Seat belt replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Seat belt replacement

Post by z3steve »

Hi all!

Been meaning to replace my drivers side seatbelt as it doesnt retract very well. I have a replacement, started to take it to bits but then thought better of it. Has anyone done this before and what do I need to remove to replace it?

Thanks as always

Steve
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Seat belt replacement

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You need to take out the central cubby box behind the seats (which involves loosening the console between the seats), which gives access to the side pods that cover the seatbelt mechanism. If you have roll hoops (I don't) I assume they may come into play.
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Yeah mines got the hoops. Didn't think it would be quite as involved as it sounds!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As above but remove the hoops first. To do so, remove the cut-outs in the tops of the seatbelt turrets and storage box liner first, then there are three Torx bolts for the hoops either side, two via the seatbelt turret and one via the storage box liner. You can then remove the centre part of the storage box, which will give you access to the inboard screws for the seatbelt turret covers, which you will then be able to remove to access the seatbelt reels. For instructions, have a look at the Rollhoop Installation thread in the knowledgebase - you are essentially following the last steps of the installation instructions in reverse. It is not difficult, just time-consuming.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

That's great, thanks Robert. Will have to wait for a non rainy day, which doesn't look likely for the foreseeable future!

Cheers,

Steve
weedram

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by weedram »

Hi Steve
Hope you don't mind me asking
Did you buy a brand new belt, if so, where from and what did it cost?

Regards
Phil
ImageImageImageImage
One Life - Zed it
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Hi Phil, no I just got it from a breakers - apparently its in perfect working order! Cost me a tenner. I have no idea what they are new so cant help there, sorry

Regards, Steve
weedram

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by weedram »

Hi Steve
Thanks for that. It would be worth checking your seat belt for friction burn marks, which show as a smooth area across the weave of the fabric, this would indicate that the belt has been in use in an accident. If that it the case I wouldn't use it as the belt will have been weakened.
Hope that helps

Phil
ImageImageImageImage
One Life - Zed it