How to shorten gear stick?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

How to shorten gear stick?

Post by John1950 »

I've tried searching, but couldn't find the appropriate 'How to..' article though I'm sure it's there somewhere.

I'd like to shorten my gear lever and have a new 'weighted' knob if you'll pardon the expression.
When I bought my 2.8 about 18 months ago, it came with a gear knob which simply rotated around. I eventually managed to pull it off the lever and then found out why it was able to rotate - the rubbery substance inside had been snapped. It was now impossible to get the knob to re-seat as there is a slotted end to the lever so I simply put some liquid super glue into the gear knob receptacle and placed it back onto the lever.

This of course now held it all together but I would really like to have a short throw lever and nice knob. However, I would really like some step by step instructions with measurements etc. - an idiot's guide if you will because I'd hate to simply take a hacksaw to the lever and then found I'd done it all wrong.

So lads and lasses, any help please?

Many thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: How to shorten gear stick?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Why didn't you look in the Z3 Knowledgebase for it? Look at http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=15407 for my article - with pictures!

Remember that a lot of weighted knobs such as the Whelan Shift Machine sit about an inch lower on the lever, so producing a shorter throw - it depends on how much you want to spend. For about 50 pence I have a lever with a very short throw, and even if it does not have extra weight it works fine.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Why didn't you look in the Z3 Knowledgebase for it? Look at http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=15407 for my article - with pictures!

Remember that a lot of weighted knobs such as the Whelan Shift Machine sit about an inch lower on the lever, so producing a shorter throw - it depends on how much you want to spend. For about 50 pence I have a lever with a very short throw, and even if it does not have extra weight it works fine.

Hi Mick

I was fairly certain I had read something by you some time ago. I did look in the knowledge base, I'm always aware that articles usually are lurking and the moderators get pretty fed up with gormless questions. Still, I searched, 'short gear stick' and variations. I ended up with lots of messages which had one, two or all of the words, but not a complete article so I took the plunge to ask.

So, must go over yours in detail again. It should give me a winter project.

Many thanks
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Now be gentle with me and I know I'm probably being a bit thick here, but I remember this article and thinking that's a lot of work just to get a shorter throw.

Is the only reason that you recommend doing it this way to preserve the fitting fork/split at the top of the lever? Coz otherwise I can't fathom how just taking an inch or so off the top without removing anything else wouldn't do the same job?

I must be missing something here?
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

am i the only one who looks at the photo and thinks the gear knob looks very odd to the point of being ugly? each to their own but for me the zed is all about beauty so why make something ugly and put it in the cockpit where you have to handle the thing every time you drive.I'm not objecting to a shorter gear stick but please,make it look as though it belongs in the car and not something you picked up at a car boot !