Z3 Engines Pull to Redline?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
barbancourt

Not specified

Z3 Engines Pull to Redline?

Post by barbancourt »

I had a beater E39 523i for a year that I picked up as a stopgap in between cars. The engine seemed to have enough power for getting that heavy car around. It was zippy, but not fast. Surprisingly, the low end torque was not too bad, it was the top end that was pretty pathetic. The car simply ran out of steam at about 4,600 - 5,000 RPM all the way to redline. It felt like a truck motor. It could have been the specific car... it was old and used up, but it didn't seem to be a mechanical issue, IMO. Seemed to me like the engine could have used a more efficient cylinder head / intake.

Are there any 6 cylinder Z3 motors that have this same characteristic? Do they pull hard to redline? Are there any engines to avoid because of this? I'm not really talking about outright power. If so, are there any fixes to this, such as remapping or intakes? I've searched a bit and read a few posts here and other forums about swapping to the M50 manifolds on certain engines, but I'm interested to hear peoples' personal accounts with them as well. I'm sure someone will tell me to "search", so I'm prepared for that eventuality. Maybe I need to be a more efficient searcher. :D

Enjoying learning about these cars, while I'm in the process of purchasing. Thanks to all.
ImageImageImage
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Z3 Engines Pull to Redline?

Post by Z3cade »

If you want an engine that pulls hard them go for an M

I had a 2.8 and did the manifold conversion.. Aloud it to breath Easyer at top end but still wasn't what I wanted so bought an M :D

The 3.0 would be a good cheaper alternative
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

I have a 2.8 with mods, it pulls to redline with ease, my daily driver is a E92 335i with loads more power, when I drive the Zed it always brings a smile to my face :D
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You can replace the OEM manifold with an M50 manifold. The intakes are less restricted as in the Z3. I gather tthe Z3 oem intake was a compromise to meet USA / EU emissions controls. If you search the Z3 Knowledgebase, and or Stock Exchange under M5 intake manifold, you will come across the forum member that preps the M50 intakes complete with adapters etc etc...It'll allow the motor to smoothly reach 7000 RPM easily. You could also try to have it re-mapped once you have done the intake. I achieve 70kph in 1st, 100 kph in second160kph (100mph) comfortably in 3rd gear and can tke it well nigh the 240 in top before I chicken out. i've had the motor re-mapped, done the intake, fitted full M style exhaust system, removed the Cat completely and fitted a chip which has increased the performance by around 12 - 15%. The intakes are an easy DIY, and if you find the post as I suggested, it's relatively cheap.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

I'm currently looking through the available mods for the 2.8 although can vouch for captain above, the 3.2 M3 engine in a Z3 is a whole lot of fun and sounds epic, my old man had a 2002 model and it was beautiful!

Having said this, the 2.8 has enough, especially for the weight of the car. I had an E39 528 for a few months as a project that never really got underway but whilst that felt quick enough, considering the Z3 has exactly the same engine, it's a different feeling altogether. Also don't forget these straight 6 Beemers are torque all the way so the fun isn't quite at the top range of the revs, it's more low down. Having said this I have the M50 mani conversion on the way to let it breathe a bit more although the word is that you lose a bit of low end with this.

Put 2 like for like BMW S6's on the strip at Santa Pod, the one that changes gear that little bit earlier will probably be more effective.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

barbancourt wrote: Surprisingly, the low end torque was not too bad, it was the top end that was pretty pathetic. The car simply ran out of steam at about 4,600 - 5,000 RPM all the way to redline.
That sounds like a Vanos problem, doesn't it?
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

I doubt that it is a fundamental problem needing mods to correct, it is more likely to be spark plugs, ignition, vaneos etc. that will just need working through to find the problem.
My 2.2 revs quite happily to the red line, oops that'll be the rev limiter. I exited a dual carridgeway roundabout in 2nd waiting for the car in front to move over and did not realise I was so close to the red line as the engine is so smooth.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

I've got a 3.0i but I did test-drive a couple of 2.8s before I bought. I found that in both cars the engine and gearbox setup delivered consistently smooth power throughout the rev-range with the 3.0I clearly having a bit more punch.

I regularly take mine to the red line and don't notice a significant loss of power until I get 300-500 rpm over and then it cuts and has actually caught me out a couple of times because she feels so capable all the way up to that point there it almost cuts without warning! I've got used to keeping an eye on the revs now :P

I've not had any experience in the Z3m (one day maybe!) but I would expect it to be similar and I'd imagine you would notice more power and torque in the lower range? M owners correct me on that if it's wrong.

In contrast, my Mum's got an S2000 at the moment and that drops off at about 9000rpm which sounds fantastic but causes havoc. You don't get much power until 7k and by then you're already over the speed limit. You have to drive it hard all the time and she only gets the best out of it on the track - and her speeding fines prove it! She was really impressed with my 3.0 and loved the way it has power on demand whenever you want it.