£1k Z3 story on PH

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Renaud

M roadster S54

£1k Z3 story on PH

Post by Renaud »

Hello All,

I suspect a lot of you will of already seen the thread/story on piston heads, but thought I would stick it on the forum for those that haven't.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=26796

Some interesting comments mixed with the usual stereotypical stuff.

Rgds

R.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: £1k Z3 story on PH

Post by Pierrick »

I am one of those who didn't see this article!

At 1200£ (including VAT) it's a great price, no doubt, but at more than 124000 miles it probably won't be long before a little something set you back a few hundred quid... and compting!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

There isn't vat on used cars (except under very few circumstances).
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

So far, there are 192 comments on the story on PH, a large percentage of them have the usual stereotype comments about Z'ds :head:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The comments aren't that bad. The VAT issue seems to be of more interest than Z-bashing.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

I would have thought that at that price it's worth buying for spares.
The roof looks new by the way.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

BladeRunner919 wrote:There isn't vat on used cars (except under very few circumstances).
Don't know anything about VAT but on the advert it says 999£ + VAT.

Anyway, its only 200£....
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I doubt if the James Bond franchise had anyhting to do with the sell-out of early Z3 production - the trouble is that motoring writers simply cannot bring themselves to admit that there may - just - be something about he Z3 which attracted buyers!

People could have bought either an MX-5 or an MGF for a little less money, but the Z3 offered a better standard of equipment, and sensibly-priced options. The prices for an MGF with leather interior, 16 inch whels, or a chromed ashtray lid made one's eyes water! With things such as power steering, ABS, Traction control and LSD as standard in most markets, sensible prices for 17 inch wheels and leather interior, ther was no question that the Z3 would sell well. It handles well too . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
orange

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by orange »

Thanks for posting this Renaud, not seen it.
It's strange how many people form opinions about cars they've never driven. I've loved my 10 month ownership and 10,000 miles in my 2.8. She puts a smile on my face whenever we pop out.
Fair play the gearbox is a tad grunchy and needs to be very precise in lower gears, but when it goes well (more my fault than the car) it's stunning. Naw, offer me an MX5 or a MGF as a swap and I'd tell you where to get off :-) She's a keeper in my opinion....twist around a slow corner and plant the right foot = big smile. What's not to like?
Also, I think she looks beautiful. Mebbe the mizzarses on the PH forum believed their Dads when they were told that the E-Type was just a funny looking Gourd :roll:

It's kinda nice to have opinions formed by what you have experienced.

dave..
smc2402

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by smc2402 »

I read that PH article. Brought my 3.0 earlier in the year for £ 2.4k, it's done 114k, but it's the best 2nd car I have had, and I have had a few ( Mx5, MGF's, Boxster S, Corvette etc .. ) I have to say that the BMW is so much fun, it's clutch is a little high and on the way out in the next few k's, but in 3k miles it's never put a foot wrong. Even started it up this morning, covered in ice and not used for a week .... It's a keeper ! Well .... if they did the Z3m with the facelifted rear lights then I'd consider an M. The best thing, nothing costs a lot of money, and it's reasonably DIY freindly, I've done a few jobs !
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My mechanic has a couple of clients with MX5's, he owns a Boxter S with about 5k on the clock - he bought it new 2008 - His opinion...you get better handling in an MX5, but it's overpriced relative to what you get in terms of durability, ride comfort, quality finishes etc. He bought the Boxter as an investment in 2008, and as we all know, the world economy went pop thereabouts...so he's not impressed. His other consideration at the time was the BMW Z4 M Coupe, and the deciding factor was the prospect of selling on at a profit.
Whenever I take my car to him, he always does a "test drive" even after he reset the airbag light... :D ...Reckons the Z3 is a great driving experience because it demands your attention, unlike the Porsche, which is so computer controlled in "normal" mode, it would take a complete fluke to screw-up.
Also, if anyone thinks the Zed ia a tad "girly"...one doesn't have to look further than the MX or the MG for confirmation that it's anything but. I'm really not surprised that some people believe the Z3 isn't a great car, they probably also believe the world will end on the 21st of Dec. ('kin hope it doesn't...it's my birthday on the 22nd... :shock: ) :D
....and if anyone is in doubt...(new conspiracy theory.. :wink: ) the Z was inspired by "alien tech"...read any 50's comic...."Zap" was a favourite word!!! ....as was "Zloot, Zoom, and Zork"
Zap is what MX drivers experience when being overtaken by a Z
Zloot is what they experience when you nab the parking bay ahead of them
Zork...well we all know that's the name given to MX drivers.... :D

and now it's Zzzzzzz time - again!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:they probably also believe the world will end on the 21st of Dec. ('kin hope it doesn't...it's my birthday on the 22nd... :shock: )
Same birthday as my sister. That's not you is it Pippa?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hey Blade...."talk to the hand"...... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Southernboy wrote:they probably also believe the world will end on the 21st of Dec. ('kin hope it doesn't...it's my birthday on the 22nd... :shock: )
Same birthday as my sister. That's not you is it Pippa?
:shock: Image :shock:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

:roflmao:
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Trust me, the Z slagging isn't as bad as it was.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority