changing rear springs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
M3BMC

M roadster S50

changing rear springs

Post by M3BMC »

I have just tried to replace my snapped rear springs on my m roadster with eibachs. Having jacked up rear, I removed wheel and 18mm bolt from shock. I struggled to get broken spring out but when i released the handbrake it made things easier! Having got the broken spring out there was no way i could get the new spring in. Have i missed something? Do i need to have both sides jacked up to help matters or do i need to undo something else to get the gap open far enough to get the new spring in. Most opinions suggest that spring compressors are not required for the job. Help help help. Thanks
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: changing rear springs

Post by Deano1712 »

Disconnect the ARB. That will let you push the arm lower. Its a bit tricky getting the spring out. With the shock and arb off it just needs some brute force to push the arm down.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

Ahhhh Thats much better, undid the anti roll bar and they came straight out. Thanks Zedonist and Deano. I should be really pleased now but having finished the job I find that the ride height has increased 5cm from before. The eibachs are E2059-140 and they replaced the standard BMW ones. I wasn't expecting lowering springs to increase the ride height! Has anyone else got eibachs on their M roadster and if so do you know which eibach ref number they are?
I haven't done the fronts yet but I don't want the same thing to happen so it now looks like a hot rod!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Nice ass ... :shock:

I used Eibach lowering springs on my Z...at first it seemed they were as high as OEM, but soon settled DOWN....
I assume you went onto the Eibach website, and selected / checked the appropriate part number you required before ordering?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

There possibly the wrong springs.. I have 30mm lower springs on my M. Springs do tend to settle but that looks to high IMO
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

Thanks all. I couldn't find a part no from eibach either but demontweeks told me that was the correct set. They obviously aren't right. Will have to get on to eibach in the morning. Needed them for mot so will have to get it tested on these big springs then sort it out!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

M3BMC wrote:Ahhhh Thats much better, undid the anti roll bar and they came straight out. Thanks Zedonist and Deano. I should be really pleased now but having finished the job I find that the ride height has increased 5cm from before. The eibachs are E2059-140 and they replaced the standard BMW ones. I wasn't expecting lowering springs to increase the ride height! Has anyone else got eibachs on their M roadster and if so do you know which eibach ref number they are?
I haven't done the fronts yet but I don't want the same thing to happen so it now looks like a hot rod!
Wrong springs, they should not look anywhere near like that.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The Eibach Pro Sport springs for the Z3 are what you want. I would imagine the specs will be the same for the 3.0 Z as for the M. The weight of the car at the rear isn't any different except for the extra exhaust on the M.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

Checked with Eibach and they don't do a set of pro springs for the Z3M. They used to do a set but they are discontinued. As the engine is heavier i don't want to fit 3.0 springs. Surprised this isn't a widely talked about issue as everyone seems to say fit eibachs!!! Have ordered a set of H&R instead.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

M3BMC wrote:Checked with Eibach and they don't do a set of pro springs for the Z3M. They used to do a set but they are discontinued. As the engine is heavier i don't want to fit 3.0 springs. Surprised this isn't a widely talked about issue as everyone seems to say fit eibachs!!! Have ordered a set of H&R instead.
Hope you got your money back from demontweeks?
Simes123

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Simes123 »

I did this job, and it was a right pain in the elbow. Just pop the springs out, they said.... I lost skin, bone, patience, temper, blood!

Can't remember doing the ARB though - sounds like that's the key to this! Wish I'd known.....