2.8 brake upgrade to fit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

2.8 brake upgrade to fit

Post by Lewy »

Hi all, quite new here, joined late last year and then went quiet as my 645 still hadn't sold, anyway, it's finally gone and I'm ready to start the Z3 project 'proper'.

First thing I'm doing is the wheels which I have these on a provisional order - just waiting for some more spec on inner clearance etc.
Assuming I'll have only 16" inner clearance (deep dish wheels are stepped meaning 17" rims will only give me 16" brake clearance), what brakes would you guys go for? I find the 2.8 brakes massively lacking, I am a late braker at times when I'm having a bit of fun but even under conservative driving, they aint that great so they definitely need improving. In addition to this, there will be some speed upgrades and so the brakes need to be good enough to handle that.

Be great to hear of people's experiences / thoughts here.

Thanks,

Lewy
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 2.8 brake upgrade to fit

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The standard 288 mm brakes on a 2.8 are as good as the type of pads - I find EBC Redtuff all round are fine, but I do not have a death wish!

Otherwise, the brakes from a 3 litre Z3 (E46 328 etc) will fit - all you need are the discs and caliper brackets - the calipers are the same.

M3 brakes will also fit, but you need more bits and pieces, and ideally the master cylinder and servo to match - it depends on how badly you think you need better brakes.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thank you for the info Mike, sounds like M3 / Z3M brakes might be a good option - I assume Z3M uses the same brakes?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - the E36 parts bin will work nicely, but make sure you appreciate the range of bits you will need. A simle caliper and disc change will probbaly leave you with a lot of pedal travel - hence the need for a matching master cylinder and servo.

Frankly, you will never exploit the full power of the M3 brakes on the road, where 300 mm is more than enough.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

As you say, the 300 mm E46 discs will fit easily with no problems. All you need are the caliper brackets, to move the caliper outwards, and matching larger pads.

I intended to do this, but living in France I could only try FAB Dismantlers, who only selll the brackets with calipers - for £150 each! I can buy new reconditioned calipers (by Borg & Beck or Girling) for £52 each at GSF, so this price (for calipers of unknown pedigree) was pretty ridiculous. FAB obviously think their customers have more money than sense. With new discs (Zimmermann drilled from GSF at £95 a pair) and EBC Redstuff pads they are however very good.

Some people have fitted M3 front brakes withthe standard master cylinder, but if the disc or pads becomes a little out of true due to normal wear, the standard MS cannot provide enough fluid to fully move the larger caliper piston.

Unless you can get all the bits necessary - in good condition - for sensible money my advice would be to just make sure the standard 288 mm brakes are working as well as possible - you will not be disappointed.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - they are only bits of cast iron - just clean and paint.

The number you quote - 34 10 6 758 104 - is for the 286 X 22 disc used on the 2.8, so you have toi watch Ebay sellers like a hawk - many do not know and do not care what they are selling.

My ETK parts list has two numbers for the 3 litre model - 34 and 34 11 1 165 035 (up to 08/02) superceded by 34 10 6 758 120 also used on the Z4.

As the first number covers virtually all 3 litre Z3 production I would go for that.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Some really helpful info there Mike, many thanks :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Unless you can get all the bits necessary - in good condition - for sensible money my advice would be to just make sure the standard 288 mm brakes are working as well as possible - you will not be disappointed.
Aren't the standard 6 cylinder discs 286mm? Not as 2mm makes a lot of difference :wink:

I found quite a big improvement going from 286mm to 300mm brakes, and 16" wheels will clear the 300mm discs fine.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal