new cams?
the badness makes me do it...!

Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Anyone guess what i am up to?

Post by Gazza »

Shims ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Powdercoating/ mirror shine on the rocker cover?
1998 Montreal Blue Z3 1.9 (140Bhp E36 M44) "The Z".
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Wheyyyy!!
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Ah, I was going to guess 'cleaning the bathroom and painting the hall'.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Zedonist wrote: then bake in the oven while the missus is asleep!!
I love things like that - reminds me of cylinder heads in the dishwasher when nobody's looking!
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

What paint are you using, i recently replaced all my vac hoses with blue silicon ones, (couldnt get normal ones the timescale i had) now tempted to to the rocker a same colour to 'tie it in' y'using standard hight temp paint and laquer?
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Tempted... But why the 'crinkle' finish? Personal preference or does it give a better finish? Got any pics?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Is this the same brand of paint supplied for the original dash finish on MG's etc?? If it is, I must say it will be quite interesting to see the final result. I had to re-paint the dash on my MGB in black, and it was exactly the type of paint finish you describe. Actually very subtle wrinkling, almost more of a texture with a little bit of wriknle....sounds like my aged skin.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

That looks alright actually, the crinkle... May consider same in blue... Hmmmm
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

My missus hates you right now.... Alas no dishwasher... So a tub in the bath with dishy tabs in is doing the job.... She didn't look impressed....Image
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

.... Wonder if the caliphs can be done with the same method...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I currently have a carburettor sat in a washing up bowl on the lounge floor, whilst I disassemble, clean and fit new gaskets to it. The good news is that the smell of V-Power is starting to dissipate now. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

:) Image

Even gave the plastic cover a bit of a makeover too :)
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Yes, I did mine about two weeks ago - it is the 'trigger sensor' and that 112 is indeed it. Did mine, code went... Make sure they give you the one with the lead, they gave me an M43 one - even with the part number first.... And it's a ball ache to fit... Carefull not to break the plastic bracket for the wire round the corner of the timing case and you have to pull the top half of the manifold off to get to the plug at the other end!! Oh and keep the o-ring on the sensor.... Mine didn't come with a replacement - just the sensor...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I believe it is part #6 below (your car selected by VIN):

Timing case - BMW parts catalog

The one fitted to mine a while back was listed on the invoice as:

B12.14.1.743.072 - Trigger Contact

Your error codes are practically the same as mine, with 62 Aussetzererkennung Summenfehler (Missfire Summation Failure) and 52 Aussetzererkennung Zylinder 3 (Misfire Cylinder 3). I am guessing that mine is cause by something different as I don't have the other error and both mine seem to be at cold idle (which correlates with what I know as it sounds to miss a beat from cold sometimes). We came to the conclusion that Phasesensor is a Camshaft sensor (though I suppose it could also be a Crankshaft sensor), and from the general experiences on here I think the Camshaft sensor is more likely to cause misfires.

Edit: You might as well buy a replacement O-ring as well, this was B12.14.1.748.398 - O-Ring on my invoice.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

And Zedonist..... All I will say is bugger... I didn't notice that spray at gasket... My other ones were quite springy and crack free... Just re-used... Hoping the spraybar gasket stayed on the lump when I pulled off and refitted, is it 'loose' on there (I.e. likely to have come off during fitting/removal) or is it fairly well on there?
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

I didn't... the cam sensor just unbolted (two star bolts) and comes out, then there's a little o-ring round the sensor itself.... That bit takes like 30 seconds... It's the one sitting on the front of the timing case.

As said carefully prise the little plastic bracket that goes round the corner holding the wire (on the outside) of the timing cover... Similar to the one holding HT leads round the back - just a lot smaller then carefully removing the old sensor wire and feed the new one in its place.

The tricky bit is just getting the wire to the socket- to do that bugger you need to take off the air manifold (you can take it off with throttle body attached) but carefull on the little metal retaining clip at the socket end - I'd recommend grasping it with snip nose pliers and carefully taking it off so it doesn't 'ping' down the big open hole when the manifold is off! All in all quite easy - mine made a massive difference... Smoothed idle, better mpg, helped my emissions, but best of all cleared my fault code!!
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Oh, correction.. It's held on with 1 star bolt...
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Anyways, here's my finished article... Wondering if the manifold needs 'a little something' but I feel blue would be far to much... I'd like 'mirror shine' but that I suspect would be ball ache... Any suggestions?

Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Hmmmm worth a shot...
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I've enjoyed reading this thread lads - nice work. Needs a bit of carbon fibre somewhere under the bonnet to finish things off. :D
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Maybe the throttle cable cover could be the CF? That buggering hose... Thin one end, thick the other... I spent f*ckin hours stretching my blue silicon, boil, stretch, boil, stretch to get it to fit over the connector on the rubber boot!! Did it in the end... (Y'shoulda said you needed one, I have my perfectly good one here - just didn't want black so got dumped in the old parts box, also did all my injector air pipes in the blue silicon, shame can't see them with the manifold on :( )
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

I still prefer red... Wish I had red hoses :(
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Right, bugger it... Its coming off, gonna get some red vac lines, do it again in red... Mainly I want it to tie in with Calipers and I want them red, the blue won't contrast enough against the Montreal blue, plus in the future I want a white body spray... Which I still can't imagine blue looking right... Justifying as need to pull off and check the spray gasket, so it's gonna be off and I have 5 days of work now... Plus the air manifold can be done black while I'm at it... While I'm at it, I'm gonna attack the bumper and front bonnet chips as I have a can of very well matched spray still with plenty in... 5 days... Should be enough....
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Ok, now convinced... Def has to be done if the rocker cover has... Now you have to shine up all those old pipes and plastic in engine bay!
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

As I can't be arsed to wait around careless while I strip and dry... Took a trip down the breakers... Got a replacement rocker cover (cleaner than mine too!! Going to spend time stripping, cleaning and do a proper job on it then swap em out... So I anyone wants a replacement rocker cover in a week or so.... Give me a shout!
Dougblack

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dougblack »

Oh... Lol... Oh we'll, can't hurt to have a spare lol....

Easier this way with two- it's the daily drive for me and the missus, so having two meant I could do all the prep, rubbing down etc while she still did her daily bits and bobs, all I needed was swap-out time.

Anyways, having more time made a massive difference, had time to fully degrease it leaving it to soak, time to wire wool it down, dry it off, clean the spray bar etc (which may I mention, the one in the junkyard I pulled my spare from seemed to be missing not only the spray bar gasket, but also the bit the spray bar gasket goes on to (could se the threaded hole from the lump, but then the bit that screws onto it and the gasket goes on to was missing. It looked quite oil stained (like hadn't just been removed) Maybe the reason that one was in the junk yard... Someone forgot to put it back on after doing work? (and by god the 'higher' camshaft look bone dry)... Anyways rocker cover now red, vht'd, baked, new gaskets and on the motor as of about 20 mins ago :) red definitely better.

Also blaged some engine plastic bits, the cover for the coil pack, replacement fan cowling (mine was cracked) and generally other bits that looked shinier than my current. Ooh the spark plug remover tool... I didn't have one (blue thing) all in today's trip was 20 quid and a good hour of rummaging fun :)

Anyways, red silicone turn up tomorrow so can get the blue hoses swapped out, and tomorrow is brake Calipers day, luckily only did all my discs about a month ago, so should still come off okay :)

After that... Well I've got some CF vinyl for the boring black plastic interior, have put on the chrome door handle covers...then bumper chips, fill, spray and compound... Also very very toying with taking the stupid spoiler thing off... I know some like it... I don't... It's a proper BMW fitted one, so sure It'll find a new home.

Then...

Well...

Any ideas? Lol