Headlamp Level Electrical Adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Chiefy

blank

Headlamp Level Electrical Adjustment

Post by Chiefy »

Today's job is to have a look at why mine isn't working (1998 1.9). Movement of the knurled thumb wheel doesn't appear to do anything. I wouldn't have bothered with it until later on in the project but I notice that it is part of the new MOT rules is if it is fitted it must work. Looking in my Bentley Manual I can't see anything in there about it, not even on the circuit diagrams which seems strange unless I have missed it. I haven't been able to find much info at all on fault finding. As it is on both lights then I suppose both actuator motors could be faulty but it would seem more likely the fault is at the control end so as to affect both. There are two steps on the wheel so I would expect to get two different voltages coming out of the "wheel" and arriving at the actuators - possibly something close to 1 volt at position zero and nearer to 10 volts at position 1. These are just guesses at the mo until I look deeper. Does anyone know a bit more about this system and if there are any components between the thumb wheel and the actuators and are the actuators available if required? Many thanks if anyone has information on this system. If it is the actuator end, as the lenses are in pretty poor condition then is it worth buying replacement lights complete - if so - any best places with reasonable prices that anyone knows of ?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Headlamp Level Electrical Adjustment

Post by colb »

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=63&fg=05

03 HEAD LIGHT VERTICAL AIM CONTROL 2 67168389947 $118.90

realoem shows the unit as No 3 in the diagram can't find any info on how it works from the dashboard switch regarding voltages it should be getting.

Update , just found this old thread may be of help http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... nt#p127611

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Download the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) from the link given in the Knowledgebase. It will have full diagrams of both sides.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... tm#p319732

Link to thread for ETM downloads that Robert just directed us to.
Have a look through it for headlight leveling circuit diagram

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Thanks, Col. I'll get the hang of cut and paste from the phone yet!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Well thanks guys for your help especially on a Sunday. I have been out for an hour fiddling which is a bit difficult with a broken leg and arm. Anyway I have been very lucky - please dont shout when I tell you what it was. I started by partially removing the actuators and moving backwards and forwards to prove that all is connected mechanically and free to move - check. Then with the electrical connections removed, engine running I checked the voltages at the actuators at various positions of the thumb wheel - nothing. Quickly established that the system takes its supply from the lights being fully switched on. Then checked again and got a variation in voltage at each position - identical on both headlamp units. Then when I plugged the connectors back in I could hear a whirring noise. When I bought the car it had been stood in an orchard for many months - everything was green - hood, paintwork and light units especially the headlamp covers. I have cleaned most of the car but not the headlamps - I assumed that most of the opaqueness was caused by crud on the inside which I would get to at a later date. So I had a go with a non abrasive metal polish to find that most of the crud and staining was on the outside and the polish brought the covers up quite well. Then when I switched the dipped headlights on I got a clear horizontal line on my garage wall which I couldn't see before. Now when I tried the beam height adjuster, I could see that it was actually working. I should have arrived there quicker but it is a bit difficult doing this stuff with broken limbs. Feel a bit daft but v pleased that it cost me nothing and now I know how the system works. Thanks again for your replies. Am finding this a very helpful and friendly forum.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

your not daft mate . if it saves somebody else in the same position it was worth it 8-)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Might have been a good idea to give the ball connections a squirt with WD40 and then a squirt of light oil to ensure they swivel ok whilst you were in there, glad you solved it. I checked mine out the other day, just used the switch and watched the beam move on the garage wall, mine were working but I will give them a closer look and lubricate the ball joints in the future.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Forgot that bit - while I had the washer bottle and air box out for access to back of light units I did take the opportunity to have a good spray with WD all round the chassis, anti roll bar, cross member, steering column etc and with the actuators half out was able to lubricate moving parts with silicon etc so all is nice and free. Am really loving working on the Z3 especially with all these bolt on panels etc - can't believe it took me so many years (40) to buy one. I far prefer it to anything I've had so far and that includes a Boxster.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is this really going to be a part of the MOT? Kind of a pain as one of mine is broken so I've just disconnected it. However, I guess that if I fail on offside adjuster not working, I can just swap the good one to the other side for a retest. Maybe!!
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

From the AA Site on MOT's new test for lighting

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Seems this is applicable to HID or LED Headlights and their levelling devices

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Ok, that makes sense. I actually thought it was always a requirement for HIDs to self level. But sounds like it's not a problem for me with regular headlamps.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Just wondering about those last two lines - is that all lighting systems or just special systems that require cleaning and self levelling? I read it as "if it is fitted it must work" but I could be wrong.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Is the headlamps adjustment automatic, or is there a switch in the cab to adjust them.
Sorry to apear dim but first I've heard of auto headlights.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

There's an adjuster control, hidden under the steering wheel