Fogg performance air intake mod

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Fogg performance air intake mod

Post by Del »

Anybody have any first-hand experience of this so called “Shawn Fogg” air intake modification which is supposed to be simple/cheap, uses the original OE filter box & filter but alleges slight performance gains? I’ve seen it mentioned once or twice in connection with the 1.9 M44 engine, but other engines as well. It seems to crop up in a few USA influenced BMW forums?

:puzzle:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Fogg performance air intake mod

Post by Robert T »

Try this thread for starters: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=19867

I just searched for "fogging" on here.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

I've seen the threads which takes a ram mounted flexi hose from the front of the car and feeds it into the standard filter box.

The threads claim better response etc. but I don't think I have seen anything on here that implies anyone has done it.

I would be concerned that this mod came from a dry state and wouldn't be suitable for our wet climate?

Anyone done this mod?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Take a look at this - about the cold air intake I made from 70 mm Tesco rainwater pipe

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8918

Although the benefits are more apparent on the larger engines running at higher speeds on larger thottle openings, I am sure that it gave a small but definite improvement all round. The original convoluted air intake path ignores the basic laws of motion, expecting most of the air to reverse its path in order to find a way to the filter, so it must be a Good Thing in any circumstance, and particularly at higher speeds and throttle openings.

The use of a rigid air pipe provides an intake path which is free from the unevenness of a flexible pipe, each convolution of which sets up turbulence and losses along its length.

It does not have to involve cutting the air box, as its function id simply to supply a greater quantity of air at the intake to the airbox, although I think this winter I will open up the airbox inlet to 70 mm, and perhaps make a new air pipe, as the French use 90 mm pipe.

What I did do was to remove the half of the inlet horn facing the filter element, to enhance air flow across the entire filter, but if you do not wish to do so, it is not compulsory.

As the air pipe does not plug intothe air box, any deep water entering the pipe will be dispersed around the back of the headlamp.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Mon 24 Dec, 2012 13:04, edited 3 times in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

I think Zedonist fitted a fog box and I expect he'll be along shortly.
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Mike F

In your post you refer to another option which would be to remove the NSF fog light - have I read this correctly and if yes would you expect this to help significantly with airflow alone?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Thanks to the pointers to previous threads covering this.

I noticed, when I stripped out the plastic cover above my radiator to change the thermostat last year, that the air feed pipe to the filter box looked quite degraded. It’s a lengthy mesh type pipe covered in a thin layer of foam which is in turn covered with a thin plastic layer. The foam and plastic were degraded with the latter flaking apart. It’s also fiddly to reconnect without leaving gaps and as Mike says, is a rather convoluted way to feed air to the filter box. It doesn’t look like the best bit of engineering design on the car and could definitely be improved.

The M44 engine filter box has a separate air temperature sensor attached to it whereas on the more modern M43 engines this sensor is an integrated part of the MAF sensor. Therefore, I am not clear in my mind how one could fit one of these K&N type filters to the M44 engine whilst still catering for the air temperature sensor. Simply improving air flow to the OE filter box therefore, seems a sensible tweak and something which the insurers shouldn’t get too twitchy about.

If I read one of Zedonist’s recent posts correctly, he is currently on “amber alert” to make a dash to the nearest maternity ward.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Zedonist,a man after my own heart, his wife about to give birth and he's on the forum advising about fog boxes.Respect with a big 'R'.Hope the birth goes well,Rich,congratulations on no: 4 or 5,I've lost count.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

This thread is useless without pics lol

not really needed :shock:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Spiky - yes, if the foglamp were replaced by an air intake, this would enable a really good intake to be provided, with a larger funnel-shaped intake feeding a large pipe, so improving the ram effect. The problme is that it would look odd, even with a matching intake on the other side feeding cold air to the exhaust side of the engine. Fine and functional on a race car, but not on a roadie.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Mon 24 Dec, 2012 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Congratulations,clever baby,keeping Birthday and Xmas as two separate days so mum and dad can't kid him,forgive the pun,on number of presents he receives.Hope Mum is doing well,many sleepless nights ahead !!!
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

congrats mate . mum and baby fine I hope . may I wish you good health to enjoy your newborn ..........
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Congrats to you and your wife....and the littl'un. :thumb:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Congratulations to you and your wife :D :D
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Rich,have you thought of a boot rack modified to take a rear facing child seat? That would keep jr occupied and quiet for a little while.No spirited driving,mind.You may have to inform your Insurance that the zed had become a 3 seater with a tiny increase in the premium.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

geminimustang wrote:Rich,have you thought of a boot rack modified to take a rear facing child seat? That would keep jr occupied and quiet for a little while.No spirited driving,mind.You may have to inform your Insurance that the zed had become a 3 seater with a tiny increase in the premium.
It's been done before. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Q-xbyIsEk

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Almost exactly what I had in mind! I was thinking rear facing in order to keep the wind out of the baby's face.What a brilliant video,thank you,Frank,enjoyed that.