ABS AND ASC LIGHTS ON HELP?????

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

ABS AND ASC LIGHTS ON HELP?????

Post by pete59 »

Advise please started the car today and the ABS andASC dash lights will not go out,moved the car about ect but they are still on,the car was fine when i put it away last week,any advise please before i have to book her in to my local garage,thanks pete
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: ABS AND ASC LIGHTS ON HELP?????

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You might try taking the car for a decent run - I've read other posts where the lights come on, but go off after a decent run. Otherwise you need to get the codes read. Best to try and find a fellow forum member that has diag software. I'd offer if you were nearer by.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

It's most probably the wheel sensors. Take then out and clean them. They're held in place with an allen headed nut. They tend to be corroded in so are difficult to get out, especially the front ones, so be careful not to shear them off. The ASC light might not go out straight away, but should after a couple of journeys, if that's the fault. There's other threads about this elsewhere as it's so common.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

BladeRunner919 wrote:You might try taking the car for a decent run - I've read other posts where the lights come on, but go off after a decent run.
Agreed, I had exactly this problem after a flat battery. The cure was a long run (circa 60 miles). I tried to clean the wheel sensors but they were well and truly stuck and I didn't want to risk shearing them off. My theory was they were ok when I parked up, why should they become dirty being parked in the garage?

I also had the added complication of the brake fluid warning light as well even though there was plenty of fluid in the reservoir.

Give it a good run Pete and see how it goes.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I definitely think it's worth getting the sensors off. I put up with mine and kept having problems and it just takes the fun out of the Z, not knowing when it will happen again. Each time it happened, the computer would cut the power to the engine and while you could drive it, the acceleration was awful. If you use a penetrating oil and leave them soaking overnight, they should free up ( i've heard WD40 isn't what should be used). Then, once they have been cleaned, and put back with a bit of grease around the sides, it then becomes a 10 minute job to regularly do it. I do mine every time I take the wheels off, or every 6 months. I never have problems with them now.