alarm led

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

alarm led

Post by wyn02 »

Hi. I noticed yesterday that the alarm led on the front centre console was brocken. When I took it out there were three wires soldered to it, does anyone know what the third wire would be for? Thanks.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: alarm led

Post by BladeRunner919 »

It's a switch as well as an led. If you press it in before setting the alarm it disables the motion sensors.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Is it the small round alarm light? If so it is as Bladerunner919 describes.

The alarm systems changed from the separate keyfob type to the integrated fob type in and around 1999 IIRC, the change in system also changed the style of indicator light. I had a look at your profile and was not sure that the small round light was fitted to a 2000 model?
wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wyn02 »

Yes its just one small led, it doesn't seem to be a push button.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

wyn02 wrote:Yes its just one small led, it doesn't seem to be a push button.
It is. It's probably just stuck.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

It's probably the same as mine was, the red plastic cover cracked so it's not obvious that the broken cover used to be a push button. It plugs into the alarm module behind the glove box, part 4 on this diagram. It's £11.51 from Cooper BMW and comes as an entire plug/cable/switch - you can't buy the plastic cover separately.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wyn02 »

Thanks all. I'll order one from there.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

wyn02 wrote:Thanks all. I'll order one from there.
Hi Wyn - did you manage to get this part I have just tried CooperBMW and they say they cannot source it? :?:
wyn02

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wyn02 »

Hi j. I ordered it but later was told that they no longer stock it. So still got a broken dash bulb. Has any one got any ideas of a replacement.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The switch is just a momentary switch with illumination, sourcing another one might not be too hard if you do not mind it looking a little different. IIRC there are three wires that connect the switch:
  • Common
    Trigger
    Light
I'll have a look about to see if I can find a suitable switch.

Brian
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Could you use something like this?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

g8jka wrote:Could you use something like this?
That switch is a latching switch, if I remember correctly the alarm system just needs a momentary signal to disarm the sensors.

RS Components have a switch which I think will do.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

g8jka wrote:Could you use something like this?
Almost. That one latches - Brian said it was a momentary switch. The four pins shouldn't be a problem, just tie (well solder) the returns in a common. Depending on the voltage of the LED, it may need an appropriate resistor in series with it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Brian H wrote:RS Components have a switch which I think will do.
That looks better, Brian. The LED is sold separately, so you should be able to get one the right voltage - the one they link to is 12v - you'd need to check what voltage the alarm puts out with a multimeter, unless the rating of the original LED is given somewhere.

Cheers R,
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Robert T wrote:
Brian H wrote:RS Components have a switch which I think will do.
That looks better, Brian. The LED is sold separately, so you should be able to get one the right voltage - the one they link to is 12v - you'd need to check what voltage the alarm puts out with a multimeter, unless the rating of the original LED is given somewhere.

Cheers R,
I no longer have this type of switch, if someone measures/confirms the voltage I have an account with RS and could put a few together with cable tails on if people are interested?
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Thanks guys - great input and assistance as always. :bow Will have a go at measuring voltage over the weekend.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Brian H wrote:
I no longer have this type of switch, if someone measures/confirms the voltage I have an account with RS and could put a few together with cable tails on if people are interested?
Have had a look today. As previously mentioned, there are 3 wires dark blue, silver grey and brown. There as a permanent 5v on dark blue. Silver grey pulses between .3 and 1v when system is armed (i.e flashing light).

As you said Brian an RS will be slightly different but as our Zeds age and spares become rarer it's something we have to accept.

Cheers

Colin
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

PM Sent
Damon

M roadster S50

Post by Damon »

I also have this problem now. It went walkabouts after coming back from the garrage for a throttle cable replacement and a new soft top. I've looked everywhere in the car and can't find it.
Has anyone sourced a replacement switch?

To be honnest i neved used it. It just looks bad without it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

[quote="Damon"]..........Has anyone sourced a replacement switch? [quote]

From my experience I think the only way you will get a proper replacement is from someone breaking a Zed - there are a few going at the moment.

On mine the LED was still working (I still had the lense cover) but the switch was not. I had a great deal of assistance from a fellow forum member and although he found a switch to do the job, the current is so low we could not get the light to illuminate when it was installed. I ended up with a compromise in that the original led was still used and the replacement was installed as switch only.

Suggest you keep looking under the seats - it will have pinged off somewhere in the car.
Damon

M roadster S50

Post by Damon »

Thanks for the quick reply Jonco.
I'll have another look around. Without taking the seats out I don't see how I can look any harder. On the plus side I did find £1.01. There is also the chance (as the roof was being replaced) that the roof was open when the button was bashed. It could be anywhere in their workshop. Sounds like its a trip to the breakers. There is a switch/button on ebay for £25. I don't like the look of it though.