Engine swap

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Engine swap

Post by fisherb »

So, after my previous and first post, and before I got chance to get my codes read, my 2nd radiator in a month decided to throw all its water on the M62.

Therefore, instead of sorting it out, I've decided to swap the engine.

I've found a 2.8 at a good price with low mileage, so any pointers as to the swap from anyone?? How difficult is it? anything to consider other than the usual?
Last edited by fisherb on Fri 26 Oct, 2012 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Engine swap

Post by Southernboy »

Have you checked the ECU and harness are compatible?? All those related things are important...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

fisherb wrote: I've found a 3.8

Really? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

What car is the 3.8 motor from.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fisherb »

Forgive my lazy spelling, its a 2.8!! Anything else I should be getting from the Z3 its coming out of?
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fisherb »

No, I'm going from a 1.9 to a 2.8
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Good luck with this...i just swapped an engine in a diesel fiesta for one that was the same and everything still needed coding!!! you should start a project thread on here.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The propshaft may be different?? Unless the 4 cyl was positioned to accommodate the same length shaft?? Power steering hoses?? Radiator size?? Alternator brackets / position?? Engine mounts... a few things to look at perhaps.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Would it be right to think that the rest of the car such as suspension, brakes etc would need to be uprated to handle the additional power? The 1.9 is no slouch and so could already have enough to handle it but I'd double check that you don't need to improve the brakes / suspension etc too.

If you really wanted to change the engine then an LS series V8 could be fun! :D :D
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

Dont do it, from 4cyl to 6cyl it would not be so easy.
For example: brakes, Diff, Gearbox, Radiator, Shocks, Driveshaft, ECU, and reprogramming fro 4cyl to 6cyl.
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Can i ask why you want to do it this way, when it would be cheaper to buy a 2.8 and then spen the money on modding it to how you want it.
fisherb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fisherb »

Halfway through now and going well i think. I've not come across any problems yet!

As to why, the radiator went on the 1.9 a couple of times so I'm assuming the head. I could have chnaged this, but with it being such an underpowered poor engine it seemed like throwing good money after bad.

I got everything I need, minus service items for £500. Thats an engine with 68k on it, gearbox, transmission, front subframe, ecu, loom, bigger brakes, suspension and exhaust so hopefully everything will fit. So I calculated with a couple of days work that was my cheaper option than repairing a poor engine, selling the car for less than I have in it and trying to find a 2.8 with a body in such a good a condition as the one I have.
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Makes sense.....hope it all goes well for you :thumb:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

What you had was a known quantity and what you've purchased is a leap in the dark.My guess is you've swapped one set of problems for a different and as yet unknown set of problems.One thing for sure,the guys on this forum will help you.I absolutely love our 1.9,great engine.Wish you luck!
Leadpipelouie

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Leadpipelouie »

Hi,
I did a complete change -check my earlier thread -- but was 2.2 to 2.2
John