Drivers side Wing Mirror fell off

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Drivers side Wing Mirror fell off

Post by jam_boy »

Hi folks,

well I did my road trip from Essex to through France, Switzerland,Austraia and Italy. but the 'best' bit was that my wing mirror fell off driving down to Folkstone enroute to the Channel Tunnel! brilliant I thought! What happend was as we were driving it started wobbling then I noticed that there was a white seal that was perishing literally as we were driving then the mirror fell off, fortunately the electric cable held it to the car . managed to duct tape it on tight enough to last the trip and its still remains like this to this day. It all functions ok but even with my 'superb' colour coded silver duct tape holding it in place I would like to fix this.

Any tips would be much appreciated or any ideas how much this would cost to get repaired?

its a Silver Z3 2.8 facelift model year 2000

Thank you!
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Drivers side Wing Mirror fell off

Post by Jonco »

Hi - both of ours were a problem when we had the doors re-sprayed - supposedly a common fault. Body shop injected a sealant/cement to fix them back in position - needed
~24hrs to fully cure. Have been ok for 2 years now but obviously it's a rigid fix (cheap and quick). I have read a thread somwhere about a fix involving use of studding but can't find it at the moment -think it's on another forum.
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Brilliant, I would be happy with that solution to be honest. Thank you for letting me know. looks like a trip the garage this week then!

Thank you once again! :)
Keefboz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keefboz »

I have the exact same problem, just electrical tape right now holding the mirror on which is a worry.
"Drive it like you stole it.... then pay your tickets"
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

Its time to fit M mirrors ;)
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

had a look on ebay for M mirrors, almost 300 quid! strewth! :shock:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

jam_boy wrote:had a look on ebay for M mirrors, almost 300 quid! strewth! :shock:
Have you priced new mirrors for the Z3 then there is the cost of painting :bawl:
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Jam boy what has actually broke on the mirror? The bolt that runs through the middle with a spring for twisting the mirror is know to corrode.

If this has happened I have a fix for it that is cheaper than a a new mirror.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jam_boy »

Well its hasnt broke exactly, the base is there and actual mirror part and it all works albeit being held on by duct tape, I dont know what holds it on either but am taking it in to to be serviced and MOT'd on Friday. first of all I sent it to halfords but they claim the bonnett was broken and spent 4 hours trying to open it. but when i pull the leaver its loose feels like the cable has snapped. So now having BMW come and collect it, fix that issue and hopefully the wing mirror too. I think that Halfords busted it but have no way of proving that of course.