Radiator Hose

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Chiefy

blank

Radiator Hose

Post by Chiefy »

Here's a job I should have done at the same time as the pump, stat, belt etc. Hey ho so I'm doing them now. It's a 1998 1.9 M44 and seem to be finding more US suppliers than Uk ones. Silicon coloured look appealing but can anyone recommend a Uk supplier - for any type really, other than BMW main dealers.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Radiator Hose

Post by Del »

I think you will probably find you have to go BMW main dealer for the hoses – I haven’t seen them sold elsewhere. I was pleasantly surprised when I replaced the MAF bellows on my M44 last year as it was under £20 from a BMW main dealer and yet independent firms were selling them for a lot more (£30+) on ebay.

Out of interest, do you feel yours need replacing? I only ask because I’ve had a good look at my main rad. hoses (1998) and they still look good – they look like decent quality neoprene.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

You could try http://www.bmminiparts.com, these guy supply OEM parts at a cheaper price than your dealer, they have good access to stock but sometimes need to order from Germany.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

No actual leaks yet but I was thinking 14 years old, they ain't gonna last forever. As it happens I do need to replace the MAF flexi as well so think I will head for the Main Dealer for the lot. I promised myself that as I progressed through the rolling resto, that I would wait and replace with good stuff when I could afford it rather than buy cheap, buy twice. When I did the stat, pump, coolant, belt, tensioner, viscous coupling, I should have been sensible and finished the job by doing the hoses as well. That way I would have known it was an area that I wouldn't need to re-visit for a long time. I'm not aiming for a concours car just one that runs and looks like its supposed to and give us years of enjoyment. Out of all the cars I have ever had, it looks like being the most enjoyable, to work on, look at and drive. I'm aiming for this to be a "keeper" convinced that they will be a classic in another 10/15 years. I have a lot more to learn about the Z3 but having had many Classics they need constant attention to prevent them rotting away whereas this seems to be designed in a way that makes long term ownership more viable and enjoyable - ok standfast niggly electronic problems! Sorry got carried a bit there.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Brian H wrote:You could try http://www.bmminiparts.com, these guy supply OEM parts at a cheaper price than your dealer, they have good access to stock but sometimes need to order from Germany.
Thanks for that, I missed your reply while I was replying to Del. I'll give them a look.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Chiefy – understand where you’re coming from – I like to do areas of renovation on mine as well – my Z3 is also a hobby car.

When it comes to the vacuum pipework I did find that to be generally degrading on mine and I have replaced all of it with OE stuff apart from the little pipe at the front joining the TPS to the throttle body – for which I used some generic 50p per metre stuff. The M44 has a tree of 4 vacuum pipes going to each injector (under the inlet manifold) which are fed from the branch off the main MAF bellows. This M44 injector feature is done to aid fuel atomization. On mine, the pipes going to injector 1 & 4 had splits on their underside – difficult to see until pipework removed. Replacement made a noticeable difference – engine smoother and more power.

Best of luck with your renovation – don’t let me distract you from your schedule by waffling on about my vacuum pipework.

:lol:
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Del - thanks for that - really appreciate it. I know lots about many other cars but have much to learn about Z3, so pointers like that are so helpful rather than waiting for things to go wrong. I'll probably move on to that area next while its fresh in my mind.
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

For future reference the main cooling water hoses top, bottom and expansion tank to engine are all about £25 from BMW Main Dealer. The flexi from engine to MAF is just under £20. BMW Coolant is £10 for 1.5 Ltr. All prices inc VAT. They usually give me 10% discount. Prices not bad really. The coolant is concentrated and actually works out cheaper than many supermarkets (ready mixed). I used Prestone from Tescos which has just gone up to £6 a Ltr - ready mixed so actually quite expensive. I also got a few body parts priced up - bonnet £920 - back nearside wing £349 - outer sill (bolt on steel) )139. All prices after VAT, minus discount.