M Tec steering wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jenmark

Z3 roadster 2.8

M Tec steering wheel

Post by jenmark »

Hi folks, am i right in thinking a steering wheel from
an E36 would fit straight on to a Z3 (2000 model)
jenmark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: M Tec steering wheel

Post by jenmark »

Hi folks, managed to get me a really nice mtec steering
wheel, am i right in thinking you need to disconect the
battery when changing the wheel over to stop the air
bag light coming on, any advise appreciated.
thanks Mark.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Make sure the battery is disconnected when changing the steering wheel.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Have you any links to a picture of this wheel? I have an 'M' steering wheel in my Z3 3.0 but find that the rims is a bit thin. I know there was someone who offered a service to retrim them, but don't know if this can make the rim thicker, so looking for alternative. Even my work 320d estate has a thicker steering wheel rim...
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

I've just recently had steering wheel done on my car for the very same reason, rim too thin after getting used to driving a E46 M3 for 3 years it felt positively spindly and slippery.
I used Royal Steering wheels. Cost £114 exchange (+ £100 refundable deposit) did a great job. It really makes a difference to driving the car.

royalsteeringwheels.com
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

I have also had my steering done by royal steering wheels. Very impressed would recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

jenmark wrote:Hi folks, am i right in thinking a steering wheel from
an E36 would fit straight on to a Z3 (2000 model)
Just to correct this older post and subsequent incorrect answer....

A post 04/99 Z3 will have a dual stage airbag system but an e36 3 series is single stage so the slipring wiring and airbag will only be compatible if you bridge one of the circuits with a resistor otherwise you will get constant SRS warnings and the system will be disabled ie its NOT a straight swap (it is to a pre 04/99 Z3 though ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

petecossie wrote:I've just recently had steering wheel done on my car for the very same reason, rim too thin after getting used to driving a E46 M3 for 3 years it felt positively spindly and slippery.
I used Royal Steering wheels. Cost £114 exchange (+ £100 refundable deposit) did a great job. It really makes a difference to driving the car.

royalsteeringwheels.com
That's not too far from me (though I had in mind there was someone based near Abingdon).

Have you posted any pictures of it that you could link to? I'd want it in leather rather than the suede type material, but mainly just a thicker rim with less slip as you say.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Zedonist wrote:The answer is correct the steering wheels are compatible, it is just general common sense to ensure it is from same model year and correct electrical connection, slip rings and airbags are interchangeable, spline fixing and wheel design are the same pre and post face lift.
The original question was is it a straight fit and I don't think it is and your answer stated it was which is misleading and so I corrected you.

So far as I know the e36 was never produced with a dual stage SRS system so it does not matter what year it is from (but please correct me if I'm wrong)

Ps I spent many months researching the Z3 SRS airbag system to fit the single stage wheel safely in my dual stage post 04/99 Z3 ;–)
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Zedonist wrote:Hi jontt Imy original answer was based on steering wheels, and they will all fit both versions, airbags is a different question, one which you have answered, I would. Assume though that the airbags are available for both, certainly the steering wheel I have was fitted from 1996 through to the end of production, so both airbag systems are available, and there are examples on ebay, I believe the wires required are on the post face lift slip ring which an owner will already have on their existing wheel.
At the risk of repeating myself I think your answer was misleading to the obvious question intended ie its not a straight swap. If you can't see that or won't admit it I'm not going to try and convince you. Let's leave it at that shall we ;-)