There is some justice in the world.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

There is some justice in the world.

Post by TR4man »

My Z3 is in the bodyshop after being bumped by a third party.

The SOB drove afterwards, but fortunately the place outside where I was parked had CCTV and the manager offered to check it for me when he'd got time.

I heard no more for a week and assumed that I'd have to pay for the repairs myself and had already got some quotes (around £700 for a damaged driver's door and a scrape down the rear wing and corner bumper :cry: )

Around a week ago, I got a call from the manager telling me they'd got the full accident on film and it was possible to read the registration number of the third party and the company's phone number on the side of the van. It had taken him this long because the manager had to get permission from his head office to give me the information.

I contacted the company who owned the van and they did not want to know despite the CCTV footage :head:

Passed it on to my insurance company AXA who've been brilliant so far. The other party has now fully admitted liability and the repairs won't cost me a penny :) My car will be in the bodyshop for around a week and I'm driving a hire Insignia (which is nice, but a little on the boring side)

So a big thank you to the manager of the shop who went out of his way to search through his CCTV and then to convince his head office that I should be given the information in the form of a CD.

Went back yesterday to give him a bottle of scotch as a thank you. :wink:

Regards

Peter
tangomachine

blank

Re: There is some justice in the world.

Post by tangomachine »

Nice to some companies actually use decent cctv. The amount of places I work and all you can see is the vague outline of a car. Usually an eBay special! Loads of people seem to want to spend a fortune on an all singing all dancing DVR recorder so you can view it on your phone etc but use poor cameras
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That is a brilliant story !!
Really good to come across an incident where the culprit gets to face-up... too many of these (unmentionable) get away with their carless behaviour.
I reckon a mention in your local paper would add to the Scotch, and perhaps alert other people to the fact that at least in some areas they need to show consideration to others around them.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I don't want to spoil the fun, but your insurers are likely to increase your premium next year "...because you are the sort of driver that people drive into...". It doesn't matter that you are 100% innocent, they do it anyway. :head:
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I sincerely hope you also reported the perpetrator to the Police as what they did is despicable as well as an offence.

Glad you've got it sorted.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Having recently had the entire car re-painted etc..it's my primary concern that someone will do what that van driver did. It seems that in general, many drivers really don't have any concern for their own vehicle condition and consequently none for anyone else's. Sadly it may be reflective of our " OCD"....but since we do put so much effort into maintaing these old cars, a little acknowledgement by taking care in public parking areas would be welcome from others. I know it's too much to expect, but I would hazard to say, we all take due care and consideration of other people's cars when we're opening doors, driving etc.
Should be a clause in the offender's insurance which makes him liable for any increased premiums on the victim's insurance...that'll get their attention quick enough!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

stu wrote:I sincerely hope you also reported the perpetrator to the Police as what they did is despicable as well as an offence.

Glad you've got it sorted.

I completely agree. Given that they not only drove off but then refused to get involved when you contacted them, I'd be straight onto the Police. That certainly deserves some points.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

motco wrote:I don't want to spoil the fun, but your insurers are likely to increase your premium next year "...because you are the sort of driver that people drive into...". It doesn't matter that you are 100% innocent, they do it anyway. :head:
Yes, I am sure that you are right :( but hopefully with the help of that blasted meerkat, I'll still find a competitive quote.

However, that will be around next July/August and at the moment I'm just happy to be keeping the £700 in my pocket :)

Incidentally when my car was collected by the bodyshop last week, their driver said "nice car, don't see many of these around" and he's right. I can't remember the last time I saw a Z3 and I drive around 600 miles a week.

Regards

Peter
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

I'm incredibly paranoid about parking, so a few years ago, when I parked in a car park in Exeter I was comforted by the fact that there was a "Park Mark" logo outside. Parked on the top floor and noticed that the CCTV camera was pointed at the ticket machine. Returned to my car later, noticed a scrape on the door, apparently caused by a half brick lying nearby. Looked at the CCTV camera, again pointing at the ticket machine.

I emailed the Council, who told me that "the camera does move on a panoramic programme, however the damage must be reported tot he police and they will then request sight of the video." I then asked whether the police were likely to request the video, given that the car wasn't severely damaged, and got the following reply:

"Perhaps not, but this does not help your problem, I might add that even if a person was caught on the video unless it was a known person it would be very hard to trace them. Not much help I am afraid. We do say that in all our car parks you do park at your own risk. "

At that point I gave up.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Actually, as well as report them to the Police, you should start a new thread here with the name of the company that hit you, eg, "Joe Bloggs Plumbers of Anytown hit my car and drove off". That way, when someone googles that company it will probably come up as a search result - I'd get a certain satisfaction from that if it was me.

Similar thing happened to one of the competitors of the company I work at - without too many details, if you google them, one of the top results is a forum post about how they're bad payers etc. Makes me laugh every time.
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

I can't remember the last time I saw a Z3 and I drive around 600 miles a week.
You need to come by Macclesfield if you want to increase your 'Z's' spotted..
There's mine, a red one that parks on bridge street and a purple one that works at the solicitors on bridge street... And that's only in a 100 yard radius...

There is even another 2.8, same year plate and same colour that also works for the council I see when I visit westfields.... Now that did cause me to double take !
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I reckon I see at least one a day (not including my own :D ) if not more, as I drive around 500-600 miles a week around the South of England in my work car. Often see them on motorways too so not just parked up or on local roads.