Soft top not working - now fixed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Soft top not working - now fixed

Post by Brian4 »

Last Sunday I thought I would go out as it was a nice day so got ready, started car, got roof ready and pressed lower button - nothing. tried again checked brake was on checked roof switch was operated still nothing.

Checked all fuses as you do so I then got the wiring diagram out and started checking circuits. I had lowered the roof manually by this time to see if it would come back up but nothing, but whilst I was sat in the car with the boot open I looked back and noticed I had no brake lights and sure enough the switch had an intermittent fault on it. I had passed the MOT 2 weeks before.

Anyway I have replaced the switch from Euro car parts and all is ok again so if your roof won't lower check first you have brake lights before you delve any deeper and save wasting a day.

There was also a gearbox fault showing and the brake switch is wired through the 2 computers along with the gearbox so I left the battery disconnected, whilst waiting for the switch, and all faults have been reset so will be out next sunnyish day.

Brian
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Soft top not working - now fixed

Post by Frank.A »

The instruction manual states you should operate roof with the engine running to ease the load on the battery.What I have experienced is the roof won't operate without the engine running due to the brake pedal not operating the brake light switch.This is due to the extra movement of the pedal when the servo is evacuated with engine running. :roll:
This could be worth checking if the roof fails to operate, engine off.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!