scanner/resetting tool

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

scanner/resetting tool

Post by Rafolian »

Hi everyone, have just bought from Amazon an Autel Maxiscan ms309 OBD11/EOBD for the main purpose of putting out my airbag light which has been on since I removed the wheel. This was supposed to be complient with my 1998 2.8 Z3 but it isn't!
Any ideas anyone? Also, since the wheel has been off the horn has ceased to work, I have had it of an on a couple of times to check connections etc and also the fuse but still no joy!
Any help appreciated.

Cheers Ian.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: scanner/resetting tool

Post by dallantan »

Take the LED out the back of the cluster unit??
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

dallantan wrote:Take the LED out the back of the cluster unit??
It's a bulb, not an LED, and no, that won't work as the light has to come on during startup self-test.

Do you get anything out of the scanner at all? On a '98 car I presume you are using the 20-pin underbonnet connector with an adapter cable? I would suggest taking it to someone nearby who has a working code-reader, but I doubt there are many forum members near you - though some might be tempted for a free holiday. :wink:

Horn sounds like a problem with the slip ring. Not had mine off, so I can't comment further.

R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Even if it did read codes it won't reset the airbag light. It's a OBDII scanner for reading generic OBD codes. You need something BMW-specific.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Zedonist wrote: P.S. Mods, can we ban Dallantan use of the word LED, when he should have said bulb, misleading comment.........

Can we ban Zedonist and Robert T for the use of the word 'bulb' .......that is a daffodil or tulip.
It should be a lamp or indicator..

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Zedonist wrote:
P.S. Mods, can we ban Dallantan use of the word LED, when he should have said bulb, misleading comment.........

DAMNIT!
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I have had my airbag light on for a few years. I was forced to sort it because of the new MOT test. I thought i was in for a big bill, anyway, i was lucky. I treated myself to a cheap tool off ebay, £18. The tool found the problem and attempted a reset, but the light was back on straight away. I fiddled around under the passenger seat hoping i could get away with not having to remove the seat. Did another reset and the light has stayed off. It comes on at ignition stage but goes off.

I think i was lucky.

Tags
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

I got one of them for £18 too worked a treat mine was the connection under the drivers seat .one thing to consider if you have had the steering wheel off you may have damaged the squib very easily done if your not carefull that would put the light on too
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Problems both solved! Bought a resetting tool off e-bay for under 20 quid ( light off in a couple of seconds) and horn working again (changed slip-ring)!