Talk me into a Hardtop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Talk me into a Hardtop

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

I noticed some members are turning their thoughts to fitting their hardtops ready for winter. I have been thinking of getting one but also thinking will it just be a waste of money. The Zed has a heater :) heated seats if needed and being the facelift a double layered hood.

So the question is what are the advantages? if any?

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Talk me into a Hardtop

Post by Badman gee »

The major advantage is that it improves the look of the car. Mine has been on all year. I would not be without it.

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Also makes it quieter and a little warmer, heater rear screen is a bonus, gives the car a very different look, three styles for one car.

Downside is storage when not in use.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Hi Tim,
Ive got a hardtop for mine and it really does transform the feeling inside and the appearance outside. It feels a much different car with it on. The heated rear window is obviously great in winter too. Mine also has the headlining on the soft top, but i'd say if you can get one for a reasonable price (realistically you'll always be able to sell it for similar money) go for it :D
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

When I bought the Z earlier in the year I thought that I should look out for a hard top, mainly because of the 'excitement' of other posts about getting/looking for a hard top. But then I started thinking about the practicalities - if it's on, you can't just thrown the roof down when an opportune moment presents itself. Where would I keep it when off the car? I do have a large garage, but do I want a hard top cluttering it up. Would I need a hoist to lift it on and off? Etc, etc.

In the end I decided that I'd be spending a lot of money on something that I would actually end up finding a real PITA.

To qualify this - I have another car for wintertime.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

TBH if your car is a garage queen, then hardtops are completely pointless, as you will never see the benefit of them. It would just be a styling accessory for those that like the look of them. :wink:

For those of us that use our cars as a daily driver, they are an absolute godsend. Not only is the car so much quieter at motorway speeds, it is also warmer and you don't have to worry about when you last reproofed your hood. The heated rear windscreen is quite frankly an minor miracle and means that when my car has stood out all night in a hotel car park in the middle of winter, I can be ready to go in the time it takes me to de-ice the side windows! It also means I don't have to faff pointing the centre vents down the middle of the car and putting the fan on full if it does decide to steam up inside.

I love putting mine on, but I equally love taking it off again in spring as it means I can have the roof down again. (If we do get an unseasonably nice day in winter, I can of course just take the frog out for a spin, but I have survived 9 winters without being able to do this).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I used to use mine for about a two month's a year, other than that it was hanging up in the garage..
But I loved it, it was a different look, it stiffened the body up, it was nice having a heated window and not worrying about splitting the rear window accidentally when it was tempting to put the roof down.
The car was more secure and I didn't worry about it being left on the drive, and when it came off it was a 'wow' experience like having a new roadster again...
What are you waiting for? you just lost out on mine......

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for informative replies everyone :)

To be honest the benefits of the rear screen demister didn't even cross my mind, I've just go so used to the 3 not having one :) so would be a definite bonus. As for garage queen that will be reserved for the Z4 :lol: so the Z3 will be the daily driver once temps stay below 10C until next March. It was either sell the Z3 and buy a more winter friendly car or fit some winter rubber, cheaper :lol: So really its whether to go for a hardtop. The only thing I need to consider is once the hardtop is on it will probably be staying on as I simply don't have any room at present to store one, but I'm likeing the idea of a gloss black hardtop on titanium :)

Tim.
stumac

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stumac »

Hi,
I've had my hard top now for 3 months and its the best thing i've done,Its just like your in a differant car,no wind noise,Holds the heat in,Heated rear window,not prone to vandalism,Even the sterio sounds better,I also bought a storage trolly which is fantastic just take it off plonk it on the trolly and wheel it into the shed,And it makes the car look amazing,I could recomend it to any Z3 owner,Hope you get fixed up.
Stu.
magicmitch

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by magicmitch »

new to the forum so just thought I'd add my penny's worth.... I love the fact that in a Z you can flip the soft top up & down so quickly and easliy, on a recent road trip through wales we did just that, took every advantage of every moment of sunshine, so easy...I have a power hood and have now perfeceted the art of putting it up and down while driving at low speeds (left foot braking!!). To me the joy of the Z is top down, even in December last year we had the odd day when the sun was shining and in a moment we are off, fleecey on, grinning from ear to ear. I'd say stick with a soft top all year round, enjoy every ray of sunshine!!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I do the same thing magicmitch as I'm quite deft at left foot braking now. :D

I bought my hard top within 2 weeks of getting the car. Initially it was because I felt a bit nervous about leaving a soft top car outside as in years gone by my OH had her car tampered with when left on the drive. However, I found that because I couldn't remove it alone, I wasn't able to go out for a roof down blast on the (rare) sunny days. I've left it off for the last 3-4 months as I found I have a slight leak which defeats the object for me, though I'm confident I know how to sort it as I'd like to fit the hardtop just for the deepest part of winter.

Personally I don't like the look with it on (not that keen with the soft top up really as I think the car looks best as a roadster). It also makes the car too refined and I can't hear the six cylinder engine clearly enough for my liking...if I want to do a long motorway journey I'm lucky to have a company 320d Touring which is a better option if the roads aren't twisty.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

I have recently bought a hard top for Toadster my 2.2 which has been on since mid-August. That might sound sacriligious but I have Sharky my ///M roadster to drive and have top down moments with when-ever I feel like it. The hardtop is great for reducing road noise, for vision and the heated rear window is a mega bonus. My 2.2 is now my daily driver so the hard top is invaluable to me now the weather is getting cooler and the nights are drawing in. Toadster is not garaged so again the hard top is well suited to that. Tim would your z4 not handle better in adverse weather plus you can have the roof down whenever you like? I like the variety the hard top gives in terms of looks for the Z3 but it is slightly more difficult to get off than the roof on your new z4 :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

whiteminks wrote:I have recently bought a hard top for Toadster my 2.2 which has been on since mid-August. That might sound sacriligious but I have Sharky my ///M roadster to drive and have top down moments with when-ever I feel like it. The hardtop is great for reducing road noise, for vision and the heated rear window is a mega bonus. My 2.2 is now my daily driver so the hard top is invaluable to me now the weather is getting cooler and the nights are drawing in. Toadster is not garaged so again the hard top is well suited to that. Tim would your z4 not handle better in adverse weather plus you can have the roof down whenever you like? I like the variety the hard top gives in terms of looks for the Z3 but it is slightly more difficult to get off than the roof on your new z4 :wink:
Thanks for the replies everyone :) I don't know what to do now :lol: the one thing thats putting me off slightly in getting a hardtop is once I have on the Zed I know it won't be coming off anytime soon which I don't particularly want, I simply have no storage space at all :( on the other side of the coin I'm kinda itching to fit a top in gloss black as I think it would look 8-)

Thanks Paula, yes the Z4 would be better for the winter as the roof is far more flexible however the big stumbling block are the summer runflats, I know for a fact an inch of snow and the Zed will be rendered completely useless, fell into that trap in 2010 with the 1 Series with 18" runflats when I got well and truly stuck. It was funny as one day at work just before x-mas 2010 we had a blizzard and as soon as it started I ran to the 1 Series and drove straight home :oops: as I knew I would get stuck once the snow was on the ground.

BMW do a 17" winter wheel package for the E89 with winter runflats but want over £1500 :( Last winter I bought a set of BMW 16" winter runflats for the 1 Series and those were £1250 so its serious money. I'm just not keen fitting cheaper aftermarket alloys and would rather stick with the runflats for the Z4. This is why I will be using the Z3 this winter, first time in my 4 years of ownership :lol: It was far cheaper getting some decent aftermarket alloys and fitting them with all season tyres which will be enough to keep the Zed going in the snow should we have any. I did consider buying a cheap 4x4 runabout for winter use and selling it again in the spring but decided a third car was a no no, insurance etc :lol:

Tim.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I would get one, try it for the winter if you don't like it sell it! If you don't pay over the odds you'll always get your money back. It's not like alloys and tyres that are worth a pittance in comparison to their new cost.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

('_')Z3 wrote:I would get one, try it for the winter if you don't like it sell it! If you don't pay over the odds you'll always get your money back. It's not like alloys and tyres that are worth a pittance in comparison to their new cost.
Thanks Jon, that is actually a good idea as hardtops always seem to be in demand so an easy sell if I didn't like it. Hmmmmm I may actually do that as you suggest, quite like a new look for the Zed as already changed the alloys :)

Tim.
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

I drove my Z3 in the winter several times and will be doing it again this year. The hardtop sits on the car from Nov-March (I have it on early this year) I have a set of 16" wheels with All season tires for autumn and winter use. If the snow gets real bad here I won't be driving in either case.

Here is a pic of mine before I had it painted to match.
Here it is color matched.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

amancuso wrote:I drove my Z3 in the winter several times and will be doing it again this year. The hardtop sits on the car from Nov-March (I have it on early this year) I have a set of 16" wheels with All season tires for autumn and winter use. If the snow gets real bad here I won't be driving in either case.

Here is a pic of mine before I had it painted to match.
Here it is color matched.
Hi amancuso,

Thanks for the reply and nice pics :lol:

Out of interest what all season tyres do you have fitted and how do you rate them in the snow? I have not long fitted a set of all seasons ready for the winter and hoping this is a wise choice than going for full winter tyres :|

Tim.
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Thanks Tim!

I would recommend Continental DWS tires for light snow use up to 2" of snowfall. Around here the plows are very active and so are the road treatments. However, nothing beats a bona-fide winter tire in those conditions.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

amancuso wrote:Thanks Tim!

I would recommend Continental DWS tires for light snow use up to 2" of snowfall. Around here the plows are very active and so are the road treatments. However, nothing beats a bona-fide winter tire in those conditions.
Thanks amancuso, I went for Vredestein Quatrac 3s which are apparently very good in the snow but obviously not as good as dedicated winter tyres but like yourself my local roads are trunk roads very rarely get snowed up. I have gone for a compromise so I can keep the all season wheels on the Zed throughout the year :)

Regards,

Tim.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TitanTim wrote:
('_')Z3 wrote:I would get one, try it for the winter if you don't like it sell it! If you don't pay over the odds you'll always get your money back. It's not like alloys and tyres that are worth a pittance in comparison to their new cost.
Thanks Jon, that is actually a good idea as hardtops always seem to be in demand so an easy sell if I didn't like it. Hmmmmm I may actually do that as you suggest, quite like a new look for the Zed as already changed the alloys :)

Tim.
That's very true - you literally can't lose money on a hardtop so if you're undecided you may as well have a go.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Are you planning on moving Tim ? Snow!! Tyres!! Basil would look gorgeous with a black tin tip and if you dont like it you could sell it to me :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

TitanTim wrote:Hi all,

I noticed some members are turning their thoughts to fitting their hardtops ready for winter. I have been thinking of getting one but also thinking will it just be a waste of money. The Zed has a heater :) heated seats if needed and being the facelift a double layered hood.

So the question is what are the advantages? if any?

Cheers,

Tim.

I never let my machine out in bad weather. It's under wraps now only to emerge if the sun shines - well, until next April/May.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:Are you planning on moving Tim ? Snow!! Tyres!! Basil would look gorgeous with a black tin tip and if you dont like it you could sell it to me :D
Haha thanks Gill, well with all the rain we've had this year this winter could be interesting :lol:

So back to the tin tiptop would I have to get a black one or silver to satisfy you Gill? :wink:

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

A Black one! for Old zeddy perfect, and for Tess, great contrast :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:A Black one! for Old zeddy perfect, and for Tess, great contrast :D
Great minds think alike :D

Tim.