Storing Spare Wheel in Boot

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Storing Spare Wheel in Boot

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Recently treated the Zed to a new spacesaver after seeing a fellow members wheel disintegrate when in use :( My original spacesaver wasn't in bad nick but I wouldn't want to risk it on a 11 year old tyre. Anyways decided rather than slinging it back under the car where it will be exposed to the elements etc to keep it in a wheel bag in the boot. The 16" spacesaver will fit just nicely so it doesn't move around aided by the boot hump, glad I never removed it now :lol: OK you will lose a little boot space but hardly drastic and saves faffing with the under car storage cradle, hardly the best design IMHO.

So if you wondered whether a spare will fit in the boot, yes it will :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Storing Spare Wheel in Boot

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think I'll replace mine too, but stick it back underneath. How much was a new tyre? I assume you changed the tyre rather than buy a complete wheel and tyre?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I bought new wheel and tyre recently - wheel £30 from BMMiniParts - tyre £90 (inc. fitting) from ATS!!!! I have waxoyled the wheel and stored it in a binliner to protect it from the elements. Couldn't believe how rusty it was and even though the tyre had never been used, I dare not risk using 13 year old rubber, hence I bought new.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I think I'll replace mine too, but stick it back underneath. How much was a new tyre? I assume you changed the tyre rather than buy a complete wheel and tyre?
I was quite lucky in that respect, I bought the wheel and tyre off e-bay, the wheel was unused but the tyre had been replaced and was on Auction at £15 starting price. I e-mailed the seller and offered £35 which they accepted, I was a bit gobsmacked they accepted my offer as when I looked at others (mainly 3 series spacesavers) sellers were asking from £25 to £35 for a rusty wheel :( The new tyre alone must have cost more, I think the seller just wanted shot of the wheel.

Unsure what they would cost new or the tyre seperately. I did look on RealOEM and BM Miniparts but couldn't find the spacesavers listed for the Z3 then pure coincidence one popped up on e-bay which was Zed specific.

Tim.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

With the spare in the boot, and the CD changer hump, it looks about the same size as the boot on a Z1 - just about OK for most things, but not for camping!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:With the spare in the boot, and the CD changer hump, it looks about the same size as the boot on a Z1 - just about OK for most things, but not for camping!
Perhaps you could put some camping gear in the spare wheel carrier and stick it under the car!! :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Never been into camping, comfy hotels for me :) So long as I can get me sarnies in the boot I'm happy :lol:

Tim.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

What tyre size is fitted to your 16" rim? The standard fit for the Zed is 125/90 x15".I can't find any mention of a 16" spare anywhere.Fitting the wrong size of tyre would make the cradle unusable anyway.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I managed to locate a 15" wheel, so mine is identical to the original. I did try my local dealer first, and the 15" was no longer available, so he tried to get the 16" and couldn't get that either. If you fit a 16" wheel, then you would need to reduce the height of the sidewall by 1/2" - so if standard is 125/90 x15, then you would want 125/80 x16 - this makes sense as we normally say reduce the profile by 5% (one size) when going from 15" to 16" or 16" to 17" standard tyres, which are almost exactly twice the width of the spacesaver. The tyre for a 16" wheel may well be cheaper!

Cheers R.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

I think the recent thread has got a lot of us thinking about that spare. I removed mine at the weekend and after removing the bit of muck that was on it it doesn't look too bad for a 13 year old wheel.

My thoughts were to take it down to my local tyre shop and get their opinion on the wheel and if okay, get a new tyre put on?? Thoughts??

I like the idea of the protective cover you have Tim - where did you purchase yours??

I do plan to put it back underneath in the carrier though as I put more than my sarnies in the boot :D . Now I've removed it once and know it's only basically 2 nuts to undo then I'd be quite happy removing it if needed. One thing I didn't realise until I removed it was that the valve has an "extension" to the outside of the carrier so you can check the pressure without removing it... and I'm afraid that shows a complete lack of care of my spare during ownership :oops:
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yours looks in better nick than mine, snoops. Mine was starting to corrode round the edge of the rim and didn't look like it would hold air for much longer. I would definitely replace the tyre as 13 year rubber can't be up to much good, but they do seem to be quite expensive. The wheel on the other hand, assuming you can find one, is cheap as chips.

Cheers R.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Frank.A wrote:What tyre size is fitted to your 16" rim? The standard fit for the Zed is 125/90 x15".I can't find any mention of a 16" spare anywhere.Fitting the wrong size of tyre would make the cradle unusable anyway.
Will have to double check tyre size Frank, I did check the Zeds handbook before I bought the wheel and it specified a 16" spacesaver for the 1.9 Sport. Got me interested now as I didn't check the size of the original spare as kinda wrote the wheel off when I examined it at the time.

Tim.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Looking on Ebay at E46 spare wheels indicates a variety of tyres for 16" rim ranging from 100/90 through 115/90 to 125/90.Just curious as to what tyre Tim has on the spare he bought and what would fit in the cradle.My spare wheel is in relatively good shape but the tyre will be well past its sell by date,so a later 16" rim and tyre would be cheaper than an original replacement.

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

snoops wrote:I think the recent thread has got a lot of us thinking about that spare. I removed mine at the weekend and after removing the bit of muck that was on it it doesn't look too bad for a 13 year old wheel.

My thoughts were to take it down to my local tyre shop and get their opinion on the wheel and if okay, get a new tyre put on?? Thoughts??

I like the idea of the protective cover you have Tim - where did you purchase yours??

I do plan to put it back underneath in the carrier though as I put more than my sarnies in the boot :D . Now I've removed it once and know it's only basically 2 nuts to undo then I'd be quite happy removing it if needed. One thing I didn't realise until I removed it was that the valve has an "extension" to the outside of the carrier so you can check the pressure without removing it... and I'm afraid that shows a complete lack of care of my spare during ownership :oops:
Hi Snoopy Snoops,

I bought the wheel bag off e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190734185083? ... 1439.l2649

Its well made with a carrying handle and velcro on one side, I'm guessing to help stop it sliding around if you put it in the boot. If you do order make sure you specify to the seller what size wheel the bag is for. I would imagine you can still store the wheel and bag in the cradle or wrap it in a bin liner :lol:

You're not the only one, I've never checked the spare in 4 years not even the tyre pressure :oops: its the out of sight out of mind :lol: so I've put it in the boot for a reason i.e. so I don't forget :roll:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Frank.A wrote:Looking on Ebay at E46 spare wheels indicates a variety of tyres for 16" rim ranging from 100/90 through 115/90 to 125/90.Just curious as to what tyre Tim has on the spare he bought and what would fit in the cradle.My spare wheel is in relatively good shape but the tyre will be well past its sell by date,so a later 16" rim and tyre would be cheaper than an original replacement.
Frank if you have the Zeds handbook handy it will tell you the various spacesaver and tyre sizes for each Zed engine size. I would check mine for you but I'm in the Z4 this week, the 3 is locked away until the weekend.

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well my manual only lists the one:

T 125/90 R 15 96 M

Cheers R.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:Well my manual only lists the one:

T 125/90 R 15 96 M

Cheers R.
Mines the 2nd Edition :wink:

Tim.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I had a puncture last week. Had thought that I should work out how to get the spare out from underneath ever since I bought the Z nearly 3 years ago. Fortunately it was daytime and dry and there was pressure in the spare (never checked it but it had 30lb in, enough to drive home on!). All went well following the diagram showing how to release it. The hardest part was getting the extension unscrewed from the valve, took ages. Would recommend a touch of vaseline or similar to stop it seizing on. Tin of black hammerite on my shopping list, the wheel is rusty!!! BTW Black Circles do a Continental CST17 (Spare Tyre) - 125/90 R15 M (96) for £67.70 fitted. I`m thinking of getting one as I think most of us are carrying a spare that is well past its use by date. Anyway buying a new one is usually a good guarantee you`ll never have to use it.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TitanTim wrote: I would imagine you can still store the wheel and bag in the cradle or wrap it in a bin liner
I wonder if that's a good idea - I think wrapping the wheel has the potential to cause more corrosion/degradation, as moisture gets trapped in the bag. I guess you could include some silica pouches and wrap it as airtight as possible?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Which is why I applied copious quantities of Waxoyl to both sides of the rim.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Keefboz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keefboz »

I'm glad I stumbled accross this thread, it's something I would never have thought of checking, until maybe it might have been too late.

Going to check the condition of mine tonight.
"Drive it like you stole it.... then pay your tickets"
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Forget the idea of wrapping the spare in a bin liner - they are never waterproof, and will bio-degrade quite rapidly. Derust it, prime and paint with Smootherite.

I must admit that storing the spare in the boot seems to be more trouble than it's worth - although the boot must be emptied to get at the spare wheel cradle fastenings, it only takes a few minutes, which is set against the reduction in boot space when not having a puncture. It depends on whether you use the boot for anythign more than sandwiches and a thermos.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

For anyone interested there are 2 unused wheels on Ebay with correct tyre 125/90 x 15".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BMW-15-GE ... 27cc330dac

He has 2 the same.Make him an offer,I did and it was accepted.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Frank.A wrote:For anyone interested there are 2 unused wheels on Ebay with correct tyre 125/90 x 15".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BMW-15-GE ... 27cc330dac

He has 2 the same.Make him an offer,I did and it was accepted.
Do you know how old they are? Mine's 'unused', but still 14 years old!!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
TitanTim wrote: I would imagine you can still store the wheel and bag in the cradle or wrap it in a bin liner
I wonder if that's a good idea - I think wrapping the wheel has the potential to cause more corrosion/degradation, as moisture gets trapped in the bag. I guess you could include some silica pouches and wrap it as airtight as possible?
The storage bag is vented i.e. has mesh vents around the sides I guess too minimise condensation etc.

Tim.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TitanTim wrote:The storage bag is vented i.e. has mesh vents around the sides I guess too minimise condensation etc.

Tim.
I was really thinking about bin bags rather than the one you have. I guessed yours was breathable.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

the valve has an "extension" to the outside of the carrier so you can check the pressure without removing it
I've removed mine as I don't like the arrangement whereby it keeps the tyre valve permanently open, if the connector comes even slightly loose or the tube becomes porous you can end up with a flat spare.
It's a bit of a pain checking the pressure now as the tyre has to be removed but probably worth while as you can then empty the loose stones that seem to gather in the wheel centre and practice your tyre changing skills ready for that puncture on a dark rainy night.
My spare has only lost a couple of pounds in over two years so you could probably get away with not checking it at all or always carry a pump just in case.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:The storage bag is vented i.e. has mesh vents around the sides I guess too minimise condensation etc.

Tim.
I was really thinking about bin bags rather than the one you have. I guessed yours was breathable.
You could put holes in the bin bag :lol:

Tim.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

I definitly need to change mein!

Image[/URL]

I had a look on e-bay; ther is only one for sale! I'm sure we can fine these keind of wheel on other cars (BMW or not...). Does anyone know where to look to find a cheap one?

Thanks.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Pierrick wrote:What about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-14 ... 2a238540ef
I would double check with the seller that it is a BMW spacesaver :lol: although looks to be. To be on the safeside I would stick with E36/46 models.

Tim.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi everyone. I agree a price on this spare wheel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-15 ... 43b69011e7

The seller will stop the auction and I'll pay him by cash when I'll pick it up.

15£!! Bargain, BUT... can anyone confirm this will fit on the BMW? (looks the same!)
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

That's the same size as mine, just double checked on my pictures when I removed it recently.

Snoops ont'apatalk
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Ok thanks. I'm not too worry about the size... more about the mountings! Space between the nuts, "shape" of the wheel...
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Pierrick wrote:Hi everyone. I agree a price on this spare wheel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-15 ... 43b69011e7

The seller will stop the auction and I'll pay him by cash when I'll pick it up.

15£!! Bargain, BUT... can anyone confirm this will fit on the BMW? (looks the same!)
Don't buy that space saver as it won't fit - completely different PCD (98) and much smaller centre bore.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Well, Chiefy you are right!

Unfortunatly I've just seen your answer! I wasted 15£ of fuel this morning! When I arrived to the seller place I just told him I wanted to check if the wheel was the same as my old one and it didn't take long to realise they were different!

Anyway, i'll have to find another one! But if someone is only looking for a tyre, this one is brand new! And at 15£ it's cheaper than one directly from Bridgestone!

So dou you know where to find a wheel which fit and how to be sure about it?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Pierrick wrote:Well, Chiefy you are right!

Unfortunatly I've just seen your answer! I wasted 15£ of fuel this morning! When I arrived to the seller place I just told him I wanted to check if the wheel was the same as my old one and it didn't take long to realise they were different!

Anyway, i'll have to find another one! But if someone is only looking for a tyre, this one is brand new! And at 15£ it's cheaper than one directly from Bridgestone!

So dou you know where to find a wheel which fit and how to be sure about it?
Peirrick, e-bay is your friend thats where I bought mine, unsure where your based but I'm sure postage won't be a problem, also BMW E46 3 Series will fit. Just check your Zeds handbook for wheel size, I think standard was 15" although I went for a 16"

E36

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=B ... &_from=R40

E46

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=B ... &_from=R40

Be careful if buying from a car breakers or read the description on condition as when I was looking some are described as being rusty and were asking what I thought was too much money for a rusty wheel.

Tim.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Thankx tim. I know there is quite a few spare wheels for sale on e-bay... but a lot more expensive than the one I've seen this morning! At 15£ I had to give it a go!

I don't get it, those wheel are very similar.... why when you want to buy something for a BMW it have to be that expensive!
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

If anyone needs a 16" space saver wheel for a Z3 with a really good tyre & only a very few surface rust spots, I am giving one away free to a good home.
I got Hold of a brand new one for a good price, so my original one (which I only looked at after reading this thread!), needs a home..
I don't want to post it to anywhere, but if someone would like to collect it, it's theirs. I'm in West Norfolk.
Mail me if you want it, first come, first served!
Trayton.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

There will be a lucky one in Norfolk! too far for me!

And just to know is it possible to put a 16" in the tray under the car? Or you have to keep the wheel in the boot?
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

C'est vraiment dommage que tu es trop loin, Pierrick, parce qu'on pourrait parler un peu en français!
The 16" wheel was the one originally fitted to my car, so yes, it does fit in the tray, no problem. In fact, if you check the part number for the plastic tray on real oem, there is only one available, so both wheel sizes fit in it.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you get the right size tyre on it, a 16" should be the same size as a 15". The tray has a raised part that goes into the centre part of the wheel, but I would hope this will fit as the 16" should have more space in the centre, not less.

BMW didn't have a 15" wheel when I asked and the implication was that the 16" rim was a direct replacement. In the end I bought a new rim from BMMiniParts. The tyre was the expensive part.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If you look in the handbook there is a section on the spacesaver tyre and a list of wheel sizes according to each model Zed, for mine 1.9 Sport it lists a 16" .Have to say I was wandering how I'd get on with storing the wheel in the boot and it hasn't really caused any issues, I can still get 3 full bags of groceries in there as before and my handbags, stilletos and wigs over a weekend :)

Tim.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

TitanTim wrote:If you look in the handbook there is a section on the spacesaver tyre and a list of wheel sizes according to each model Zed, for mine 1.9 Sport it lists a 16" .Have to say I was wandering how I'd get on with storing the wheel in the boot and it hasn't really caused any issues, I can still get 3 full bags of groceries in there as before and my handbags, stilletos and wigs over a weekend :)

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

PCSAM wrote:
TitanTim wrote:If you look in the handbook there is a section on the spacesaver tyre and a list of wheel sizes according to each model Zed, for mine 1.9 Sport it lists a 16" .Have to say I was wandering how I'd get on with storing the wheel in the boot and it hasn't really caused any issues, I can still get 3 full bags of groceries in there as before and my handbags, stilletos and wigs over a weekend :)

Tim.
:D

Tim.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

lebigmec wrote:If anyone needs a 16" space saver wheel for a Z3 with a really good tyre & only a very few surface rust spots, I am giving one away free to a good home.
I got Hold of a brand new one for a good price, so my original one (which I only looked at after reading this thread!), needs a home..
I don't want to post it to anywhere, but if someone would like to collect it, it's theirs. I'm in West Norfolk.
Mail me if you want it, first come, first served!
Trayton.
Wheel now gone to a good home, Chiefy collected it from me tonight.. 8-)
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Aye - many thanks for your generous offer Trayton. It was worth the trip over just to see your Zed - a very nice motor indeed.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Cheers Ian, was good to meet you, & hope to see your car too once it's all ship shape.
Trayton
kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kamagloire »

I'm about to get a new set of 4 wheels off ebay which will leave me with the 4 old ones, still with good tyres, so I've decided to keep one in the boot and just live with the smaller space - I'm the only one in the car 90% of the time anyway so there's plenty of carry space around the passenger seat.

Only thing now is if it'll fit, but I have no trouble fitting my Hayabusa motorbike wheel and tyre in there so I'm hoping a 17' 6' wheel will be equally as accommodating. I've only used a spacesaver twice and although grateful for it once it got me back on the move, I couldn't help wishing it was just an ordinary wheel. They are seriously just for getting you home and my journeys are too long to concentrate on the motorway wobble they give out. Get a proper wheel.