaging open almost entirely from end to end... Idecided to remove the wrapping completely since the only way I could carry it in the Z was with the roof down and one end in the footwell with the rest of it sticking up and backwards...
Nothing like the looks...I think some people were flumoxed by the way I had the dash fitted in a car :shock: Sort of like a Picasso painting...a tad off!! :P
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

funny thing is i have a boot rack which ive never used. id like a suitcase for it, but id still probably never use it. What would be great is some kind of rack/ rig that can be attached to the boot rack to extend it and make it more practical for larger boxes and such.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Eastsix wrote:funny thing is i have a boot rack which ive never used. id like a suitcase for it, but id still probably never use it. What would be great is some kind of rack/ rig that can be attached to the boot rack to extend it and make it more practical for larger boxes and such.
Adapt a Bike rack maybe ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Eastsix wrote:
funny thing is i have a boot rack which ive never used. id like a suitcase for it, but id still probably never use it. What would be great is some kind of rack/ rig that can be attached to the boot rack to extend it and make it more practical for larger boxes and such.

Adapt a Bike rack maybe ?

Ha! I would never drive on a public road in a car carrying anything that had been 'adapted' by me!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Towbar and trailer ?

:D
Gazza

ImageImage