snow socks

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
tangomachine

blank

snow socks

Post by tangomachine »

Has anyone used snow socks or snow chains (whatever you call them these days) on a z3. Only use the car when essential in this weather and because of the layout of my road I can't get back outside my house and I don't like leaving it too far away incase it gets vandalised.

Would these work just to get me the last 30m from the main road to save me buying a spare set of wheels and winter tyres? Eventually my z star wheels will be for winter when I get a good set for summer so it's just for piece of mind really
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: snow socks

Post by TitanTim »

tangomachine wrote:Has anyone used snow socks or snow chains (whatever you call them these days) on a z3. Only use the car when essential in this weather and because of the layout of my road I can't get back outside my house and I don't like leaving it too far away incase it gets vandalised.

Would these work just to get me the last 30m from the main road to save me buying a spare set of wheels and winter tyres? Eventually my z star wheels will be for winter when I get a good set for summer so it's just for piece of mind really
Yes they are, I used them on my previous 1 Series, but it depends on the size of your wheel and whether you have the sport lowered suspension. Reason I say this is they can be a biatch to fit if you have the sport suspension as the clearance to get your hands inside the arch to get the sock around the back of the tyre can be a pain literally if you have large hands, made worse in freezing weather etc. Remember you will need to fit the 4 socks not just on the driven wheels. The big disadvantage of them is you have to remove them once you get to clear tarmac as they will wear in next to no time.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

thanks I was a bit skeptical when it says can be fitted in 2minutes! Mines a pre facelift 1.9 standard height as far as know on 16inch z stars
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

tangomachine wrote:thanks I was a bit skeptical when it says can be fitted in 2minutes! Mines a pre facelift 1.9 standard height as far as know on 16inch z stars
I reckon you should be OK as with standard suspension you have a little more room for fitting the socks :)

2 mins would be pushing it for all 4 tyres but with practice less than 10 mins lol

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I bought some snow socks a couple of years back, on the premise that they should be easier to fit than chains, but still haven't had cause to fit them. I carry them in winter just in case I get stuck, as they might just make the difference to get going again.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

that's why I want some really. just to get up a slight hill to my house off the very busy main road like tonight the car is round the corner. Will hardly ever use them I know. Im only thinking this because I got stuck tonight on a quiet street. Luckily I was out side someone's house who gave us a push otherwise I'd of had to abandon it.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

snow socks

Post by Brian H »

I have snow socks for the family car and used them with great success, using a pair of marigold gloves when putting them on :oops: . The gloves help save your sleeves from getting filthy as as the wheel arches are never clean when you come to put the snow socks on.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I used them for the first time last Friday. They are a bit of a job to fit on the zed due to the clearance between wheel and bodywork but once fitted they are very good. I work on an airfield and there was about 4 inches of snow and outside the roads were packed ice for a few miles before I took them off. The car is a standard 3.0 with original 17" wheels.
Definitely worth having :)
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

tangomachine wrote:Has anyone used snow socks or snow chains (whatever you call them these days) on a z3. Only use the car when essential in this weather and because of the layout of my road I can't get back outside my house and I don't like leaving it too far away incase it gets vandalised.

Hmm So you want snow socks to get your car moving - have you thought about the fact if you can't get it moving "naturally" - then you'll also have problems with braking?!
Buy some wintertyres - and think about all the advantages you'll get - decent grip and hopefully no damages to your lovely Zed - I know I would not move my car an inch without wintertyres - yes they cost money - but a crash og scratch/ damage could cost even more - others og your own life - is life not worth that expense????
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Lidl currently have snow chains at £20 per set. Proper German quality TUV approved.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Ferdinand wrote:

Hmm So you want snow socks to get your car moving - have you thought about the fact if you can't get it moving "naturally" - then you'll also have problems with braking?!
Buy some wintertyres - and think about all the advantages you'll get - decent grip and hopefully no damages to your lovely Zed - I know I would not move my car an inch without wintertyres - yes they cost money - but a crash og scratch/ damage could cost even more - others og your own life - is life not worth that expense????
I agree Ferdinand, but the problem in the UK is, most people don't even know winter tyres exist and don't think its worth the added expense as we don't get that much snow or harsh winter conditions. I decided to go the half way house route and went for all season tyres, even with these with the snow were getting at the moment I'm amazed at the difference and improved grip over summer tyres. I can see though in the UK this is going to become a problem if our winters become harsher as over the past 3 years they have. The Brits do make me laugh especially on car forums as most deny they need winter tyres and that they can cope perfectly well using summer tyres, even if mean them nearly dying in the process :roll:

Tim.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TitanTim wrote:The Brits do make me laugh especially on car forums as most deny they need winter tyres and that they can cope perfectly well using summer tyres, even if mean them nearly dying in the process :roll:

Tim.
Brits are, on the whole, stupid. I'm British, so I can say that.

I just don't get why people expect to be able to drive without changing their driving style, regardless of the conditions. I drove from Manchester to Bucks on Sunday night in my 4-wheel-drive Subaru Legacy, and was being overtaken on the motorway by all sorts of cars that just weren't, in my opinion, giving any thought to the snow and slush that was sitting on the carriageway. I saw a car on its side on the the other carriageway. No doubt the driver of that car will blame the usual ''they' - 'They should have made sure the roads were cleared".