Dallan`s Wheels

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dallan`s Wheels

Post by huntert »

I was going through the photos on the meet/cruise thread and i saw a car and the wheels on it are great..i was wondering if anyone on here knew what they are. i think the owner of the car is called Dallan..................
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Dallan`s Wheels

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Can you link to the photo?
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Found this thread.............any info would be great

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=35628
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Found the info......

Front DARE RS (17" x8.5J) ET15 wrapped in 205/40/17"
Rear DARE RS (17" x10J) ET20 wrapped in 225/45/17"
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Nice Looking wheel. Similar to BBS LM, those offsets are quite radical.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

If anyone has any questions, you are welcome to call me regarding this :)
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I was always under the impression that anything protruding from the wheel arch was illegal. As with a lot of things it seems to be open to interpretation and if the police need an excuse to police it. The other consideration is insurance ....again a lot of uncertainty but I take the view that anything which significantly varies from OEM AND is directly safety related could give the insurance co all the excuse they need not to pay out on a significant claim. Some may be prepared to take the risk but don't realise how big that risk could be ie personal injury claim or the value of any car you may hit :!:

Those offsets are significantly lower than OEM creating in my view more than a little extension from the wheel arch and risk to pedestrians / cyclists etc :?:

Nice pics but those wheel sizes are just not for me. If others are tempted just make sure you are aware of any potential downsides :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

My understanding is its only illegal if the tread on the tyre protudes, its ok for the wheel though? That's how this whole 'stretch' fad come about I believe
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

True

[DT_Photography] 07712 415 619.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Like I said open to interpretation, how far do you take your logic for pertrusion before it is considered dangerous by the police under normal road traffic laws ?

The offset on those wheels would be the wrong side of that grey area for me so I personally would never fit them.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Hahaha!! That's because you have a car worth a lot more money with a lot more speed.

These wheels are currently off my car and being used as a coffee table until March.

As mentioned previously over MANY threads, I drive this car 1000 miles a year at MAX. I have infact covered 46 miles since October.

These wheels have cleared a legit MOT and I have been stopped by the police due to no reg plate. They said my wheels are fine (regardless of different laws) and let me off of the reg plate problem because he liked my car hahahahah!!

Life is good.

[DT_Photography] 07712 415 619.
Dallan |07712 415 619

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If the wheels go outside the arch isn't that an MOT failure? :rtm: :|

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The MoT does not worry about protruding wheels - but I bet there is a requirement in the Contruction and Use Regs requiring the wheel /tread area to be within the bodywork. These regs are however not enforced by the police unless they feel like it. In many cases, the DfT say one thing, and the VOSA say another - look at the different regs on HID lights as an example. This helps no-one except the sellers.

Way back in 1964 the original 1071 cc Cooper S had wheels which protruded beyond the body panels, but legality was maintained by the plastic finishing strip fitted over the body seams between and around the wheel arches of a Mini.

As with the Motor Vehicle Llighting Regs, which are ignored by many people, the Construction and Use Regs need updating and enforcement - pity the UK does not have a Type Approval system such as the German TuV.

I bet a Z3 with wheels of this offset would be a real handful on a badly-surfaced road - but obviously those who put fashion above function do not care.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Come on Mike, don't beat about the bush now! :twisted:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Bonzo wrote:Come on Mike, don't beat about the bush now! :twisted:

Fashion over function?

Buy a bloody Renault espace and let me crack on drinking my manly wine!!!

Hahahahahha
Dallan |07712 415 619

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

dallantan wrote:
Bonzo wrote:Come on Mike, don't beat about the bush now! :twisted:

Fashion over function?

Buy a bloody Renault espace and let me crack on drinking my manly wine!!!

Hahahahahha
good stuff :D

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3LINCS

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3LINCS »

fight fight fight lol :P
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

I thought the function of a wheel was to rotate upon an axel thus allowing the car to move. Those wheels definitely look like they could achieve that function and still look great.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Hahahaha!!!!!

Yes hunter!!!!!! Lol.
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Trust this debate to have my name in the title lol
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

I wish i could drive without numberplate's and wronguns also :D but i bet within 20 mis of doing so id be in the back of a van with a cadge in it :shock:
that what living next to a police training collage :? gets you . lots of times they let the probationers (thats a rookie cop) out with a local cop . and they have a ball pulling cars over with pvt plates .and when they do they also go over it a fine tooth comb looking for faults .... they have to learn somehow . I was told once . :shock:
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

I dont think anyone that buys a Z3 buys it for functionality. Its not the fastest, the most fuel efficient, the best handling, the most spacious or even the most modern...but there is something about them that we like, but its definitely not functionality. So to criticise about functionality really is a bit of a pointless argument......
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If it's the training college I'm thinking of, PCSAM, then all you have to do is turn up in a suit and the cadets practically salute you. They had also been told to address anyone in a suit as 'Sir', and that they cannot simply walk past in the corridor without speaking. You can imagine my embarassment when I dived to the lav during a break in a course I was giving, just as they came out of a lecture. All I wanted was the bog and I nearly got 'Sir'ed to death! Not sure a suit will save you from a fine for having no numberplate, but it may call upon some suppressed memory of their training. :lol:

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The CE mark must be the most debased mark there is! Anyone can use it, even if their products are useless - such as headlamp bulbs which allegedly meet EC standars, yet just produce glare.

In Germany the TuV would refuse to stamp your Registration Document if they were not happy that whatever change you wish to make is proven as being safe - such as oversize tyres and wheels. Even if the wheels carry the mark of TuV approval, that does not mean they can be fitted to any car on a cosmetic basis. It's the same in France, where the Reg Document lists the size of tyres and wheels. Any deviation can result in a fine if picked up during a random check.

And yes - the Z3 Is practical, so long as you do not want to carry more than two people. It has good fuel consumption, handles well, and even today still has decent performance. To hear some owners speak one could be forgiven for thinking that we own them simply as a 'look at me' exercise . . . .

If you want to see a not-so--practical sports car, look at a Lotus 7 or a Morgan - even the MX-5 has only a tiny boot, which contains the spare wheel.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

The Z3 may have had acceptable fuel consumption when it was built but the figures are poor by modern standards.Surely,nobody buys one believing the zed offers good fuel economy?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

geminimustang wrote:The Z3 may have had acceptable fuel consumption when it was built but the figures are poor by modern standards.Surely,nobody buys one believing the zed offers good fuel economy?
especially if you move up from a 1.9 to 3.0i :shock: not good fuel consumption on the 3.0i as I cant stop opening her up a little when i can :D I call it SPG -----smiles per gallon ..
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

And it is all about "look at me"...just be honest...if you wanted to go un noticed in a soft top there are loads more practical cars to choose from..like a 3 series...or a golf, both would be miles more practical but dont have the "look at me" factor
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I don't know...I just wanted a multicylinder engine with a sweet sound and no roof. That it came with a Z3 body around it was almost incidental. Probably other alternatives, but buying price and smiles per mile as PSCAM puts it made it a good choice for me. I don't imagine many people look at me enviously when driving it, as many people these days are more impressed by a current number plate, so would be more impressed by a 62 reg small hatchback. :roll:
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

When i was looking at buying a project car..it was either the Z3 or a pug 205 cti, the Z3 won because it looks better...simples
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

TuV

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Sorry to wander off-topic, but the TuV is more than just a giver of approval stickers - if, for example, you live in Germany and wish to fit a 110-90 X 18 rear tyre to a BMW twin (in place of the original 4.00 X 18 tyre) you have to seek approval from the local TuV office, who in such cases of minorand proven modifications will then note it in the vehicle registration document. In the same way, if you want to fit a later, 1000 CC, engine in place of the old 600 cc engine of your BMW R60 (popular with sidecar enthusiasts in Germany) the TuV will not approve the conversion unless you have welded bracing pieces to strengthen the rear suspension swinging arm pivot. They will supply detailed drawings of what is required, and are generally helpful.

In the same way, certain tyres are approved for certain motorcycles, which avoids problems with incompatable tyre characteristics, such as I experienced on a BMW K100 when using Dunlop radials - a change to Bridgestones returned handling to usual levels. It turned out that the type of Dunlop I had been sold was correct, the exact variant I had been sold was not approved for the bike, and it produced a riding experience I could have done without!

They do all this - and more - to protect people from their own folly, and are not swayed by cosmetic or fashion considerations. Mind you, how the followers of the stretched tyre fashion stay legally on the road defeats me!