lowering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Eastsix

Not specified

lowering

Post by Eastsix »

I find myself thinking about wheels and lowering. Now, I know this isn't the kind of thing a bloke should admit on a forum like this, but I don't know much about what goes on behind the wheels of a car. There doesn't seem to be a guide to lowering in the knowledge base, and what I really need is an idiots guide. at the moment she looks like this

Im not looking for performance improvement, I just want to improve the look - not slam it but have the wheels fill the arches a little more. maybe drop it just a few cms or so. whats the simplest and most effective way of doing this without breaking the bank? If anyone feels like doing a guide or can point to one that would be MUCH appreciated :D

Also though, does anyone have any before and after pics of lowering so I can see real world results of different efforts?
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: lowering

Post by ShinyDave »

I'd really appreciate this also.

I'd like to lower my zed to fill the rear arches better but confused what to get as I have the M sport setup and unsure what drop I would get.
2002 3.0 Sport in Sterling Grey with full red/black leather

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Thought you were selling your zed? :lol:

You want some 30mm lowering springs.. Loads on eBay etc.. I used a cheap set from eBay on my 2.8 and they were perfect.. We're around £80 iirc..

30mm lowered

///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Z3cade wrote:Thought you were selling your zed? :lol:

You want some 30mm lowering springs.. Loads on eBay etc.. I used a cheap set from eBay on my 2.8 and they were perfect.. We're around £80 iirc..

30mm lowered

In theory.. But 2 things have happened - a dirth of interest, and me finding the picture of the blue 2.8 with the hamaan roof! It is now a permanent fixture as my tablet wallpaper, it doesn't get old. If I actually spend money on it soon, I'll withdraw it from sale probably. is there a guide anywhere for replacing springs? and can anyone recommend a brand? it wont make any difference with spacers I assume?
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Eastsix wrote:I find myself thinking about wheels and lowering. Now, I know this isn't the kind of thing a bloke should admit on a forum like this, but I don't know much about what goes on behind the wheels of a car. There doesn't seem to be a guide to lowering in the knowledge base, and what I really need is an idiots guide. at the moment she looks like this

Im not looking for performance improvement, I just want to improve the look - not slam it but have the wheels fill the arches a little more. maybe drop it just a few cms or so. whats the simplest and most effective way of doing this without breaking the bank? If anyone feels like doing a guide or can point to one that would be MUCH appreciated :D

Also though, does anyone have any before and after pics of lowering so I can see real world results of different efforts?

Well, I'm like you, I don't know much about chocks but I think your car looks good like that and if you sell your car you'll not get your investment back... I think you should enjoy your car as it is and spend money on something else! Or do it but keep your car...
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Pierrick wrote:

Well, I'm like you, I don't know much about chocks but I think your car looks good like that and if you sell your car you'll not get your investment back... I think you should enjoy your car as it is and spend money on something else! Or do it but keep your car...

Thankyou, yes im in a bit of an odd situation. But the more I look at this photo the more my eye is drawn to the expanse between the wheel and the arch!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

To be fair a spring is a spring.. Most swear by eibach and H&R springs but mine were buy a company on eBay called Lowsuspension or something like that.. They were fine and it handled well..

If you look in my car thread 'z3 cades zed' in the gallery there's few pics from when I changed my shocks and springs
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Or you could go this route, not sure where you would drive this :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I did mine fairly recently...I bought a set of Eibach "sportline" springs which were specific to my car...You can go onto their website, and check which springs you need to fit your car, and the cost. My springs lowered the car by 30mm. I don't think you want any more than the 30mm. I already find that some of the more severe speed bumps need to be negotiated at an angle vs head on to avoid contact under the car. I have to say, that the biggest difference after lowering apart from the stance, is the decrease in "butt flop" on pulling away...you know that feeling that the rear bumper is about to bottom out...also the "roll" when cornering is substantially lessened now. The tyres fill the arches sufficiently to give the aesthetics a boost. I have 18" wheels with Eagle F1 245/40 tyres all round.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Z3cade wrote:Thought you were selling your zed? :lol:

30mm lowered

LIES!!

dont listen to this chap ;) ;) (HI MATE)

get yourself on eGay, buy some cheap crappy coilovers and put it as low as possible.

then take the bump stops out

then take the rear spring cup holders out

then drive it real slow
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

LIES,LIES...FILTHY LIES...
Don't listen to Dallantan...he'd have you sliding on your belly....His car looks like something out of the Flinstones...it doesn't have a floor anymore...and just so he can perv womens' feet.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

im also thinking of lowering my zed a little :?:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look for Eibach or schnitzer springs on eBay...30mm max...
"Normal is overrated"

ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Most Z3 lowering springs seem to be for non M-tec setup.

Should I get Z3M springs as I have the M suspension?

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

ShinyDave wrote:Most Z3 lowering springs seem to be for non M-tec setup.
There was a thread going a few days ago about the MTECH suspension fitted to some non-M cars. It seems it was already lowered by around 20mm and was a significant upgrade in terms of sporty firmness. You may therefore have limited scope to go much further given that 30mm seems to be the recommended practical maximum.
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

This is how she looks right now - surely I can drop her a bit?

RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Eastsix wrote:
Pierrick wrote: But the more I look at this photo the more my eye is drawn to the expanse between the wheel and the arch!
I agree. mine also looks far too practical. i can currently get over speed bumps effortlessly and i must rectify it! :wink:

So if we get the springs off fleabay do we need to get them fitted? if we do it ourselves will we need new and expensive tools? and will it ping off and remove parts of my skull during fitting?

:dunce:
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's quite an easy task...you'll need a few items like axle stands and more than one jack....and the spring should be under compression when being removed....it may be useful to have a spcouple of decent spring compressors though to hold the spring compressed when you do remove it...or you may do yourself some serious damage.
"Normal is overrated"

ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

I agree. mine also looks far too practical. i can currently get over speed bumps effortlessly and i must rectify it! :wink:

So if we get the springs off fleabay do we need to get them fitted? if we do it ourselves will we need new and expensive tools? and will it ping off and remove parts of my skull during fitting?

:dunce:[/quote]

I think you misunderstand - LOWERING your car will make it a LESS practical 2 seater fabric roofed sports car.

Handling heavy mechanical parts can be dangerous - if you fear loosing body parts then consult with your local trusted mechanic.

:)

Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

RichP wrote:
Eastsix wrote:
Pierrick wrote: But the more I look at this photo the more my eye is drawn to the expanse between the wheel and the arch!

:dunce:

HA! The exact questions i had but was too afraid to ask! Seeing as im not alone can i ask another ignorant question? From the pics on Zcades thread it looks like the rear springs sit independently, and the front springs are around the shock absorbers. Is this correct? Does the word 'coilovers' have something to do with this?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, the rears are independent of the shocks and are actually pretty easy to swap. The fronts, as you say, have the shock & spring as a unit (MacPherson strut) and are more difficult as you have to remove the strut completely, then dismantle it. It's not terribly difficult, but certainly much more of a task than the rears.
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Yes, the rears are independent of the shocks and are actually pretty easy to swap. The fronts, as you say, have the shock & spring as a unit (MacPherson strut) and are more difficult as you have to remove the strut completely, then dismantle it. It's not terribly difficult, but certainly much more of a task than the rears.
Great! thankyou. But it seems the front springs are sold separately to the Shocks, they just happen to fit over it then? I shall google MacPherson strut to make me less ignorant modern desk-based man and a little more like my dad.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Eastsix wrote: But it seems the front springs are sold separately to the Shocks, they just happen to fit over it then?
Exactly. Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

sorry to be off topic but about that pic above with the slammed car. The black bit on the back of the boot is that just a sticker or a certain part you can buy? if so what's it called?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

tangomachine wrote:sorry to be off topic but about that pic above with the slammed car. The black bit on the back of the boot is that just a sticker or a certain part you can buy? if so what's it called?
It's just been painted or wrapped in black. My M has the same set up, painted number plate surround
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

tangomachine wrote:sorry to be off topic but about that pic above with the slammed car. The black bit on the back of the boot is that just a sticker or a certain part you can buy? if so what's it called?
It is the ///M number plate carrier (painted black, as Z3cade said) - not sure what Zed you have, but non-M cars have the number plate on the bumper, and a different boot which is also why it may look unusual.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I lowered mine on Eibach's 30mm all round and it looks so much better. As soon as you fit bigger wheels I think you really need to lower the car to get the car and wheels looking there best.

Here is mine with the 18's before I lowered it

And after

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

g8jka wrote:I lowered mine on Eibach's 30mm all round and it looks so much better. As soon as you fit bigger wheels I think you really need to lower the car to get the car and wheels looking there best.

Here is mine with the 18's before I lowered it

And after

Thanks, that shows it really clearly. Makes all the difference. Nice wheels too!
In terms of the brand of springs, Eibachs seem to cost £221. what do you get for the money over and above less expensive springs? I assume cheaper ones arent going to shatter at the first pothole!
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Id be very happy with that look but did that Zed start out with the M suspension or standard ??

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Eastsix wrote:Thanks, that shows it really clearly. Makes all the difference. Nice wheels too!
In terms of the brand of springs, Eibachs seem to cost £221. what do you get for the money over and above less expensive springs? I assume cheaper ones arent going to shatter at the first pothole!
I have had other springs on previous cars that were just cheap versions and they seemed to be fine, so I can't see any problems using a cheaper set. Like Liam says above, a spring is a spring, and anything has to be better than the standard BMW springs which are prone to snapping :shock:
ShinyDave wrote:Id be very happy with that look but did that Zed start out with the M suspension or standard ??
It is just the standard suspension to start. I am not sure on how the M suspension differs, if it is just the springs that are shorter than the standard ones then it should end up at the same height with these springs? It wouldn't drop it 30mm lower than the M suspension, it would just drop it 30mm from standard?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I think you just pay for the name when it comes to springs...

The cheap ones I bought off eBay were very good
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'm not really very knowledgeable about lowering, so if you use lowered springs do you need to change the shocks too or do the springs still 'operate' within the range of movement that the shock has?
I understand that you wouldn't be using all the possible extension that a standard shock offers, but would it be at risk of 'bottoming out' the shock?
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

The standard shocks will be fine with a 30mm drop.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Nothing to do with me but these are the cheapest I've found.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-0-2- ... 0516727255
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Captain wrote:The standard shocks will be fine with a 30mm drop.

Sent from my HTC Desire
As ^^ he said :D

Yes 30mm drop springs are fine you use with standard shocks.. If funds allow its a good idea to replace the shocks too ( if there the originals ) makes a massive differents :wink:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

stupot50 wrote:Nothing to do with me but these are the cheapest I've found.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-0-2- ... 0516727255

There the ones I used on my 2.8 :D

There perfect fit and I had no problems with them :wink:
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

There for the 1.9 :wink:
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

just bought some off huntert and fitted them looks very good def looks sexier but omg speed humps are a **** lol

C
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Z3cade wrote:
Are they different :?:
Image Image
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

RichP wrote:
Z3cade wrote:
Are they different :?:
I would say yes.. Because springs have different tension loads depending on the cars weight etc..
Go for the ones listed for your engine size. 6 cylinders are heavier than the 4 pots
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

On the subject of lowering, am I right to think that any E36 lowering springs fit the front and any E30 lowering springs fit the rear?

Not sure if I just have dodgy front shocks which I'll check first but mine feels like it needs 30mm drop on the front but at least 40mm on the rear, if not more :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The rear spring pads come in different thicknesses (5mm, 7.5mm and 10mm), so you can fine-tune the drop that way if needed. I think 7.5mm is standard.
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

Just a word of caution from my own experience, I had a beautiful Z3 3.0 a number of years ago and fell into the trap of believing I was missing something without all the uprated spring / damper combinations available to purchase for my delictation. So I researched the forums, found fantastic advice and "how to" information and set about buying eibach springs, bilstein dampers, new mounts and took the opportunity to change my brake discs and refurb the calipers at the same time.

I really enjoyed doing the work and using my torque wrench in anger but you know what? When I was finished I had transformed the car from a relatively comfortable and enjoyable drive, I had driven from Scotland to the South of France in it, into a "corner on rails" spine cruncher! I toyed with putting it back to OEM but unfortunately my wife had thrown the old bits out during one of here famous garage clean ups. Two months later it was sold and I had an Audi TT roadster.

I had a brief fling with a Z4 but got rid of it for the same reason, too harsh for me. Fortunately I was lucky enough to pick up another Z3 3.0 from a mate who bought a Caymnan recently but no suspension tinkering from me this time !!!
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

i read in another forum that lowering with springs causes a camber on the wheels that will shorten tyre life. anyone who has lowered experienced this?
Image Image
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

RichP wrote:i read in another forum that lowering with springs causes a camber on the wheels that will shorten tyre life. anyone who has lowered experienced this?
Yes :(

Mine has quite a lot of negative camber on the rear now, but even standard zeds that are not lowered have some. Its just the way they are. If you lowered it you will have more negative camber and will wear the insides of the tyres a lot quicker than normal.

You can get round this by swapping the rear tyres over between the 2 rear wheels once or twice to give them more life :wink:
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

You will definitely have negative camber after lowering the car, which also helps handling. The negative is that the inside of the tyre will wear. Also dependant on the size of tyres you running.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I don't mind a little bit more tyre wear if it means the car looks and handles better 8-) :drive
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

g8jka wrote:I don't mind a little bit more tyre wear if it means the car looks and handles better 8-) :drive
That's the way I see it :D
ImageImage
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

ahh but does it handle better :? :? :? itl certainly feel like your going faster through the bends more go kart,ish but is it any quicker our 2.8 has no body roll when cornering quickly in fact the limiting factor is usualy wheel spin and oversteer .and we can tour in comfort