Parts list CDs ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Parts list CDs ?

Post by Devon Z »

I've seen these parts CDs for sale on Ebay and would like to know how useful are they(up to date/diagrams etc) and which is the best to buy(are there any differences in type).

Many thanks in advance :D

Steve.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I bought a DVD. It cost £10 inc P+P.

It has
a) the full BMW Parts Catalogue. Just put in your chassis number.
b) the maintenance manual.
c) the after-market add-ons. It shows you all the parts needed and how to fit them.
d) the repair times. This is very useful as you know if the dealer is trying to rip you off.
e) a tutorial database from the BMW training school. It shows how to diagnose electrical problems, fuel problems, etc.
f) a very interesting history on some of the new models.

The thing to find out is how old the data is. I haven't got it with me, but I think it only covers models upto around 2000.

The only other thing I've bought is a US edition of the BMW 3 series Haynes Manual (it covers the Z3). About £15 through Amazon.

Between the DVD and the Haynes Manual I've been able to do everything.
Pingu
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Thanks for the info, where did you get your copy from?.

Steve,
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I work away during the week and the previous list was from memory.

Here's what I've got (the source was eBay and it cost me £10.50. I've made improvements - the study notes are now linked within the .pdf document. Before you had to open each document individually - a real pain in the ar$e):

a) ETK ver 1.1.0 dtd 15 Feb 2002, CD ver 03/2002 - this is a parts list
b) TIS ver 3.2.1 dtd 20 Mar 2001, CD ver 10/2001 - this is the technical manual
c) BMW EBA - this is a retrofit database listing many retrofits and the instructions in how to do them
d) KSD ver 10/2000 - this is the labour rates database
e) BMW Technical Information - this is the information that the salesmen need to know before they attempt to sell you the car. It covers the history, all the dimensions, the in-depth detail of every new part to the car. It should contain the answer to every question anyone could ask about that car. You think of a question and the answer should be here. Models covered are the E39 M5, the X5, the Z8, the E46 3 series (incl M and Convertible), the E65 7 series and the Z4.
f) BMW Technicians' Study Notes on
i) Body adjustment
ii) Climate Control
iii) Electronics
iv) On Board Diagnostics
v) Transmission
vi) Chassis Dynamics
vii) Electronic Throttle Control
viii) Engine Electronics
ix) Passive Safety Systems
g) Model Change Information for 1999, 2001 and 2002 - Technical changes are shown, such as the new way to reset the servicing lights using the button on the dash and the key, etc.
h) Sysadm Tool - this is used to link the ETK and TIS, enabling you to look at the same part of the technical publication that relates to the part of the partslist you are looking at - VERY useful.

You can search on eBay, or I'll put it all onto CDs for you, and let you have them for a tenner.
Pingu
ynysmeudwy

blank.gif

Post by ynysmeudwy »

I'd be interested in a copy for a tenner. Can you burn it to DVD.
pingu

M roadster S50

Parts List CDs

Post by pingu »

Can't burn to DVD as I have no DVD writer.

I've just started selling them on eBay and I would appreciate it if people bought them from there rather than buying privately. That way you can leave feedback the world can see!!

These are not just straight rip-offs from other eBay sellers. I feel I've added a lot of value to the package.

Added value:
1. Professional looking labelled CDs.
2. CD wallet.
3. 100% working CDs (all links have been tested and broken links have been corrected, with some new links made). The "Sales" and "Study" CDs were particularly bad as they referenced files that did not exist, for example.
4. Full installation instructions for each CD.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:LC:UK:1

If you are outbid, I will offer them to you on a "second chance offer" for £9.13, so please only bid £7.99.

BTW, when I got the DVD, it was a real problem getting the programs to work. I found the only way to do it was to "go back to basics" and convert it all back to CD.

If you do bid on it, let me know your eBay name.

Cheers, Gaz
Pingu
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Sorry, I can't do the "Buy Now" for £7.99 as I haven't sold enough yet. I think you have to have 10 positive feedbacks before you can use that facility.

What I've offered to do is to post new auctions (same rules apply). First bidder from this forum to bid on the auction for £7.99 and contacts me is GUARANTEED the CD set for £9.13. I will offer the CDs to you as a "2nd chance offer".

If bidders from outside the forum outbid you, then they pay the bid winning price (not you). Don't try to outbid them.

I hope this makes sense.

BTW, payment by cheque is OK, as long as you don't mind the delay while it's cashed.

Gary
Pingu
pingu

M roadster S50

eBay Bids

Post by pingu »

sorry to shout, but

PLEASE DO NOT BID ON EBAY UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO PAY THE BID PRICE.

as stated in messages above, I can only honour the first bidder at £9.13. All other bidders will have to pay the price they bid.

If you want a pack for £9.13, please e-mail me and I will post a new auction and e-mail you the link. As long as you are the first to bid you'll get the pack for £9.13.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not all bad news. I've just bought the 2004 TIS/ETK and that can be included in the package instead of the ones listed if wanted. Those who bid £7.99 will get it free. Anyone willing to pay the price they bid will also get it free.

The new CDs include the X5 and the Z4. Also included is a price list. I will be in touch with the current bidders to ask them if they want the new pack, or the old one.

The old pack is ready now. The new pack will not be available for at least two weeks, as I'm away for a week.

Just for interest, the starting price of the new pack when it's listed will be £10.13 (£8.99 + p&p). I'll let you know when I post it.
Pingu
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

This site is handy, contains all part no's and diagrams that the dealers use:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?PH ... 16eca6803b
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

This site is handy, contains all part no's and diagrams that the dealers use:

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I use this site for ordering parts from dealers:

Russell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Russell »

I bought the set of 10 CDs from Gary (Pingu). I'm very impressed. Its all very professionally packaged, with a slip case included.

I've not used them all yet, but it looks like a bargain... and far better than some of the others that are on offer on eBay!

Thanks Gary.

Russell
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Thanks for the endorsement.

I've finally created a website http://www.coolp.bravehost.com

Sorry about the adverts, but it's the price you have to pay for using a free web host.

Details of the CDs are on the site. 2005 not covered yet.

If anyone wants to buy a pack, just PM me and I'll do an eBay auction for you. REMEMBER to only bid once!!

2002 set = £10.13 (£7.99 + £2.14 p+p) - increased by £1
2004 set = £11.13 (£8.99 + £2.14 p+p) - no change in total price
2005 set = £12.13 (£9.99 + £2.14 p+p) - new listing

edit - I've had to increase the costs as my source for cheap packaging and materials has dried up.

2002 set = 10/2001 TIS, 03/2002 ETK
2004 set = 02/2004 TIS, 01/2004 ETK
2005 set = 08/2004 TIS, 01/2005 ETK

I sell worldwide. All that changes is the p+p. I just sent a pack, by air mail, to Texas for £3.75 p+p. This will be £4.75 after 22/04/05.

Anyone contacting me before 22nd April 2005 will get the discs at the old price.
Last edited by pingu on Sun 17 Apr, 2005 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

pingu wrote:Thanks for the endorsement.

I've finally created a website http://www.coolp.bravehost.com

Sorry about the adverts, but it's the price you have to pay for using a free web host.

Details of the CDs are on the site.

If anyone wants to buy a pack, just PM me and I'll do an eBay auction for you. REMEMBER to only bid once!!

2002 set = £9.13 (£7.99 + £1.14 p+p)
2004 set = £11.13 (£9.99 + £1.14 p+p)

I sell worldwide. All that changes is the p+p. I just sent a pack, by air mail, to Texas for £3.75 p+p (All I charge for is the price of the stamp)

the price will change when the Royal Mail change their pricing structure
the links on page don't work :bawl:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Just tested some random links on the site. They all worked.

If anyone has any problems with the site, please PM me. Just to keep the thread clear of chit-chat.

I'm on narrow-band and I have noticed that the pictures take time to load, but they do appear after about 15 seconds.

I created the pages in Word and then saved them as HTML. I haven't got FrontPage, or similar. Perhaps I need to invest in a dedicated web authoring tool :!: , or swap for a set of discs :)

Any top tips from the web authoring gurus will be most welcome.

Gaz
Pingu
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Looked at your page and links worked ok for me
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Links work in Safari, but not in Firefox...
Simon Taylor
phooto
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

Ah, It don't work in Firefix, me now understand