Top Gear special

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Top Gear special

Post by freds dad »

On Dave now with a Z3 involved.

I know it's been on before but it's always good to see a Zed on telly.
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Top Gear special

Post by si-forks »

Even if they hated it :sad:

Si-forks on tapatalk
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Every one seems to hate Z3s apart from those who have one. Still I like mine, so I don't care what others think.
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by si-forks »

Don't get me wrong i love my Z and I've got the bottom of the range early 1.9 with no spec at all lol

Si-forks on tapatalk
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Oh I get what you mean Si forks. It just seems fashionable to slate the Z3 on Top Gear and similar on Pistonheads, however I also don't see the point trying to 'convince' the detractors either (though it might help resale prices I suppose on the outside chance that it worked). We've chosen them as they suit what we require, so let's just enjoy them. :)
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The opinions of Pistonheads members are about are important as those of the Top Gear audience - most have never driven a Z3, and probably drive boring family cars. They therefore criticise the Z3 because it is the type of car they secretly would like - if their wives would let them! They therefore love hearing the opinions of J Clarkson and his clones, and parrot these to anyone who will listen - usually other Top Gear disciples.

I bet a passenger ride in a 750 Racing Club Z3 Challenge car would make them change their minds - and their underwear!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Oh dear...it's not that I want to get into an argument about how good Z3s are as of course I own one myself. However, the Pistonhead threads I'm thinking of typically compare the Z3 with the MX5 or Porsche Boxster so hardly 'family cars'. I'm sure there are plenty of 'keyboard warriors' that aren't even old enough to have a licence, but to be fair the ones with far more accomplished cars that ours probably do have a point.

Before I bought my Z3 I bought a book of road tests that is just a collection of magazine reprints from when the Z3 was current. There isn't one road test where the Z3 came out top, but I'm not bothered: I didn't want an MX5 as it's only a 4 cylinder engine and I'm not that keen on the looks. The Boxster did appeal, but my price/age range meant I'd have potential expensive engine failure issues. I also thought that a Porsche left parked outside would attract unwanted attention and possibly even get keyed or otherwise damaged for being a bit too 'flashy' as my garage is in use with my RS2000, otherwise I may have considered other options such as a TVR. I can accept that my Z3 doesn't handle as well as my mate's VX220 (which was fantastic when we took it on a trackday), but my Z3 is lot more comfortable on public roads, so it's all part of what suits me when I chose a car.

It's something that always seems to happen on one make forums: Becoming convinced that there is no better alternative because the decision suited our needs. They are cheap, fun and seemingly well built little sports cars, but I'm under no illusion that there are better cars out there, but circumstances meant that for me it seemed a good compromise. Which brings me back to my previous post: Instead of trying to change the opinions of others, just enjoy the car for what it is.
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

Well said - we should enjoy what we all have and don't take any notice of people who's own personal choice is different from our own.

Afterall we all know a Z is for keeps once you adopt one! :) :)
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I was watching 24 series 4 and spotted a silver z3 parked up at the side of the road. They might not be everyones cup of tea but i wouldnt swap ours for any thing else at the moment. Mainly due to there are not many 2 seater sports that can compare with the 3.0 both performance or economy. Its quicker than the Nissan Z the Boxter 2.7 same as the 3.2 but better economy quicker than the 350 slk and most of the others around the same price range dont even come close. Well it is after a remap for £250 The Z4 3.0 is the same nothing matches them when you really look into the fact and figures.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

I watched it to,and yes they did slate it BUT it did make it to the end
We looked at the mx5,good car but rust is the big problem in my opinion
Also went out in an mgf total crap
Tried a Z3 and both loved it,it felt solid,well built,engine pulled like a train and sounded awesome over 3000 rpm
We had an e36,e46,e91 and now an X1 x,drive along with the z and all have been totally reliable and a joy to own and drive
You have to draw your own conclusions as to what's good or bad out there,if we all listened to others we wouldn't do anything,
I also feel the Z3 is a hell of a car for the money and even better if you wait for the right one to come along,they are out there with low miles and good history :P
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

If anyone feels depressed because of this top gear episode, I suggest you have a look at an older top gear episode from the time when the zedi was current :dunce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q5SVHpN_CU
O_7777 :drive:
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

"They are cheap, fun and seemingly well built little sports cars, but I'm under no illusion that there are better cars out there, but circumstances meant that for me it seemed a good compromise. Which brings me back to my previous post: Instead of trying to change the opinions of others, just enjoy the car for what it is".
I couldnt agree more with this. I've got a 1.9, and am lucky enough to be in a position where insurance and running costs, within reason aren't really an issue. I tried a Boxster but found it a bit bland, but only because it had loads of power and handled so well, it was a fabulous car. I tried a couple of MX5's, Mk 2 and 3, and the 3 was dynamically much better than the Z. The Z3 for me does it because of the looks,its sound's good with a sports pipe, it's cheap enough to use and not worry about, and dropping the top and pottering about on summers evenings is great fun.
I've had several bikes in the past that had way more performance than can be regularly used if you value your licence at all, but at anything like normal roadspeeds were'nt all that fulfilling to own, were uncomfortable and undemanding. As with bikes, the opinions of others don't really count either. The amount of people who find out you've got a bike and then name the latest model of superbike, saying they want one, and giving an opinion on yours, and it then transpires they have'nt got a bike licence, and have no idea that the performance of those things is really like (completly incomparrable with any normal roadcar), is much the same, but for me the most performance does'nt necessarily equate to the most fun :)