Service light reset is this correct

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Service light reset is this correct

Post by kp »

Hi there could someone tell me if this is the correct way to reset device lights do the put one end of the wire in number 7 and the other end in 1 or 1 end in number 7 and connect the other end to an earth,does this apply to all zed 3 ...thanks :?:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Service light reset is this correct

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I bought a little reset tool on ebay (probably made in a shed somewhere in China) that cost around £6.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Pin 7 to earth for a few seconds.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kp »

Thanks guys have tried this I made sure it was in number 7 and doubled checked and made a good earth but then turn ignition on to the second one till lights appeared left it for about 20 seconds but it didn't reset it for some reason
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Use a long wire and earth it inside the cabin. You don't have to keep getting in and out.
Pingu
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

It didnt work for me either until I used a large paper clip, i put one end of the paper clip into pin 7 and the other end in to pin 19 (earth), worked a charm on the 15pin diagnostics socket under the bonnet.

see http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 12#p338258
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by si-forks »

Will have to try this the weekend ;-)

Si-forks on tapatalk
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you are leaving pin 7 earthed until the ignition is turned off you will not reset anything. The procedure is:

Remove cap from data link socket.

Earth pin 7 permanently - or have an assistant hold the wire between pins 7 and earth for you. It is essential that the wire be really well connected at each end as even a small amount of resistance will not pass enough currrent to operate the reset logic circuit. I use a large clip on one end of the wire, and a suitable connector on the other, but if you have an assistant they can apply some pressure to the wire ends.

A suitable alternative is a piece of 2.5 mm household socket wire, with the bared end folded back on itself, and pin 19 used as an earth, but again, it needs to be a very good connection.

Then turn the ignition on.

After a minimum of 3 seconds (cancel SI lights) or 11 seconds (cancel SI lights and clock symbol) - I can never remember the periods, but it's about that - remove the earth wire. The system reset occurs on removal of the earth while the ignition is still turned on.

Now switch off the ignition, and replace the cap on the data link socket.

Turn on ignition, and you should see 5 green lights - and no clock symbol if the earthing period has been long enough.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!