How big are your Rims?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

How big are your Rims?

Post by huntert »

Hi guys, how big are your rims? is there anyone on here running on 19" or 20" rims? any pictures?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: How big are your Rims?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I would hope people have more sense than to fit such wheels for cosmetic reasons!

The very low aspect ratio tyres fitted to them - and the rims - would be wiped out on the first pothole.

The sooner we get Type Approval to stop such nonsense the better.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Ha ha, its definately your age. Im a young 45 and like the look of the large rims and skinny tyres. I suppose its all a matter of taste and what you want the car for...mine will be a second car for driving about and experimenting on with different looks.....................
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Its all personal taste but I think 18s are about right for the Z3. Another thing to bear in mind is the width on the fronts which will determine how good or bad the car will behave. I went from the original factory alloys 7.5x17 fronts and 8.5x17 rears to 8.5x18 all round and found with the wider fronts with a slightly stretched 225/40 tyre whilst the ride was OK, tramlining and stability were definitely compromised. I've just swapped the alloys to 8x18 all round with 225/40 front and rear and the handling is a revelation, much much better and no feeling the car will tramline and pull you into the curb. I think 19s or 20 inch wheels will destroy the cars handling characteristcs if your not careful.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Im not sure that the height of the rim will cause more tramlineing..more the width would i think..and if someone had a 20" with an 8.5 width it shouldnt be any worse than a 18" with a 8.5 width...maybe im wrong but thats how it seems.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

18s are ideal for the Z3,, any bigger will look to big..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

I have 19" and don't have any problems, car handles extremely well.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Captain wrote:I have 19" and don't have any problems, car handles extremely well.

Sent from my HTC Desire
Im likeing that...20 really may be an option then..... :D
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Mine are the standard 16" alloys 5 spoke...they look a little small, but I tried to find some bigger ones without much luck, then decided to spend the money (and then some) on a newer projector, which is better for the dark nights now anyway. By the time we get to spring again I might look into some 18" wheels for my 3.0 (I've already uprated the bushes and fitted a strut brace). FWIW I'll be 47 at Christmas. :cry:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Maybe I'm showing my age, but I would hope people have more sense than to fit such wheels for cosmetic reasons!

The very low aspect ratio tyres fitted to them - and the rims - would be wiped out on the first pothole.

The sooner we get Type Approval to stop such nonsense the better.
The Z3 will have TUV approval for 19s in Germany as I'm pretty ACS had 19s in their BMW-approved accessory range. Agree though 19s are too big and 20s just plain crazy.

18s look fine on the Z3 if it's lowered a tad.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A 19 inch wheel may be just about acceptable on the best of the billiard table-like roads of Germany, but in the UK - forget it!

The problem is that the more impressionable amongst us are conditioned by the magazines to think that bigger is indeed better, and do not think about the inherent problems.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

i have 18 on my 3.0i rides like a dream , considering the state of the roads up here :D
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

18's on the Z3

19's on the M3, I had 19's on the Z4 M Coupe too. No problems, no pot hole damage, nothing with regards to using them on our roads. I cover 12-15k miles a year too. IMO you shouldn't discount 19's on the basis of them not being suitable for our roads. However you may want to discount them on a combination of the facts they may well cause the handling to be adversely affected, cost of tyres will be higher and depending on the style may look too big.

Go for 18's 8-)
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
z3mcoupe999

M coupe S50

Post by z3mcoupe999 »

19s everytime IMO had mine on for 6 years no probs at all and look much better, just don't buy aftermarket crap wheels and you are fine.
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Im going for 20s i think...please dont hate me...i dont drive like im on a track...just gonna potter about looking fab. I know it sounds shallow..but hey...its my second car not a DD :)
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

the right 19s look good, interested to see what 20's would look like. With regard to MF post. I run 22 on my X5 with 30 profile tyres. in the 18 months of onwership i didnt loose any to potholes....i was dodginh them though.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Bench wrote:the right 19s look good, interested to see what 20's would look like. With regard to MF post. I run 22 on my X5 with 30 profile tyres. in the 18 months of onwership i didnt loose any to potholes....i was dodginh them though.
Iv got 22s on my Murano and they look ace...much better than the OEM 18s
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Stock 16x7 for autumn/winter - Stock 17x7.5 and 17x8.5 for spring/summer
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Would 20" rims actually fit?

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

So long as the overall diameter with tyre (ie tyre profile adjusted accordingly) then yes.

The problem may be finding the right combination of offset, width and tyre to fit a Z3, not that rim diameter.

It will look like one of those cartoon mug cars though but if thats what the owner wants then thats his choice and it would be interesting to see a car with them on.

I personally stick to the old formula of 1 inch bigger than the largest OEM wheel as a good guide so 18 inch on the Z3 for me.

I don't care what anyone says but lower profile tyre will compromise ride quality. Its getting the balance of compromise thats right for you that matters. I'm happy to put up with the compromise with 18's as its not that noticeable to me for a much better look (and its not my daily driver) but I've had daily drivers that I've had smaller alloys fitted on (did that with an S class with AMG's as the ride was too hard and fitted wheels 2 inches smaller which made the car drive like an S class should).
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Sorry to be blunt but 20" will look crap on a Z3.. The Z3s arches are to small for big alloys IMO.. Don't do it

huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Those alloys are awful in the first place...not a good representaion, so has nobody on here done the 20" thing? Whould be good to see some 18,19,20" comparison photos.
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

After this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOXR1xJcp4
Im sure that 20" is not good idea, looks awful.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Emek wrote:After this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOXR1xJcp4
One word: Perambulator!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :bawl:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

18's

19's

The 19's require some mods to the arch liners so that full lock can be achieved but they fit apart from that. 20's would pretty much be impossible I think, like Jonttt it's not the diameter of them it's finding the correct offset and width to allow the wheels to be turned properly and to clear the suspension etc.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Emek wrote:After this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOXR1xJcp4
SWMBO has just informed me that she did not realise 2 inches made so much difference :puzzle:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

g8jka wrote:18's

19's

The 19's require some mods to the arch liners so that full lock can be achieved but they fit apart from that. 20's would pretty much be impossible I think, like Jonttt it's not the diameter of them it's finding the correct offset and width to allow the wheels to be turned properly and to clear the suspension etc.

THey both look great........... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

huntert wrote:Ha ha, its definately your age. Im a young 45 and like the look of the large rims and skinny tyres. I suppose its all a matter of taste and what you want the car for...mine will be a second car for driving about and experimenting on with different looks.....................
No evidence of thought for the actual suitability, mechanics or ride quality - and no to mention the utter expense of new wheels, new tyres and non-stop repairs to the rims which believe you me will need to be done, over and over again.

By the way - my photos below show 18" rims - and it's hard enough keeping that front inside wheel from occasionally touching kerbs - or indeed, anything which sticks up from he road. You have been warned - take Mike Fishwick's advice I say.

Another under 30s thing.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Go mad and fit 22" rims.. Will look like a matchbox model! :D

Honestly fella go for 18" you won't regret it

18"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

huntert wrote: Im a young 45
John1950 wrote: Another under 30s thing.
hmmm.... evidently not.......

There again is that such a bad thing?, it is usually our under 30's who are responsible for this world progressing, we would still be using starting handles and red flags, change happens cos the old boy's ways die with them.

I'm 52 and when I get my Z3, it will be having the above 19's I have kept .
guess I too don't want to be an old fart just yet..... :roflmao:
John1950 wrote:non-stop repairs to the rims which believe you me will need to be done, over and over again.
Really? I had these on my Z4 for years, no problem, but then I do try to avoid kerbs and potholes.
John1950 wrote: Take Mike Fishwick's advice I say.
Best argument 'for' it, so far.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

running 19's, lowered 30mm
http://youtu.be/Wlc7v7qrVXA

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

John1950 wrote:By the way - my photos below show 18" rims - and it's hard enough keeping that front inside wheel from occasionally touching kerbs - or indeed, anything which sticks up from he road.
They look like BBS 108s like ive had on both of my Z4s and you will have to constantly repair them due to corrosion issues..... also keeping the wheel from touching the kerb....doesnt that say more about your driving ability then the size of the Rim? Driving over anything sticking up in the road? Id be avoiding anything like that anyway, surely? :roll:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:
John1950 wrote:non-stop repairs to the rims which believe you me will need to be done, over and over again.
Really? I had these on my Z4 for years, no problem, but then I do try to avoid kerbs and potholes.
I have also had mine on for years, which are replicas and have never had to repair any of mine, although I also try to miss potholes and kerbs and clean them regularly to keep them looking great (must be an under 30's thing) :lol:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Kerbing = careless drivers (no disrespect John :wink: ) yes accidents can happen. I've only ever kerbed one wheel in 28 years on a horrendous hospital car park where the entry and exit barriers were flanked by massive curbs on a slight bend with the width less than your car :x

Tim.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Tim, try driving through this in a Z3, proper arse clencher the first and only time I drove across this bridge :roflmao:

http://goo.gl/maps/3BJde
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Looks tight...very
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

XVar wrote:Tim, try driving through this in a Z3, proper arse clencher the first and only time I drove across this bridge :roflmao:

http://goo.gl/maps/3BJde

Nah thats not tight :)

Try this bridge near me, especially when you arrive at it at the last minute you have to swing right (with the long bonnet on a Z that does make your eyes water, as you see all the scuffs and scrapes in the brickwork of cars gone by :( )